• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade Cambridge CXA81 vs Moon Simaudio Ace

andyro

First post but have been reading various threads great info here. Could use some guidance.

I have an option to buy privately a Simaudio Ace all in one, used store demo (same cost as a CXA81 new), would like to listen to it with my setup of course to know for sure awaiting confirmation if I can. There's no real need per say only that I was debating a Simaudio product before buying the current system that was out of budget. My current setup is as follows:

-Cambridge Audio CXA81
-Elac Carina Floorstanding speakers FS 247.4
-Elac 3010 Sub
-Bluesound Node (N130) for streaming
-Topping DX3Pro+ (for desktop use on the advice of this forum for Sennheiser HD650s) working well.

I heard a simaudio product I forget which now with totems and it sounded great. I was looking at the 340 ix but was much more expensive than the CXA81 thought i'd start slow.

Not sure if this will be an upgrade or not or will sound better without trying it, thought I'd ask as I couldn't find a lot of info on a comparison. Also, the Ace only has 50w if that will still drive the floorstanding speakers well and used I likely give up on the warranty?

Any feedback/advice is much appreciated. Thank you kindly.

gsp1971

Forum Donor

check the lab sections - only 50W @ 8Ω for the Moon Ace

Regards
gsp

OP
A

andyro

check the lab sections - only 50W @ 8Ω for the Moon Ace

Regards
gsp
Would you ignore it as an option given the 50W @ 8Ω for the speakers listed above, not enough power? Cambridge is listed at 80W but seems to be testing higher. Cheers

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Looks like the streamer and the DAC in the moon are outdated and the amp section is not really powerful enough for demanding loudspeakers.

I got the Cambridge cxa 81 and I use the cxn V2 as DAC/streamer but I connected a laptop to the Cxa81 before and it sounds pretty good to be honest.

I would get the Cambridge setup again if I would start all over.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

The Simaudio Moon Ace has similar performance as this one:

OP
A

andyro

Would it be better to look at perhaps the simaudio 340i x with dac?

Overseas

Major Contributor
If you like the sound of Ace, try Rotel A11 Tribute, it may suit you well at much less costs.

Top Bottom