• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from Beyer DT990 Pro 250 ohm

Plesuvius

Hi there

For over 2 years now I have been happy with my DT990s. I have not been bothered by the clear highs as others have and run them through the headphone amp of an M-DAC with PSU.

I don't want to change my headphone amp if I can help it. What would be a good value upgrade to my DT990s? I don't have a budget but I don't want to spend more than I need to get the best sound. I think open back suits me more than closed back but it's not a strict requirement.

Thanks for the help and I feel this is a good forum to ask these questions as hype and pseudoscience is frowned on here (finally).

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most people upgrade when they want to address a specific problem or shortcoming of their existing system. So what problems with your current DT990 are you trying to solve?

OP
P

Plesuvius

Well therein lies the issue. I am very happy with the DT990 250ohms. I am just curious what a group of people who I trust would say is the natural best upgrade path...

I have heard some very impressive reviews of top end headphones and I would like to see how much I can improve in the relatively inexpensive world of headphones. I have always felt that when my speakers are able to approximate the quality of sound of my headphones I'm on to a good thing.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a long time user of Beyers (DT990 + DT880), besides them I have HD6xx, but somehow I like them a bit less.
I also plan to test some higher models, planars etc., however I suppose with many higher models you quickly rise toward point of diminishing return..

Some more "fanatic" HP members will probably give some tips..

zepplock

Also, if you still listen it "stock", try "upgrading" it with EQ profile like I did and spare some money :) You can use those available or wait for the one by Amir, I suppose we will have a review of these in upcoming months..

this, I have 990pro 600ohm and EQ makes those go from great to amazing.

brachypelma44

Absolutely EQ it if you haven't already. You may be happy with how they sound and decide to stick with them.

If you try that and you're still looking for something different, it might be worth trying a planar HP as another poster suggested. I recently got my first pair (Hifiman Sundara, which are $350 on Amazon) and I love the way they sound after EQ. I also have the HD 6XX, which sounds good after a lot of EQ, and the Fidelio X2 as well, but I still like the sound of the Sundara better than both.

OP
P

Plesuvius

Can I get some tips for how to EQ? I use Tidal desktop client and Fidelizer mostly, but I am open to installing other software or changing my music sub if need be.
Appreciate all the replies so far.

OP
P

Plesuvius

Many thanks. I will try this first (the EQ options).

Other views still welcome

(edit: the above)

Last edited:
Top Bottom