• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from DT 700 Pro X, searching for soundstage

peterphoenix

I have the DT 700 pro x since the launch and love it, good bass, mid range and smooth trebles, but its soundstage is too small.
Please, does anyone know any headphone with similar frequency response and better soundstage without leaking too much?
I don't mind to use EQ. I'm already using the voicemeeter as u can see in the attachment.
I have 2 cheap dac/amps, the Fosi audio Q4 and the Fiio E10K TC
But I can afford buy something like the Topping D3 pro + or similar if needed.

Attachments

• voicemeeter-eq-dt-700-pro-x.jpg
    voicemeeter-eq-dt-700-pro-x.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 116

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Beyerdynamic MMX300 headset is larger than the stage on the DT700 if you have to stay with closed back. The difference is really when the mmx300 pads are new and still firm if buying used. The DT177X is also good, both are versatile in tuning and easy to drive.

Last edited:
OP
P

peterphoenix

The Beyerdynamic MMX300 headset is larger than the stage on the DT700 if you have to stay with closed back. The difference is really when the mmx300 pass are new and still firm if buying used. The DT177X is also good, both are versatile in tuning and easy to drive.
Thank you, I'll look for those.
About the closed back, I think semi-open would be an option, but open-back would wake up my wife late night.

OP
P

peterphoenix

The Beyerdynamic MMX300 headset is larger than the stage on the DT700 if you have to stay with closed back. The difference is really when the mmx300 pass are new and still firm if buying used. The DT177X is also good, both are versatile in tuning and easy to drive.
After watching some reviews, I decided to try the Sennheiser HD560s. If it leaks too much, I'll keep searching.
To maybe help someone else, the budget option that came very often in comparisons was the Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R.

Dazerdoreal

Sometimes a bit EQing is enough to improve the soundstage.
Before you buy a new phone, you could try out the following things to improve the perceived soundstage with your 700 ProX:

- Reduce the mid-bass frequencies and add more deep bass frequencies instead
- Reduce 2000 hz and slightly raise ~1000hz and ~3000hz instead
- Reduce 9500 hz with a steep filter, and slightly raise 10000hz+ with a high shelf filter

These are changes many people associate with an improvement of soundstage. Try out if some of these work for you or not. Dont exaggerate it though.

By the way, have you heard about Oratory1990? He builds "optimal" EQ presets for headphones. This is his recommended EQ for the 700 Pro X:

If you really want to buy a new phone, you could check out one of these big planar closed headphones. The Monolith 1060c should be in your price range. The cups & drivers are huge so a perceived improvement of soundstage is likely.

I cannot promise the perceived improvent though. Soundstage is quite a subjective topic.
The natural frequency response of the 1060c might be worse than the response of the 700 proX. You might need to put some more work into EQ.

OP
P

peterphoenix

Sometimes a bit EQing is enough to improve the soundstage.
Before you buy a new phone, you could try out the following things to improve the perceived soundstage with your 700 ProX:

- Reduce the mid-bass frequencies and add more deep bass frequencies instead
- Reduce 2000 hz and slightly raise ~1000hz and ~3000hz instead
- Reduce 9500 hz with a steep filter, and slightly raise 10000hz+ with a high shelf filter

These are changes many people associate with an improvement of soundstage. Try out if some of these work for you or not. Dont exaggerate it though.

By the way, have you heard about Oratory1990? He builds "optimal" EQ presets for headphones. This is his recommended EQ for the 700 Pro X:

If you really want to buy a new phone, you could check out one of these big planar closed headphones. The Monolith 1060c should be in your price range. The cups & drivers are huge so a perceived improvement of soundstage is likely.

I cannot promise the perceived improvent though. Soundstage is quite a subjective topic.
The natural frequency response of the 1060c might be worse than the response of the 700 proX. You might need to put some more work into EQ.
Thank you so much. I'v tried the EQ as you suggested and I'v noticed some improvement.
The lesser the basses invading the mids, the more distance perceived.
But, unfortunately, it seems that the DT 700 pro X, as most of closed back headphones, has its limitations on soundstage.
I already bought the Sennheiser HD 560s and as soon as it arrives I'll come back here to comment.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you so much. I'v tried the EQ as you suggested and I'v noticed some improvement.
But, unfortunately, it seems that the DT 700 pro X, as most of closed back headphones, has its limitations on soundstage.
I already bought the Sennheiser HD 560s and as soon as it arrives I'll come back here to comment.
Those HD560s are open back and their soundstage is going to be different and touch better. I own the 560s and they’re excellent at sound staging and separation.

Dazerdoreal

Okay. Yes, open-backs generally tend to have better soundstage. :) I didnt realize that you want to switch to an open-back (because of leakage etc).

OP
P

peterphoenix

Thank you all for the suggestions. I was afraid of going to an open back headphone, but the Sennheiser HD560s doesn't leak that much as I expected.
In comparison, the DT 700 PRO X has more mass, like a bump in the volume, with a good separation, but in a small, confined space.
The HD560s has more space, even more separation, it's like everyone did a step back in the room.
To achieve the same overall volume of sound, in the HD560s I had to turn up the knob 5db on the topping DX3 pro+.
I drew roughly what I heard in my mind.

ref-soundstage-DT700PROX-vs-HD560s.jpg

Sound Traveler

Have you tried the DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm version? It sounds spacious to me with well defined sound layering.

Test this track:

Last edited:
OP
P

peterphoenix

Have you tried the DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm version? It sounds spacious to me with well defined sound layering.

Test this track:
thank you. I'v never tried the DT 770 Pro. But, I think the DT 700 PRO X should be an upgrade, right?
Anyway, I listened this track on Sennheiser HD560s and is quite spacious.

Top Bottom