• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unreliable frequency response from Mac Mini - or something in my system.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For a few years now I've been noticing some occasional playback glitches that result in obvious and serious distortion. Fixing it usually involves restarting one or more components. This got me wondering if more subtle playback errors may be creeping in sometimes and tonight I caught one red handed messing with my mind. I've been plagued with a sense of a lack of midrange brightness, a sort or recessed sound that took some life and magic out of vocals. I thought perhaps I was imagining it. But last night it was sounding good and I measured it. Tonight I felt it was missing something so I took a measurement. The frequency response was different. So I restarted everything in the digital chain and re-measured. It was back to normal and sounding good again.

This stuff is driving me nuts!

If you look at the image below, the green curve is the bad one. It's got a broad band recess centered around 2000 Hz, or maybe it's a hump around 7000 Hz. However you want to interpret it, it's wrong! The curves below are multiple measurements after I re-started everything. Looking good! Sounding good! I moved stuff around in the room between measurements to rule out any possible room effects, including moving acoustic panels in and out. They didn't change the response significantly. It's the electronics.

I guess I should be releived to know that what I'm hearing is measurable. I'm not crazy. It's really happening. I think changing sources can cause it to change sometimes so that leads me to conclusions like one streamer sounding better than another when really it's just the fact that I changed sources that caused the system to stop working or start working correctly.
system instability.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
do direct electronic REW sweep of the amplifier

OP
T

Tim Link

Forum Donor
do direct electronic REW sweep of the amplifier
I'll have to learn how to do that. One thing I didn't restart was the amplifier. I'm pretty sure it's blameless. What might I learn from directly measuring the amplifier output?

Andysu

Major Contributor
I'll have to learn how to do that. One thing I didn't restart was the amplifier. I'm pretty sure it's blameless. What might I learn from directly measuring the amplifier output?
get this , cheapest i can find easy to connect amplifier wires to the processor avr rca to processor inputs and amp return and use test output connected to pc then can do REW sweeps
i use the THX 3417 version myself

OP
T

Tim Link

Forum Donor
get this , cheapest i can find easy to connect amplifier wires to the processor avr rca to processor inputs and amp return and use test output connected to pc then can do REW sweeps
i use the THX 3417 version myself

Thanks! I'll have to read up on how that works. USB into the computer? Why do this instead of measuring the speakers? I guess it could eliminate the possiblity that the speakers are unstable? That seems unlikely but it could be a bad connection somewhere I suppose. It doesn't seem that restarting a digital device with the amp still on (muted) would cause the speaker to change any.

Top Bottom