• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know if you react like me when you see their "dedicated listening room" for their top of the line esoteric or rather prototype gear ...
A large wall of windows behind the speakers :eek::facepalm:
6moons.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Oswald Mills Imperia

Imperia_Ash-3.jpg

Imperia_Ash-1.jpg

I kind of want.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oswald Mills Imperia

Imperia_Ash-3.jpg

Imperia_Ash-1.jpg

I kind of want.
If memory serves :) there is -- or was, at any rate -- a pretty chichi "making of" video for those on teh webz someplace.

This isn't it, but it kinda fits my description, methinks. ;)

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
If memory serves :) there is -- or was, at any rate -- a pretty chichi "making of" video for those on teh webz someplace.

This isn't it, but it kinda fits my description, methinks. ;)

I really want to see those things measured.

It was a Bloomberg video if I remember right. Nonsense spreading to the general public.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Aesthetically. I've never heard them but my life experience biases me..
Sir, you are a master of the elliptical.
And I do mean that as a compliment!
(and I am not poking fun at the presence of two periods at the end of the sentence, just to be clear -- and not too elliptical myself)

:)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
https://6moons.com/audioreviews/m+h/1.html

Oh my.

When I first stumbled onto the site I had a lot of trouble parsing the stuff on screen. No idea which product was being reviewed or what was an advertisement. Their formatting/typesetting is awkward, to say the least (from an editor's POV).

Agreed. It's a horror show for the eyes in terms of trying to focus and navigate.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Waveform Mach Solo.

(Smaller version of the Mach 17).

I had these in my home once and the fit and finish actually made them almost art. To my surprise my wife of all people said "Why don't you keep these! These look beautiful!"

Waveform mach solo speaker image.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Anyone remember the name of that big speaker from the 70-80s that kept a big tank of some type of gas attached to it and made sound by producing ozone or something like that? I've been having a complete aging hard drive failure on this for some time now? LOL

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone remember the name of that big speaker from the 70-80s that kept a big tank of some type of gas attached to it and made sound by producing ozone or something like that? I've been having a complete aging hard drive failure on this for some time now? LOL
Nelson Pass Ion Cloud

https://www.stereophile.com/interviews/1191pass/index.html

1597128243237.png

Not to be confused with the Dayton Wright Electrostats that were in a bag of sulfer hexafluoride gas (inert and safe) which allowed running higher voltages on the stators and with a different speed of sound made the width seem much larger so it has better reach in the low end. You kept your tank of sulfur hexafluoride attached to keep the bag topped up.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to be confused with the Dayton Wright Electrostats that were in a bag of sulfer hexafluoride gas (inert and safe) which allowed running higher voltages on the stators and with a different speed of sound made the width seem much larger so it has better reach in the low end. You kept your tank of sulfur hexafluoride attached to keep the bag topped up.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Hill Plasmatronics [EDIT] Type 1

Unlike most electrostatics (including Pass' prototype, which put him in the hospital via ozone intoxication) which used air as the medium to generate a plasma, the Hill used helium. Safer in a domestic setting. :)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/hill-plasmatronics-type-1-loudspeaker

614hillplasma.promo_.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom