• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Unsquash" dome tweeter at home?

OP
JanesJr1

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
put lips on it and suck on it till it pops and comes back into shape
I don't like the mental image, but will try it. It makes sense.

OP
JanesJr1

JanesJr1

I used a double side adhesiv that I pulled gently after placing it on the stamped area.
It was for a woofer durst cap that looked like a dome tweeter.
I saw this one working with a metal dome on You Tube. Unfortunately, this soft-dome tweeter with woven kevlar won't stick well enough to flatten out.

OP
JanesJr1

JanesJr1

I am rebuilding my home-built three-way speakers with new drivers and crossovers (dome tweet, dome mid and 8" woofer). I bumped the mid and put a dent in the fabric. It was easy to remove the face plate, lift the dome and voice coil out of the magnet assembly and press out the dimple from the inside. it went back together easily, works fine and and seems unscathed. You should be able to remove the tweeter from the cabinet and do the same repair if the dent vacuum approach fails. Most dome drivers have replaceable dome/voice coil assemblies if the dome is damaged.
I figured something like this would be a final recourse. I'm comfortable inside computers and the like, but have no experience with audio, so it may be easy but I'm avoiding it if I can....

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried it. The dome seems to be stiff enough to defeat the stickum...
Okay if its that stiff >>>>> Vacuum Cleaner use the the little ring in the handle that dials up the suction and start low.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I don't like the mental image, but will try it. It makes sense.
do a video show how you managed it
they are glued down or depending on what type of tweeter ?
diaphragm replacements are not expensive to repair

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried it. The dome seems to be stiff enough to defeat the stickum...
That’s why surgical tape or gorilla tape does work.

OP
JanesJr1

JanesJr1

SQUASHED DOME: WHAT WORKED

Surgical tape: Nope
Packing tape: Nope
Sucking through a toilet-paper tube: (You laugh, but there's a YouTube on it.) But Nope.
Sucking Momma's-Nipple stye: Nope, and I tried this over and over, hard, since I thought it should work. (And yes, Duke, my spouse looked through the space between the room's door and the door-jamb and spotted me doing it.............*)
Duct tape: Nope, but I was eventually able to get 1/3 to 1/2 of the dome out... never the whole dome.
Duct tape PLUS sucking Momma's-Nipple-style: YES, the combo worked.

Before that, I was expecting to move on to the hair-dryer soften-up method, and hoped that would loosen up the stiff Kevlar without a scorch or a melting-movie-film-like outcome. Well, I would've liked to try it.

THANK YOU to all of you who gave great answers!

* And did that naturally lead to some kind of, um, audio-repair role-play?? I'd like to say so, but another Nope.

Last edited:
OP
JanesJr1

JanesJr1

WTF is that MN-style, on the other hand do I really want to know? :facepalm::D
Duke and a couple of others recommended putting your mouth directly outside the tweeter to create a seal and then sucking hard (while avoiding an audience).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Duke and a couple of others recommended putting your mouth directly outside the tweeter to create a seal and then sucking hard (while avoiding an audience).
I know, but you gave it that name :p
And how did you combine that with duct tape at the same time?

OP
JanesJr1

JanesJr1

I know, but you gave it that name :p
And how did you combine that with duct tape at the same time?
Not at the same time: tape then sucking. The depressed dome was kind of like an "inverted dome" that had some arched-stiffness in the downward direction .... so that sucking alone couldn't overcome it. However, when I got part of the depressed section back up using the duct tape, the rest of it the dome was apparently less-stiff, and the sucking then worked.

Or something like that.

Top Bottom