• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from iFi iDAC 2 to Topping D90SE?

Wow this is an interesting review!
I would expect very similar results from both purifi setups but maybe you can detect differences.
every speaker I know sounds less "full" when low volume. Bigger speakers maybe better for low volume, I had a very big 4 way that sounded very full with low volume, not couldn’t compete with DHS in accurate imaging and soundstage.

for a small speaker the DHS is very good in low volume listening, even in my big room. And also capable of very satisfying club-disco beats when needed.

so for me a really all round sound, monitor like, but not fatigue or irritable sound. my best description would be like a good headphone :)

awaiting Your experience with these two similar power amps. I have an audiophonic purifi build, very pleased with that.

S-unny

update ... I was very successful to run the just the Bsn2 with power amps ! Thank you very much for your feedback

My plan was to run the following configurations
A: Bns2 -> Nad c298 purifi based amp -> Dhs
B: Bsn2 -> VTV purifi high power module amp -> Dhs

Config A is running currently and system sounds good.
Option B fell of the table because I decided to cancel my order for the Purifi based Amp (using higher current module 1ET7040SA) from the company VTV Amplifier. It seems to be a one man shop and takes a bit of patience to be comfortable with changing delivery dates.

I have a topping d90se DAC coming this weekend so should be able to do a comparison A (above) vs. A1 below
A1: Bsn2 -> topping d90se -> Nad c298 -> Dhs
I am really looking forward to understand how much difference an external DAC makes

Exciting to test the topping dac.
very curious if you will hear the same as me, a small but clear improvement of sound from this Topping d90se compared to the internal blue sound dac.

I guess you have a lot of choice amp-wise. I have the French made Audiophonics hPa-s400et, see the review on this site!

i can not compare the different purifi based amps, but they probably are all very good for the price. And enough power for the dynaudio heritage specials.

and matches fine with topping d90se dac as a pre amplifier.

S-unny

Topping d90se is in ! The first change I have noticed is that the volume jumps which is perhaps because I am making the XLR connection to my Amplifier (whereas I was passing RCA signal from my bsn2 earlier) ... so I am running 2 configs
A: Bsn2 -> Nad c298 -> Dhs ... { rca connection to Amp }
A1: Bsn2 -> topping d90se -> Nad c298 -> Dhs ... { toslink from Bsn2 to d90se, xlr from d90se to Amp }
will keep you posted as I learn more

S-unny

Barry, did you try using the topping D90SE as a preamplifer ? by removing the Bsn2 from the chain .

I am unable to increase the volume on D90SE above -0.00 dB on its display. I can lower it further in the negative territory but not raise it ! Hence, I dont get any sound out of the speakers ! the preAmp does not seem to be driving the power Amp.
Basically, I am attempting to run this config

bluetooth music --> topping d90se --> nad c298 --> Dhs

Last edited:
Top Bottom