• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Unsquash" dome tweeter at home?

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a 1-inch woven-kevlar dome tweeter that was somehow depressed during a move.

It appears undamaged other than the depressed center, so I'm going to Home Depot to find some kind of suction cup to try a home repair.

I'm happy to improvise on the fly, I guess. However, I also thought someone else might have ideas on the right way to do this....

For example: the weave pattern on the dome seems like it will prevent air-tight attachment by a suction cup. If so, should I put a thin layer of, say, vaseline on the cup to enable a tight seal? Or will the petroleum products in the vaseline somehow react with the Kevlar, or simply be impossible to clean away afterwards?

You get the idea ... this must have happened to someone else out there.....

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I have a 1-inch woven-kevlar dome tweeter that was somehow depressed during a move.

It appears undamaged other than the depressed center, so I'm going to Home Depot to find some kind of suction cup to try a home repair.

I'm happy to improvise on the fly, I guess. However, I also thought someone else might have ideas on the right way to do this....

For example: the weave pattern on the dome seems like it will prevent air-tight attachment by a suction cup. If so, should I put a thin layer of, say, vaseline on the cup to enable a tight seal? Or will the petroleum products in the vaseline somehow react with the Kevlar, or simply be impossible to clean away afterwards?

Suck it.

I'm serious. Assuming the tweeter has a flat faceplate, put your mouth around the tweeter and press your lips firmly against the faceplate to get an airtight seal and suck like you mean it.

Just don't let anyone catch you... it's embarrassing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard of people using a vacuum cleaner to get suction.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Heat it up with a hair dryer before you suck it. That will soften the dome a little and allow it to more easily 'pop' back out.

With some tweeters, it's better to remove the tweeter, dismantle and use a ball/marble/screwdriver handle etc to work the dome back from the rear.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The kiss of life. A classic.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm serious. Assuming the tweeter has a flat faceplate, put your mouth around the tweeter and press your lips firmly against the faceplate to get an airtight seal and suck like you mean it.
I used a cardboard paper towel center tube and suction to remove small dent a few years back. Was afraid to try the vacuum cleaner.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I used strips of surgical tape. It took 3 angles with the tape but it pulled it out round.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Heat it up with a hair dryer before you suck it. That will soften the dome a little and allow it to more easily 'pop' back out.

With some tweeters, it's better to remove the tweeter, dismantle and use a ball/marble/screwdriver handle etc to work the dome back from the rear.
So your advice is to heat it up and get it hot and then suck. ;)

thecheapseats

a suction bulb removed from a meat baster/turkey baster cooking utensil worked for me several years ago - it gives precision control of the vacuum - almost impossible to over do it... no fuss no mess no spit no heat necessary...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

HoweSound

I am rebuilding my home-built three-way speakers with new drivers and crossovers (dome tweet, dome mid and 8" woofer). I bumped the mid and put a dent in the fabric. It was easy to remove the face plate, lift the dome and voice coil out of the magnet assembly and press out the dimple from the inside. it went back together easily, works fine and and seems unscathed. You should be able to remove the tweeter from the cabinet and do the same repair if the dent vacuum approach fails. Most dome drivers have replaceable dome/voice coil assemblies if the dome is damaged.

valerianf

I used a double side adhesiv that I pulled gently after placing it on the stamped area.
It was for a woofer durst cap that looked like a dome tweeter.

Andysu

Major Contributor
put lips on it and suck on it till it pops and comes back into shape

OP
JanesJr1

JanesJr1

Suck it.

Just don't let anyone catch you... it's embarrassing.
Given that i don't know if this will work, in principle, I love it! I'll let you know shortly...

OP
JanesJr1

JanesJr1

I use 2 sewing needles and gently pull it back out.
I wondered about that, but Murphy's law .... Last resort.

I hate to say it, but with this nearfield monitor, it just doesn't sound all that different with the dome tweeter depressed....

OP
JanesJr1

JanesJr1

You could try some sticky/sellotape... sometimes works.

JSmith
Tried it. The dome seems to be stiff enough to defeat the stickum...

Top Bottom