• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Universal remotes - Harmony alternatives?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have used Harmony remotes since they had monochrome LCDs and a wheel. We currently have two, for different systems. However, my discontent with the company has been growing. It started when I discovered they did not decouple their security products from their CE products - accessing Harmony online is the same password Then I picked up a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse for use with our media computer, and astoundingly there's no synergy or connectivity with Harmony. The last straw is their abandonment of their MacOS desktop app. A recent article states that Harmony is no priority for parent company Logitech, and their CEO straight up says, "How long it will be out there, I don’t know.”

So, is there an alternative that is:
  1. as intuitive to use (activities to turn on everything and set the right inputs with 1 button press)
  2. easily user-programmable (no need for a CI dealer or expensive separate program - this excludes Creston, Control4, etc.)
  3. reasonably priced
  4. endowed with comprehensive component library and reasonable expectations that it will be updated for new gear
  5. not infected with internet-connected microphones (no Amazon or Google devices wanted)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You could try looking up one of those last generation LG phones that had an IR blaster and use programmable apps to double as multi-function remotes.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could try looking up one of those last generation LG phones that had an IR blaster and use programmable apps to double as multi-function remotes.

Misses on criteria 1, 2, 5, and possibly 4.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have used Harmony remotes since they had monochrome LCDs and a wheel. We currently have two, for different systems. However, my discontent with the company has been growing. It started when I discovered they did not decouple their security products from their CE products - accessing Harmony online is the same password Then I picked up a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse for use with our media computer, and astoundingly there's no synergy or connectivity with Harmony. The last straw is their abandonment of their MacOS desktop app. A recent article states that Harmony is no priority for parent company Logitech, and their CEO straight up says, "How long it will be out there, I don’t know.”

So, is there an alternative that is:
  1. as intuitive to use (activities to turn on everything and set the right inputs with 1 button press)
  2. easily user-programmable (no need for a CI dealer or expensive separate program - this excludes Creston, Control4, etc.)
  3. reasonably priced
  4. endowed with comprehensive component library and reasonable expectations that it will be updated for new gear
  5. not infected with internet-connected microphones (no Amazon or Google devices wanted)

Sadly, I think the days of R&D investing in better universal remotes is dead.

The mass market seems to be shifting to apps and voice controls, or little AppleTV type remotes that access rich UIs on screen.

Top Bottom