• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Up/Down Sampling before sending to DAC.

Hemicrusher

I am using JRiver as my media player and am experiencing pops/clicks when changing songs with different sample rates. I was told to set a single rate in JRiver and send everything to the DAC. The DAC does 24/192, so should I set all files to upsample to 24/192 and is there any issues with doing that. My music is all over the place. 16/44 to 24/192.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I am using JRiver as my media player and am experiencing pops/clicks when changing songs with different sample rates. I was told to set a single rate in JRiver and send everything to the DAC. The DAC does 24/192, so should I set all files to upsample to 24/192 and is there any issues with doing that. My music is all over the place. 16/44 to 24/192.

Do you hear the pops/clicks when you use other player as well?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Try installing an ASIO driver if you haven't already and use USB instead of SPDIF.

OP
H

Hemicrusher

Try installing an ASIO driver if you haven't already and use USB instead of SPDIF.

Tried ASIO and am using USB. It's the only device on that USB port. Popping/Clicking happens in ASIO and WASAPI.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Tried ASIO and am using USB. It's the only device on that USB port. Popping/Clicking happens in ASIO and WASAPI.
If you are going to resample, you may as well go as high as the DAC will go for the effort, or you could try everything @ 96k and just see which sounds better. If the pops are minimal, they ought to be tolerable. If they are loud, that's a problem.

I noticed the problem resolved with Music Bee, you could also try Foobar2000. I have noticed JRiver is somewhat more finicky with my Audioengine D1, requiring that I use ASIO4All even though the D1 is plug and play on Win. If you have to ditch JRiver to solve the problem try using VLC (Videolan) for video playback. You could also try Kodi if you want a single program for music and video. All software I mentioned is free.

What kind of DAC are you using?

OP
H

Hemicrusher

If you are going to resample, you may as well go as high as the DAC will go for the effort, or you could try everything @ 96k and just see which sounds better. If the pops are minimal, they ought to be tolerable. If they are loud, that's a problem.

I noticed the problem resolved with Music Bee, you could also try Foobar2000. I have noticed JRiver is somewhat more finicky with my Audioengine D1, requiring that I use ASIO4All even though the D1 is plug and play on Win. If you have to ditch JRiver to solve the problem try using VLC (Videolan) for video playback. You could also try Kodi if you want a single program for music and video. All software I mentioned is free.

What kind of DAC are you using?

Thanks!

MusicBee and Foobar2000 never had the issue, just JRiver. But the issue is not enough to ditch JRiver as the pops are annoying, but not terribly loud....on the lines of a slight record pop.

ASIO4ALL is just a wrapper correct? Are there any negatives to running it?

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Just FYI, I use JRiver exclusively into an Exasound-supplied ASIO driver and DAC. I have never experienced the issue you describe between different sample rates or DSD/PCM.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
ASIO4ALL is just a wrapper correct? Are there any negatives to running it?

I don't know of any issues, but it doesn't work all the time with everything. Some of these problems may be limited to the recent versions of Win 10 or with computers having only USB 3 ports.

Just FYI, I use JRiver exclusively into an Exasound-supplied ASIO driver and DAC. I have never experienced the issue you describe between different sample rates or DSD/PCM.

I haven't had any problems with two different Exasound equipped DAC's on JRiver, but my Audioengine D1 doesn't work without ASIO4All.

OP
H

Hemicrusher

I don't know of any issues, but it doesn't work all the time with everything. Some of these problems may be limited to the recent versions of Win 10 or with computers having only USB 3 ports.

ASIO4ALL works perfectly, no pops at all. Also, re-sampling to 192 also gets rid of the pops in both ASIO and WASAPI.

OP
H

Hemicrusher

OK....I solved this issue all around. On a suggestion in another forum, I set Windows system sounds to "None" and this issue went away...... Even in ASIO and WASAPI Exclusive, it seems JRiver gives control to Windows in the brief second between switching sample rates.

Edit: Well that lasted for a reboot and came back.....also, ASIO4ALL started doing it. Resampling to 192k is the only solution atm.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hemicrusher

In ASIO4ALL if you are getting glitching, go into the advance setting and increase the buffers to 4. I find the default (2?) to constantly cause glitches.

Thanks! I'll give it a try when I get back on the comp.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Until recently I used Pure Music to upsample all files to the maximum sample rate of the dac.
This was after trying lower levels of upsampling. All upsampling rates were preferred to native resolution.
Made a few changes to digital front end and find that no upsampling sounds better. Warmer overall.
Dac uses AKM chips and thought software upsampling might lighten the load on the chips. But for whatever reason it is better letting the chip perform the upsampling.
Several people had told me they had the same results. I thought they were being resistant to the benefits of playback software. Now I think I was wrong.

Jimmy

Software upsampling results are heavily dependant on the DAC used, normally older units benefit the most, for newer gear or DACs that already upsample internally it shouldn't provide any benefits, although it can slightly change the sound depending on the combinations, so it doesn't hurt to try.

Top Bottom