• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from Denon X6700H?

IvanLionel

Suggestion needed on receiver/Amp upgrade. I have a 5.1.4 living room theater which I'm using for Stereo(30%), HT(40%) and gaming(30%). I feel that the median frequency is a bit insufficient. Recently, I have a budget to upgrade the system mainly focus on the receiver/amp.
My existing setup is:
Denon x6700h, Klipsch Forte IV (LR), the center is Klipsch RC-64III, the subwoofer is SVS SB-16 Ultra, the surround is Klipsch rp-600m, Klipsch PRO-180RPC(Atmos), 85X95J(TV).
I'm using an OPPO 205 as the media player to play UHD movies and CDs. Also, XSX for gaming, and TV for streaming.
I have about three ideas for upgrading now
1. Because the OPPO 205 has a DAC and it can be used as a pre-amp (with RCA and XLR outputs), if I configure a HIFI amp, the 205 uses HDMI to connect to 6700, which is only used when watching movies, and RCA or balanced output to the HIFI amp for music. In this way, I only need to open the 205-HIFI amplifier for music. But my question now is whether the cable of the subwoofer needs to be plugged and unplugged when I want to do music and movies (because music skips 6700), and the second is that it also loses a lot of EQ possibilities.
2. Add one integrated HIFI amp, 6700 for movies (HIFI integrated amp is used as a pure amp for L+R), and HIFI integrated amp for music. But there is still the problem that the subwoofer needs to be plugged and unplugged.
3. I also consider whether to directly upgrade the 6700 to A110 or 8500HA or even JBL's SDR-38 (but it only amplifies 7 channels, so it also needs an amplifier, and the price is a bit high). I don't know if it is necessary to equip a HIFI amp in this upgrade plan? I would also like to ask if the sound quality will be affected after the AVR is involved in the HIFI system? Then because Denon has no balanced input, it can only use RCA. Not sure if RCA is more disadvantaged than balanced line in the case of short distances?

BTW, my living room is about 15.4ft x 27.5ft, the height is 10ft. The space is kind of but not extremely open. The main listening area is the right side on the floor plan.
I know my questions are a little scattered, thanks again for the guidance!

Setup.jpg
HT Space copy.jpg

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Upgrading the receiver will do precisely nothing for your sound quality, and neither will adding an external 2 channel amp, the X6700H has decent internal amps. There is no point trying to bypass the AVR for 2 channel use.

The best thing you can do for your setup is add acoustic treatment to the room, and a second subwoofer to manage room modes.

SKBubba

What problem are you trying to solve?

This? "I feel that the median frequency is a bit insufficient." What does that mean?

Why do you have to unplug your sub? Have you run Audyssey? Do you know how playback modes work? Have you tried direct mode?

Anyway, maybe start with a bigger rug.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What problem are you trying to solve?

"I feel that the median frequency is a bit insufficient." What does that mean?
I came in here to ask the same question, what does that even mean. Agree with what other posters have said, not sure why you're wanting to get rid of the X6700, just upgrade-itis? It doesn't sound like the full potential of your existing gear has been reached.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if I configure a HIFI amp
...it is quite possible you will hear no improvement. Or you might...but we changed from Denon AVR-X3600H to Anthem AVM70 + ATI525NC and while things sound a bit different (probably ARC vs. Audyssey) it's not clearly better.
- Your Forte are quite above average in sensitivity even though Klipsch exaggerates. Even though AVRs are never the most robust amps, your -6700 can still play those pretty damn loud. Note that to have truly more power an outboard amp needs like 300+ watts at FOUR ohms (because even "8 ohm" speakers are more like 4 these days, and speakers are not resistors anyway).
- So if you DO get a "HiFi" amp be sure it is returnable (and I'll recommend the ATI, we really like the hybrid of Class D effiicient output with beefy old school power supply + it runs dead cold, not even warm).
- It doesn't sound like you have tried the room correction. Get thee the Audyssey amp and TRY IT. I was pretty shocked the first time I did; a bass sweep tone became audibly smoother by a LOT. The App also lets you turn off Audyssey's silly midrange dip, and if your "median frequency" (=midrange???) is not adequate, the App lets you adjust the response curve (ideally in small increments). Also sometimes cleaning up low frequencies can actually make the mids sound better.
- I cannot find an actual measurement of the Forte IV response and impedance. However as a loudspeaker engineer (who actually once hired Klipsch's now-Chief Engineer Roy Delgado to develop a horn) I can tell you horns while cool are quite tricky. If there is something you don't like in the middle frequencies, it is not likely to be the amp. It is far more likely to be the speaker itself, and interaction with the room. This suggests experimenting with positioning and toe-in and yes room treatment as @alex-z suggests.

Top Bottom