• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
aaMoeller_Plasma.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no idea - but based on the many many attempts to lighten tweeter drivers for the last several decades - I'd say they are "fast"

Dunno if there are still any designs being sold these days.

I've never heard them but would like to - I use Maggies 'cuz they are cheap and fast.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I hope this ad is like 20 years old, 'cause that's a pretty poor 'shop.

I don't know why the "Tekton-style" driver arrangement is viewed as odd, it's pretty much a natural thing to arrive at if you know anything about physics. For a point source you'd end up with something that's ideally concentric. I tried similar concepts with a bunch of midwoofers (or widebanders) dotted around a tweeter in Boxsim for a tentative DIY project codenamed "Il Monstro"; I could never make spacing small enough for dispersion to look really good. Oh well.

Behold the trusty Grundig Monoliths (late '70s, early '80s). Grundig had actually been making active speakers since some time in the early '70s I think. Some of their stuff was pretty good. Possibly still underrated. A Monolith is clearly not something for everyone, I imagine they work best at sizeable distances as the vertical directivity keeps ceiling and floor reflections at bay.
Grundig_Monolith_50-80-120-190-Prospekt-1.jpg

B5234t

We had these in the shop a few years back. Cabinets are pretty standard for the era but the drivers are unusual.

EMI 901 (studio monitors)
19 x 14"
4 co-axial tweeters
15Hz to 18kHz +-??dB

EMI 901 (1).jpg

EMI 901 (2).jpg

They were sold before I had a chance to measure them.

Last edited:

Koloth

I wanna play too:

Precide Kithara with a Heil AMT (roughly 6000 USD/pair).
Looks like shit, no idea how they measure, but they have some actual engineering going on and a true form-follows-function approach.
Heil-AMT-speakers-hifihunt.com_.jpg

I always fancied the Syrinx (roughly 4'000 USD/pair), which was a step below the Kithara but doesnt seem to be available anymore:
8e658a50.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Hmm, I guess the adult "girl" is just to show the size of the loudspeaker. But why don't they tell her strategic dimensions then?
Good point -- a reference standard is needed. :rolleyes:

Those monster Legacy loudspeakers were all the rage in some circles at some point, as I recall. They certainly look -- like overkill.
And I am a person with a pretty high tolerance for overkill in loudspeakers. ;)

Top Bottom