• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from iFi iDAC 2 to Topping D90SE?

SpeakerGuy91

Hey guys.

Im pretty new here, my local audio forum recommend me to check out ASR reviews
I have been an iFi user from the start. from iDAC to iDAC 2 been using iFi products for 8-9 years. since 2013

Been out from audio equipment research for the past 3-4 years. But look at the recent hype about Topping.
Considering an upgrade from iFi iDAC 2 to Topping D90SE.
Looking at the SNR, Dynamic range, Topping D90Se appears to be much better.

My usual pairing of headphone is Senn 650, Grado SE125.
I have monitor speaker Focal Alpha 65+SVS SB2000 Sub.

What do you guys think?
Im going to audit D90SE soon, thinking to pair with A90 too

In my system (bluesound node 2021, audiophonics purifi stereo power amp, dynaudio heritage special) the topping d90se was indeed a small but clear upgrade in sound quality.
So this dac is now part of of my hifi system.

Only problem is it can not deal with optical signal from my Samsung tv because of too much jitter. Fortunately the bluesound node has a hdmi connection and through this it is possible to have the tv sound through my stereo speakers, sounds really great with movies!

OP
S

SpeakerGuy91

Hey Barry,
That makes me pretty excited about the Topping D90SE. I've personally tried even Fiio K5Pro (a very budgeted amp/dac) has better dynamic range than iDAC2. because it has a newer DAC.

I can't imagine how much improvement, jumping from iDAC2 to Topping

OP
S

SpeakerGuy91

do you hear hiss coming out of your speakers?
Just to share my experience.
After looking at Amir post about iUSB from iFi. Ihave own an iUSB from iFi for 8 years(their ver.1)
after looking at the review, I removed the usb filter unit. my hissing sound is near gone!

But, yes, there's still a little bit of hissing for my Focal,its audible if i place my ear 5cm near the speaker.
Hissing noise is very audible when I use low impendence headphone such as Grado.(may due to aging iFi iCAN)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to share my experience.
After looking at Amir post about iUSB from iFi. Ihave own an iUSB from iFi for 8 years(their ver.1)
after looking at the review, I removed the usb filter unit. my hissing sound is near gone!

But, yes, there's still a little bit of hissing for my Focal,its audible if i place my ear 5cm near the speaker.
Hissing noise is very audible when I use low impendence headphone such as Grado.(may due to aging iFi iCAN)

the hiss might get reduced with the Topping D90SE, but that's pretty much the only positive change that will occur to your experience.

OP
S

SpeakerGuy91

the hiss might get reduced with the Topping D90SE, but that's pretty much the only positive change that will occur to your experience.
really look forward on that,
I have schedule a audition soon for the Topping D90SE, gonna compare it one and another.
Thanks for pointing out the only improvement i might get :D Cheers

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
really look forward on that,
I have schedule a audition soon for the Topping D90SE, gonna compare it one and another.
Thanks for pointing out the only improvement i might get :D Cheers

I hope i didn't burst your bubble, I just wanted you to spend your money in the best way possible, and keep your expectations at bay.

I've come to recognize that I need to attempt to satisfy my inner lust for perfection, however ephemeral that satisfaction may be, and thus I'll soon be buying a D90SE. Will I hear the impact of the numeric perfection represented by the '90? Doubtful; maybe even impossible. Eventually, even the mighty 90 will become hackneyed. Familiarity breeds contempt. But who cares? It's fun to lurch from lust to lust!

S-unny

In my system (bluesound node 2021, audiophonics purifi stereo power amp, dynaudio heritage special) the topping d90se was indeed a small but clear upgrade in sound quality.
So this dac is now part of of my hifi system.

Only problem is it can not deal with optical signal from my Samsung tv because of too much jitter. Fortunately the bluesound node has a hdmi connection and through this it is possible to have the tv sound through my stereo speakers, sounds really great with movies!
I recently puchased a pair of dhs and am now shopping/sampling for a matching amplifier. Wondering how you arrived at pairing the Purifi with the dhs ? I spent a month playing the dhs with bluesound powernode which is a class D Amp aswell. Pretty decent. Now am looking to mate the dhs with a class A/B amp - perhaps the Marantz PM7000N and Cambridge Audio CXA81

I had a powernode also ;-) with the heritage specials.

was very good for the money! And very reliable and easy to work with.

but wanted more power, so I tried the audiophonic purifi Power amp. Sounded a little better, and was very affordable at 1300 euro. And class D, so no heat and could place in cupboard. Stable in 4 ohm!
more tight bass and plays more full and smooth. Louder also.

then I coupled it with a topping d90se as a preamp, fully balanced. And again sound quality improved, more detail and realistic instruments. And not fatiguing. switched from powernode to node, with usb output.

so these are my upgrades in the past 6 months. Happy with the results.

dynaudio heritage specials can handle a lot of power. And the purifi power amp delivers clean power.

so good bang for the bucks.

NAD M10 or M33 would also make a good minimalistic system with the Heritage Specials, but more expensive and not better I think.

S-unny

but wanted more power, so I tried the audiophonic purifi Power amp. Sounded a little better, and was very affordable at 1300 euro. And class D, so no heat and could place in cupboard. Stable in 4 ohm!

then I coupled it with a topping d90se as a preamp, fully balanced. And again sound quality improved, more detail and realistic instruments. And not fatiguing. switched from powernode to node, with usb output.

dynaudio heritage specials can handle a lot of power. And the purifi power amp delivers clean power.

Are you using the LPA S400 ET ? These put out a shocking 2x400 @ 4 ohms ! I think my speakers would jump into my lap with that power ... On switching from B Powernode to a Marnatz pm700n (just a day old into testing) I have been quite surprised with couple of changes
- much crisper and cleaner voice ( typically i avoid vocals, but am now interested)
- more energetic and focused bass
The marantz (class A/B) is rated at 60W at 8 ohms. I am assuming then is about 80-100 at 4ohms which should be comparable to Powernode. However, there is something strange about the M sound in the way it is organized. I will to listen more to articulate this better.

My approach currently is to investigate more integrated amps and over the next few months and will then examine a few "separates". At this stage my destination is {bluesound node + denafrips ARES II dac + exposure 2510 with dHS}. I am sure this will change as i learn more. I have added your "topping d90se" to my trial list. Amazon here in the US has a free return policy so should make it easier.

Thankyou very much for explaining your process and setup.

S-unny

just confirming - so your topping d90se DAC also has a pre-Amp built in {or perhaps it is the volume know which serves so } ?

fyi ... I am looking to get a Purifi based Amp - either NAD c298 or VTV based 1ET7040A which are both Power Amps and my initial impression was/is I should be able to mate them with a Bluesound node 2 because it has a volume feature built in. Once I had done this testing my plan is to introduce a DAC in the mix

Yes the topping d90se has a built in pre amp. With XLR balanced output and remote control.

I mean that you can use it as a pre amp by using the volume control. And use the node 130i for attachment devices, like a TV in my case.

together with purifi power amp, works perfectly. bluesound node 130I with usb to topping dac/pre amp.
you can read a lot about these Chinese dacs on this site.

S-unny

Just confirming, so you are running
1) Bsn2(n130) -> topping d90se -> Purifi power amp -> Dhs ?

Just curious though, did you try running
2) Bsn2(n130) -> Purifi power amp -> Dhs ? ie no external DAC. I am wondering if that will work & how it sounds ?

I am not trying to isolate effect of an external DAC - I know that it improves sound. Just that, I have a NAD c298 & a VTV amp (both Purifi based) coming in next week and my plan is to attempt 2) above.

An audiophile friend of mine here in Scottsdale, Arizona claims that Bsn2(n130) will not function properly as a pre-amp because of some impedance mismatch issues. I don't think that should be a problem & wanted to understand if you had gone down that inquiry path and what you had discovered.

Thank you very much for your inputs.

1) yessss
2)I have used this setting for a few months. very good for convenience, sounds very good. Perfectly usable system and love the volume control with the bluesound app. Also with movies you can use the remote from tv. Very easy for my wife. And for me too….. So I can really recommend this setup.

topping dac is better than node, but my wife does not hear it…..not interested too….

S-unny

1) yessss
2)I have used this setting for a few months. very good for convenience, sounds very good. Perfectly usable system and love the volume control with the bluesound app. Also with movies you can use the remote from tv. Very easy for my wife. And for me too….. So I can really recommend this setup.

topping dac is better than node, but my wife does not hear it…..not interested too….
Thankyou very much for your inputs. I have 2 amps coming in this week and I will be running an A/B comparison on this setup
A: Bns2 -> Nad c298 purifi based amp -> Dhs
B: Bsn2 -> VTV purifi high power module amp -> Dhs

The amp in setup B has a high current rating of 40 Amps and am curious to learn how Dhs responds to that. I am hoping to see an effect perhaps similar to diesel engines over petrol wherein the Diesels generate easy low speed torque. For this to translate equivalently, I am looking for a higher room filling low volume response with the Dhs !

Top Bottom