• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upcoming Tom Danley Hifi speakers

SDC

22 inch syn horn with ports down to 45hz? Quite small, wonder how they measure off-axis.

JEarle

Forum Donor
Everyone knows you can do an entire stadium with an Danley.

Sarcasm :):);)

Seriously, I’m sure it’ll sound great.

Wombat

Master Contributor
That's one I would love to hear. A 22.5" wide, ~55" tall, ~28" deep set of towers isn't something I'm personally ever likely to purchase regardless of price or quality, but I'd still love to hear 'em.

I do think built-in amps is unfortunate, though. Perhaps they pop out and can be remote amps, as Neumann does with their big speakers. If so, that's the best of both worlds.

A bit smaller than my speakers. I would swap them in an instant, except for the $$$$$s. ;)

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure how beautiful you can make a unity horn :)

PSE-144-red-angle.png

Not too bad

Juhazi

Major Contributor
"Hyperrealistic" is just what I'm afraid of! I've heard only very big diy-synergys and the sound was like having headphones on - extreme imaging and attacking transients. Not for me thank you, but I believe that most people will like them at least at demos.

Hifisound

Coverage pattern looks to be 90 degrees. Looks like a flared exit though, which is new for Danley as far as I know.

I checked with them, via email, and the coverage pattern is 60 x 60.
I wonder if 60 would be too narrow for home setting, making it headphone like as @Juhazi mentioned above

Wombat

Master Contributor
"Hyperrealistic" is just what I'm afraid of! I've heard only very big diy-synergys and the sound was like having headphones on - extreme imaging and attacking transients. Not for me thank you, but I believe that most people will like them at least at demos.

The horn does not exaggerate transients. It gets closer to the live recorded signal. One of the reasons I like them. :)

I do get the impression that @Juhazi is fairly typical in his view on horns. o_O

Last edited:

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Any idea on the price? These seem like an interesting option for something end game to save up for, but if they’re anything above 30 grand just forget about it...

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Any idea on the price? These seem like an interesting option for something end game to save up for, but if they’re anything above 30 grand just forget about it...

Looking at Danley's professional price list, I'd be very surprised if this comes in below $12k a piece. There's the 5 drivers, the complex and probably 'domestic' finished cabinet, the amplification.. and they need to make money of course.
A self-powered SM60F (in Europe) comes in at €6.5k without sales tax.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at Danley's professional price list, I'd be very surprised if this comes in below $12k a piece. There's the 5 drivers, the complex and probably 'domestic' finished cabinet, the amplification.. and they need to make money of course.
A self-powered SM60F (in Europe) comes in at €6.5k without sales tax.

Good catch on 5 drivers. Seems like the midrange driver is a normal cone coaxial. That's a bit of a disappointment because of the modulation with excursion issue. Unless they crossed it high enough that excursion is negligible.

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Good catch on 5 drivers. Seems like the midrange driver is a normal cone coaxial. That's a bit of a disappointment because of the modulation with excursion issue. Unless they crossed it high enough that excursion is negligible.

Well I was a bit surprised by the stated crossover points..

Crossover Frequency | 2kHz / 260Hz / 45Hz

But who am I to argue against Tom Danley :) We should get him on ASR.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
The horn does not exaggerate transients. It gets closer to the live recorded signal. One of the reasons I like them. :)

I do get the impression that @Juhazi is fairly typical in his view on horns. o_O

My view is based on experience, I've heard many commercial and diy waveguides, horns and synergys at friend's and shows.
And I do have preference for wide directivity and good dipoles in stereo! High directivity is best suited for HT multichannel and naturally PA.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I was a bit surprised by the stated crossover points..

Crossover Frequency | 2kHz / 260Hz / 45Hz

But who am I to argue against Tom Danley :) We should get him on ASR.

I was very surprised. Thought one of the fancy new large-format concentric compression drivers by BMS or something would have made more sense than a come. But I expect Tom and co to have considered everything

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if 60 would be too narrow for home setting, making it headphone like as @Juhazi mentioned above

The SH50 I heard is a 50 x 50 pattern. I both agree and disagree with @Juhazi in the headphone comparison. I agree because it does mean you're hearing far more of the direct sound, similar to headphones. I disagree because to me headphones have terrible imaging, whereas the SH50 is the best imaging speaker I've ever heard. That "holy s@$t the singer is right there in front of me" effect has never been as good with any other speaker.

Where they lack(and I'm guessing this speaker will be similar) is in perceived spaciousness. I'm guessing it will be much like an improved version of my JTR 212RT, with much better extension. The 212 is also a 60 x 60 pattern.

Lbstyling

Forum Donor

I, like B and O find narrow coverage better, 60 deg being about right for me so no concerns here, though I appreciate research shows I'm in the minority!

Post his experiences with the D+D 8C, I wonder what Erin feels about narrower patterns now...? (Not that the 8c is that narrow of course.)

My experience of narrow CD is amazing depth in live recordings while making highly processed electronica sound about a foot from your face. What I REALLY think has to be experienced, is watching a thriller on big narrow horns. Alien is one hell of a roller coaster.

Last edited:

Hifisound

My experience of narrow CD is amazing depth in live recordings while making highly processed electronica sound about a foot from your face. What I REALLY think has to be experienced, is watching a thriller on big narrow horns. Alien is one hell of a roller coaster.

Interesting!
Though as a first home model, I thought they would go with their 90 x 60 horn as even their cinema line (https://danleycinema.com/) has mostly 90 x 60 horns (esp the small room which is close to home )

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do think built-in amps is unfortunate, though.
Why is that?

As for the woofers, it doesn't seem they have rotary motors :( Opposed rotary motor woofers would be really cool. Actually the truly rotary sub would be really cool with this.

Top Bottom