• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Universal Audio Apollo Twin X Review (Audio Interface)

Any opinion about the Apollo mic preamps vs the RME? Been considering an Apollo X4 for recording. I have a BabyFace Pro FS and Antelope audio Zen Tour.
That depends. If you just want the best clean pre. RME sounds better to me and most users Ive spoken to. If you want to use the preamp emulations, then the Apollo stuff had the edge there.
However, I don't think it's a great idea to record through software emulations of preamps in the first place. Software can't affect the sound until its already digitized, so (in my opinion) you might as well record clean and add the emulation in post if you want it. That way you can change/adjust it later if need be.
I'd stick with the current gear and just add a UAD2 DSP satellite if you want to use the preamp plugins in post or just use the ones made by Waves and a billion other companies these days and save the budget for a nice external pre or whatever else you'd like.

Dave Tremblay

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The assumption that software can’t affect the sound until it’s digitized isn’t actually true in the case of Apollo. When you select a preamp model for a channel, the plug-in has the ability to modify the analog front end circuitry, modeling the gain changing characteristics of the circuit and also the input impedance.

Sergey2020

We have an Apollo Twin sitting on the console to run plugins. I've used it to record. It's a lot better than other budget all-in-one audio interfaces, but not ideal for pro work. I noticed some audible "jitter clicks" in the recordings. Less than, say, a PreSonus AudioBox or something like that but more than the converters we normally use at the studio (D.A.D., Lynx, RedNet) or even RME.

As far as the DAC, it's sufficient for mixing songs ITB (in-the-box) but not mastering. For mastering (and pro services in general) you'd want to stick with something that sounds more detailed.
If you're an audiophile (as many in here seem to be), and for whatever reason are looking at recording gear to listen to your music on, this ain't so bad for the price. Better options are out there though.

We use Focusrite Pro RedNet AM2 headphone amps for artists recording. For DAC purposes, you could install Dante Virtual Soundcard on your computer and that would allow you to use the AM2's DAC. It gives you a headphone amp connected over ethernet (which allows you to be much further from the computer than USB, if need be) and has 2 line outs that could feed an analog receiver or amplifier for speaker systems. The outputs are XLR but XLR to ¼" cables are easy to find if that's what you need. As are XLR to just about any analog connector type. It's in the price range of a desktop Apollo but with a focus on the DAC and hp amp, rather than ADC, mic preamps, and DSP audiophiles have no need for.

Anything RME is likely a small step up or more also.
Advice on a DAC or audio interface for mastering

Chez

We have an Apollo Twin sitting on the console to run plugins. I've used it to record. It's a lot better than other budget all-in-one audio interfaces, but not ideal for pro work. I noticed some audible "jitter clicks" in the recordings. Less than, say, a PreSonus AudioBox or something like that but more than the converters we normally use at the studio (D.A.D., Lynx, RedNet) or even RME.

As far as the DAC, it's sufficient for mixing songs ITB (in-the-box) but not mastering. For mastering (and pro services in general) you'd want to stick with something that sounds more detailed.
If you're an audiophile (as many in here seem to be), and for whatever reason are looking at recording gear to listen to your music on, this ain't so bad for the price. Better options are out there though.

We use Focusrite Pro RedNet AM2 headphone amps for artists recording. For DAC purposes, you could install Dante Virtual Soundcard on your computer and that would allow you to use the AM2's DAC. It gives you a headphone amp connected over ethernet (which allows you to be much further from the computer than USB, if need be) and has 2 line outs that could feed an analog receiver or amplifier for speaker systems. The outputs are XLR but XLR to ¼" cables are easy to find if that's what you need. As are XLR to just about any analog connector type. It's in the price range of a desktop Apollo but with a focus on the DAC and hp amp, rather than ADC, mic preamps, and DSP audiophiles have no need for.

Anything RME is likely a small step up or more also.
I don't think jitter results in clicks/pops. Are the clicks/pops/dropouts evident in the recording recording process or in playback, mix down etc? Lots of variables. Possible fine tuning between software & interface settings, OS/bios settings & all of the system's hardware compatibility. Since the Apollo has additional functions vs the other converters/interfaces, all of its elements & uses need to be accounted for.

Chez

The assumption that software can’t affect the sound until it’s digitized isn’t actually true in the case of Apollo. When you select a preamp model for a channel, the plug-in has the ability to modify the analog front end circuitry, modeling the gain changing characteristics of the circuit and also the input impedance.
aka Unison

Top Bottom