• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unimpressive DT990 Edition 600 ohm bass?

Budgeter

Hi all,

Recently, I had a chance to try out DT880 Edition/premium 250/600 ohm (already returned) and DT990 Edition 600 ohm (currently own). At least to my ear, their bass are almost the same, though DT880 is a bit tighter (and faster?).

Upgrading from AD700x which is my daily driver for 2 years, I want to try something new in term of sound signature, that's why I returned Dt880 because they're pretty similar to 700x, to the point that I consider 880 is a direct upgrade from 700x. Now that I got 990 and surprisingly, nothing stands out. I have no complaint about their sound quality, they just don't live up to my expectation.

FYI, in case anyone assumes that I'm a bass head, AD700x is a bass-anemic pair, and I still love it.

My source: Laptop (mainly Youtube - maybe this is the case?) => Topping D10 => Atom amp.

Did I miss something here? Any suggestion aside from EQ-ing?

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Focal.

Fluffy

First of all, Youtube is an unreliable source. There are videos with descent bitrates, and there are ones that are terrible. Even a basic subscription (not even Hifi) to any music streaming service is preferable.

Second, why not EQ? If you like every aspect of the headphone besides bass response, you can definitely fix that with EQ to a degree. Though not every headphone can be fixed.

Third, I join the recommendation on Focal.

OP
B

Budgeter

First of all, Youtube is an unreliable source. There are videos with descent bitrates, and there are ones that are terrible. Even a basic subscription (not even Hifi) to any music streaming service is preferable.

Second, why not EQ? If you like every aspect of the headphone besides bass response, you can definitely fix that with EQ to a degree. Though not every headphone can be fixed.

Third, I join the recommendation on Focal.
Because most of the song that I listen to (anime OST) are not on streaming services. Off course I'm talking about original release, not cover or remaster by other people, so I don't bother using these services.

About EQ, it's just my personal preference. I used to be an EQ guy, but now I simply prefer what comes out of the box, perhaps someday I will use EQ again?

And thanks for your suggestion of Focal. Though I should stated that I have no interest in getting another pair right now. I just want to know what's wrong in my expectation of Dt880/990 line, or in my setup.

GeorgeWalk

I just sold my DT-880 (250 ohm) headphones. I didn't like the bass response either. I am using Topping D90 and JDS Labs Atom amp. I switched to Sennheiser HD660S and I am really happy with those. I bought them used. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 599s that I like. I think I just prefer the Sennheiser sound signature more than the Beyerdynamic sound.

Fluffy

@Budgeter
About the anime OST, that’s a pretty valid point. Never thought about that, really, and I wonder now if there is some service that contains those in high quality.

I found that trying to be satisfied with what comes out of the box is a frustrating endeavor. No headphone is perfect, and there is always room for more customization and refinement. If you have a certain sound signature in mind, I believe it's best to find something that most closely approach it, and tweak the last remaining details with EQ. By the way, I'm firmly against trying to EQ headphones to any sort of target response. I'm just talking about tweaking headphones to suit your particular taste.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your setup. Your DAC/Amp should be letting your phones sound just the way they are supposed to. So if it doesn't fit you, it's the headphones fault.

DIY Audio Heaven is a great site. Unfortunately, they don't have thorough measurements of most of Audio Technica's headphones, so we can't directly compare the AD700X to the DT990 in terms of FR.

OP
B

Budgeter

@Budgeter
About the anime OST, that’s a pretty valid point. Never thought about that, really, and I wonder now if there is some service that contains those in high quality.

I found that trying to be satisfied with what comes out of the box is a frustrating endeavor. No headphone is perfect, and there is always room for more customization and refinement. If you have a certain sound signature in mind, I believe it's best to find something that most closely approach it, and tweak the last remaining details with EQ. By the way, I'm firmly against trying to EQ headphones to any sort of target response. I'm just talking about tweaking headphones to suit your particular taste.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your setup. Your DAC/Amp should be letting your phones sound just the way they are supposed to. So if it doesn't fit you, it's the headphones fault.

DIY Audio Heaven is a great site. Unfortunately, they don't have thorough measurements of most of Audio Technica's headphones, so we can't directly compare the AD700X to the DT990 in terms of FR.
I agree that Solderdude's site is really valuable for me when I seek out for analytical review. Although his site doesn't have measurement for 700X, other sources like Rtings has and I use them in this case.

Personally, I don't have any particular taste, what I need is only a wow factor when trying a new pair, that's why I always look for something different instead of a direct upgrade. I also agree that EQ (or even modding) is the easiest way to achieve what we prefer, but come to think of it, I feel like it mostly defeats the purpose of buying a new pair. There is nothing wrong with EQ, and for sure even EQ can never make one headphones 100% becomes the other, but for the reason as stated, it make me prefer what come out of the box.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Someone needs to sent me some open AT's to measure.
I don't have an AT dealer around alas.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-3-1/graph#370/3161/329

AD700 sounds bass-shy to me with piercing treble but better midrange (mostly neutral).
DT990 (not 600 Ohm) is midbass oriented with also piercing treble and is a little recessed in the mids (bathtub curve).

Fluffy

@Budgeter
You should consider this – first impression of headphones could be deceptive. There are numerous headphones that are designed with a V shape FR or exaggerated bass/treble that have that "wow factor" on the first couple of minutes. But after a while listening to them, you discover that it's way more fatiguing than a more balanced pair.

I've had that experience with the Amiron Home, when at first listening it was really impressive, but after I got them and had them for several weeks, the flaws were more evidently revealed. Listening to many different styles and tracks reveal any inherent deficiencies.

From what @solderdude found, I think both of these headphones are lacking in bass. They both start to roll off at about 150 hz, the AD just loses bass a bit faster.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone needs to sent me some open AT's to measure.
I don't have an AT dealer around alas.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-3-1/graph#370/3161/329

AD700 sounds bass-shy to me with piercing treble but better midrange (mostly neutral).
DT990 (not 600 Ohm) is midbass oriented with also piercing treble and is a little recessed in the mids (bathtub curve).
I just acquired a pair of the AT R70x (the open back"pro" ones) and would thinking about sending them to you. V comfy, nowhere near as peaky as other AT I have heard (casts eye at W5000 on the shelf) . Because they are relatively small cups and light, just about perfect Bedphones.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I just acquired a pair of the AT R70x (the open back"pro" ones) and would thinking about sending them to you. V comfy, nowhere near as peaky as other AT I have heard (casts eye at W5000 on the shelf) . Because they are relatively small cups and light, just about perfect Bedphones.

That would only be possible from within the EU. If so I would be interested in measuring them.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That would only be possible from within the EU. If so I would be interested in measuring them.
Well, you tell me what the UKs current position is regarding being in the EU, those of us that live here really don't have a clue! (my belief is import /export /shipping is currently as if we are in)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well, you tell me what the UKs current position is regarding being in the EU

LOL ... yes, till now it appears that shipping is similar to within the EU.
Shipping it to me takes about a week, shipping back also. Need about a week with it to measure etc. So parting with it for 3 weeks would not have to be a problem. PM me for details.

Top Bottom