• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

technophreak

Attachments

• HR1.jpg
    HR1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 209

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well... Steve Deckert certainly has a high opinion of himself and of his skills.

:rolleyes:

I was an early adopter (there's still an SE-84B amp here, down in the basment someplace).
Truth be told, his stuff sounds pretty good, but he oversells it so vigorously that I tired of his shtick pretty quickly.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a bit ugly, but personally I love a nice simple page of text with a few links down the side.

The modern web is terrible.
If you are using a mobile device like 70% of the web users do then their website is simply unusable. If you can't read anything on a website what is there to like?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.decware.com/newsite/HR1.html

Always wanted to listen to Decware components. The design and marketing photos really make them stand out in my opinion, so they accomplished that.

Intriguing design.
It's a shout out to the Ohm Walsh omnis.

I wonder if the top mounted, inverted driver runs full range?

This violates my current impulse to simpler execution, with a lower "fiddle factor".

Lunafag

These use ultrasonic speakers so the sound travels in an extremely narrow beam. The sounds in audible range are produced through intermodulation - when the beam hits a person or an object.

Attachments

• _cVdkx2QNuD.jpg
    _cVdkx2QNuD.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 202

Tom Danley

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi
This was a pretty weird speaker from the olden days.
Some years ago (as in the early 90's) I worked for a NASA contractor that built acoustic levitation experiments and they let me build subwoofers on the side. I was asked to design the sound source for a sonic boom simulator for GTRI doing some NASA research on the "Space Plane" that they were contemplating.
They wanted 132dB from 5KHz down to 3Hz which was the fundamental F of the "sonic boom" AND this speaker had to be located outside of an old house (not inside) and 2 meters away from the wall. The idea was to study the impact on people inside and structures exposed to the very powerful sonic boom (in fact the space plane was dropped partly because of the huge building damaging boom). Anyway, this system a combination of conventional HF horns, Servodrive subwoofers and an air flow modulator i designed had the displacement of an 8 by 12 foot piston, moving 18 inches peak to peak and could reproduce the "N" shaped sonic boom wave form. The picture i found on line from back then shows me with one of the six VLF sections (3 to 30Hz) back at Intersonics.

https://koscsof1.com/2009/07/24/132-db-3-hz-en-2-meterrol-danley-mi-mas/

https://www.facebook.com/PAotD/post...r-pics-send-them-to-paofth/10153008712821283/

Ironically, where i live now is a place i can test loud things without complaints. It's near a quarry that blasts every other week or so and pretty often I think about the simulator and what it was like to stand between it and the house, pressing the button that makes the "KA-boom"
Best
Tom Danley

If you have facebook, there is a post here on our user's group's page that talks about a speaker we made used to research elephant communications,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1305077852863150/

Last edited:

pvanosta

Who made this?
Designer / creator is Ivan Schellekens. The company is/was Floating Systems. The model is Synthese 1. There are also Synthese 2 and 3 (each one smaller than the previous one. The woofer is at the top. The main body acts as a transmission line. The mid section is completely decoupled and can swivel (to adjust soundstaging etc). They also come with a set of 4 different 'acoustic card', which are plug & play filters pre-configured for different room types...

goldenears

If you are using a mobile device like 70% of the web users do then their website is simply unusable. If you can't read anything on a website what is there to like?

I can read it on my phone OK. I have a large phone though.

Sure, it doesn't auto-flow the text but I wouldn't call it "simply unusable". It's just like reading a pdf on the phone.

Lots of modern sites with their fancy features and pop-up menus and hidden features that barely work, I would call simply unusable.

Last edited:

pvanosta

SQ has been consistently excellent. I have owned the larger ones (Synthese 1, pictured above in this thread) and I have listened extensively to the smaller model (Synthese 2, pictured in this post). Over the years, I have owned ESS AMT1, Martin Logan Quest, Martin Logan Ascent, Thiel CS 3.4, Thiel CS7, Marten Django XL, to name a few. The Synthese definitely belonged in that company. The smaller Synthese 2, pictured here, had a new price of 7000 Euro / $8000+.

Attachments

• set.jpg
    set.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 317
Top Bottom