• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I was surprised to learn that Earthworks, the same manufacturer which makes measurement microphones, apparently had a line of studio monitors based on the principle of time-aligned drivers.

I found them in the attached catalogue from 2006.

1585315380841.png

1585315427009.png

Attachments

• earthworks_catalog_2006.pdf
    897.5 KB · Views: 230

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
IIRC they had very good impulse/step (time) response and decent frequency response. Don't think they ever really caught on for all the usual reasons.

My vote for unusual goes to anything with a plasma tweeter, followed by Ohm F and the big MBL speakers, and all the "interesting" horn designs with separate horns all over the place.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I see your point -- that Heathkit is similar (and is what I immediately thought of when I saw this thread) -- but, yeah, it'd make a lousy kids' step stool!

;)

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I was shopping for my first full blown HT system, these speakers were getting some press because they had done well in a magazine's speaker shootout ...

http://norh.com/Norh_Loudspeakers/Marble_4.html

blackmarble2.jpg

Too be honest, I was pretty infatuated with these speakers and was seriously considering purchasing them for the HT room. Their shape, however, presented some placement challenges, so I didn't pull trigger. Good thing too. Here's the Soundstage measurements for the Norh 6.9 - an upscale version of the speaker pictured above ...

frequency_on1530.gif

Dodged a bullet I think.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Volya Audio...The large pair of the "Boquet" model in the bottom picture costs $134,000US and they weigh 230 pounds each

Flower Speakers3.jpg

Flower Speakers.jpg

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Really curious how the Tektons and their tweeter arrays end up measuring..
The claims for them are very positive.
Hard for me to imagine, though :(
So... yeah... I agree. It would indeed be interesting.
Probably not in @amirm's wheelhouse to measure one though, is it? :oops:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The web is bereft of photos of the Precedent MZ Mod 3. A pity- not only was it unusual looking in the extreme, it also anticipated a bunch of trends in speaker design. Separate modules for woofer, midrange, and tweeter, all alignable in space, transmission line midrange, anti-diffraction treatments- all in the mid 1970s.

Top Bottom