• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual power issue with Schiit Heresy.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So I plugged in something to the same power strip that the Heresy and D50s were plugged into, later on I go to use my headphones and I noticed they had a loud buzzing sound going through them, I felt the amp and it was HOT, I felt the DAC and it was also HOT, even the headphones were warm. I unplugged everything immediately, but the amp no longer powers on. I contacted Schiit, who offered to sell me a new power supply. I tried another power supply I had laying around, the amp powered on but nothing from the output, the DAC survived somehow.

Has anyone seen this happen before?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For headphones to become 'hot' they would have to dissipate quite a lot of Watts for a longer time period.
Most headphones will burn out before they even heat up 1 degree. Maybe some planars can get warmer before giving up.
It could also be the headphones were lying on something that got hot.

The loud buzzing sound is worrying.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Both the amp and the headphones are dead. I have found no explanation for what occurred, but this is a major blow to me.

threni

Major Contributor
Both the amp and the headphones are dead. I have found no explanation for what occurred, but this is a major blow to me.

"So I plugged in something to the same power strip"

Does this mystery box have trouble distinguishing live from earth?

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
"So I plugged in something to the same power strip"

Does this mystery box have trouble distinguishing live from earth?

Yeah maybe I should throw it out at this point, cannot risk more equipment.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was everything in one big stack?

If so I would guess that the amp failed, taking out the headphones, and that the DAC was just soaking up heat from the failed amp.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yeah maybe I should throw it out at this point, cannot risk more equipment.

Contact Schiit. They publicly stated on ASR that this rarely happens and that when this happens (headphone blown up by the amp when it is in failure) they have reimbursed some headphones in the past ( I assume when the amp indeed failed in a way it destroys headphones).

So ... contact Schiit.
Send them your broken Heresy and headphone.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Thanks guys, yeah the DAC was on top of the amp, so I am thinking it just warmed up from the residual heat.

Schiit did reach out asking me to complete an RMA form for the Heresy, I am going to throw the headphones in the box like Solderdude recommended, crossing my fingers.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
I found something today, makes me wonder if its possible I plugged in the Amp incorrectly in the power strip.

Is this a design flaw? look how close the terminals are.

IMG_0956.jpeg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I found something today, makes me wonder if its possible I plugged in the Amp incorrectly in the power strip.

Is this a design flaw? look how close the terminals are.

View attachment 112014

Even if you did manage to do that it would ave worked like any other not grounded wall socket. The pins in such an outlet are all alternately L and N so that can not possibly end up in a disaster as one cannot incorrectly insert a 3 prong plug (which needs grounding) but is no problem for 2 prong plugs.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Even if you did manage to do that it would ave worked like any other not grounded wall socket. The pins in such an outlet are all alternately L and N so that can not possibly end up in a disaster as one cannot incorrectly insert a 3 prong plug (which needs grounding) but is no problem for 2 prong plugs.

I work in IT but am not very knowledgeable on Electrical gear or circuitry, good info thanks! I was starting to feel bad as if I had prematurely accused the Schiit Heresy of failure, but maybe it did just catastrophically fail... still not heard from Schiit yet other than they have my stuff (And Sundara)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You could try to PM @T.M.Noble ?
He seemed like a very helpful guy.
Maybe he could be of assistance ?

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
You could try to PM @T.M.Noble ?
He seemed like a very helpful guy.
Maybe he could be of assistance ?

I sent him a message thanks!

Solderdude, in your opinion should I order another Sundara or save up for Ananda?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Pluging 'wrong' in the power strip shouldn't cause any damage as it's AC after all.
I would say Ananda is worth it. Look out for cheaper price though because it's pretty much dirt cheap in China now.

raif71

Major Contributor
Pluging 'wrong' in the power strip shouldn't cause any damage as it's AC after all.
I would say Ananda is worth it. Look out for cheaper price though because it's pretty much dirt cheap in China now.
Ananda eh...been hearing quite a bit about it recently especially from my friend who got it , sold it and now considering getting it again for the 2nd time.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Ananda eh...been hearing quite a bit about it recently especially from my friend who got it , sold it and now considering getting it again for the 2nd time.

I am a metal head in the car (Korn, Rammstein, Static-X), but listen to almost everything at my desk (Classic Rock, Pop, Electroswing, Classical, Jazz, Blues, Rap, Alternative Rock, Dance and Techno) so need an allrounder. I like the fast sound of the HiFiMan Sundara, and the energy it has. The HE4XX are nice but have this boxy sound that I am not real fond of, even after EQ. My only concern is the Ananda will lack the energy of the Sundara, I have done some research and it is suggested that "punch and slam" are lesser in the Ananda while soundstage and resolution is better.

Top Bottom