• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from Audio-Technica ATH-M40X for mixing? $200 budget

OP
M

mushjoon

I've used the NS-10 extensively. They are punchy and mid'rangy I find. What do you suggest for more money like the $200 budget might allow? I'm a Sennheiser Dood and PEQ like crazy so not sure if what I like is what he needs.
I wish I could purchase even a used pair of NS-10s but my room is not treated properly for monitors at the moment nor do I have a budget to afford speakers, amps, bass traps etc....

adama99

I have also considered buying Beyer DT880 600 ohm but since I'm using a Behringer UMC404HD audio interface for my ATH-M40X, I'm worried that my interface might not have enough voltage output to drive DT880 properly.

The 250-ohm version of the DT 880 would be easier to drive. I've used them plugged directly into a phone, and while I couldn't drive them to near maximum volume they would get loud enough to hear clearly.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish I could purchase even a used pair of NS-10s but my room is not treated properly for monitors at the moment nor do I have a budget to afford speakers, amps, bass traps etc....
If you want room treatment on a budget get old used office cubicle divider panels. They dampen a room considerably and take out the echo hollow quality of a room. They come in different sizes. I used the 6 foot (~2m) x 2 feet x (~60cm) x 3" (~8cm) and I was very pleased with the result. They come in different colors and gray. Mine where a bit dusty and had a couple of dirty spots but I cleaned them up and used them behind my head on a wall. The imaging improved and the ring was taken out of the room. I got mine at a auction. New they are expensive. I see used ones for sale cheap in online sales websites like Kijiji.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@mushjoon I didn't meant that you actually buy old Yamaha NS10 but a modernised copy of it Avaton CLA-10 and now they have it and in active version CLA-10 Pro but I don't know how good is the amp in those (probably worser than AB one's Yamaha puts in their).
I hope you are wrong about Aurvana Air regarding selling on Amazon used to buy mine there and on second pair right now.
Overlay sound picture is similar but not the same between NS10 and Aurvana Air.
Used to do a lot of garage gigs and demo recordings when I whose younger. Still it will be a lot of hard work for you.
AKG K371 is what it is and it won't last you for long time (earbuds will at least 3 years).

Top Bottom