• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not necessarily a bad thing in the real world for loading a typical room.
High vertical directivity can really be a good thing in such a situation but above vertical directivity is just messy.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I built a fan with no moving parts that won the MS State Science Fair when I was in 7th grade. Still have a write-up in the local paper somewhere -- they butchered the technical description, natch. Later I thought of modulating it to create a speaker but never went there -- life took a turn about that time. The drawback was it was also an ozone generator...

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And that's the minimal implementation of a pseudo-coaxial MTM. The towers in post 15 use a single tweeter with wide spacing to the mid arrays, so they probably exhibit much more lobing. That said, Tekton might wire the towers differently, so they arrays aren't coaxial.

Regardless, I (having heard none of them...) prefer Dave Smith's Snell XA & the Horbach-Keele designs.

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
TD712zMK2_mimg.jpg

ECLIPSE

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bouquet, not "Boquete". Boquete is Spanish for hole.

LOL, Carlos. Corrected - and an opportunity to share another couple of anecdotes about life as an expatriate in Panama.

As you can see from my location (below my avatar), I live in Boquete, Panama, which is named for the "gap" (hole) in the mountain range (Cordillera de Talamanca) that is the "continental divide" here.

This post prompted me to write another expat in Panama story - but in the member forum [LINK] so I don't go too far off topic here.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My regrets to the late Siegfried Linkwitz, but the LX521 has to qualify here...

lx521.jpg

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/photos/L1000603-c.jpg

He fine-tuned the upper baffle empirically and he defended it as absolutely required. My (otherwise tolerant) wife was not alone in her objection to keep it out of our house :).

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However, she did allow Keele's CBT24s...

cbt24.jpg

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My regrets to the late Dr. Linkwitz, but the LX521 has to qualify here...

View attachment 56312

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/photos/L1000603-c.jpg

He fine-tuned the upper baffle empirically and he defended it as absolutely required. My (otherwise tolerant) wife was not alone in her objection to keep it out of our house :).
The Linkwitz Pluto
1585577296374.png

and LX Mini
1585577373140.png

S.L. knew a lot about speakers. I repsect his designs .. Haven't heard these but am tempted to build the LX Mii and perhaps the LX 521.4 ... very much...

Top Bottom