• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unheated garage audio recommendation

garageaudio

Looking to buy a pair of speakers for a 2-car garage.

Considerations:

- Budget is $500 for a pair of speakers, no space for woofer
- Garage has no heating, cooling, or insulation
- Temperature range from 15 - 100 F throughout the year
- High humidity in summer (concerned about condensation and damage to cones)
- Speakers will be wall mounted roughly 3 - 4 ft apart
- I will be working about 5 - 10 ft away from the speakers

Was considering OSD AP650 outdoor speakers as recommended by nytimes.com, but read Amir's review and decided against it.

Not really interested in portable BT speakers. Would prefer to wall mount a speaker pair.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you wanted a little DIY, building boxes for some top car audio speakers would work. They see such temperature extremes and more.

I'd say any poly type drivers with a rubber surround would be okay even speakers meant for indoor use.

OP
G

garageaudio

If you wanted a little DIY, building boxes for some top car audio speakers would work. They see such temperature extremes and more.

I'd say any poly type drivers with a rubber surround would be okay even speakers meant for indoor use.

Thanks, but looking for off-the-shelf solutions.

OP
G

garageaudio

Perhaps a JBL Control 5 here and here. Plastic everything, speaker protection circuitry and wall mountable.
How would I go about wall mounting this?

What amp do you suggest I buy? Was hoping to pick up a compact amp with BT (or with a BT adapter) since I don't have space for a full-blown receiver.

Any other speakers that I should consider alongside this?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz. I found a <.pdf> at a Asian JBL website. There are 6 different mounting methods if memory serves me correct. Some more expensive than others.

@garageaudio I should mention the JBL Control 5 are 4 Ohm speakers.

Last edited:

Webninja

Forum Donor
How about powered speakers? If you have outlets, maybe some JBL 305 mkii or your flavor of powered monitor would be good. I am thinking about doing the same just as an excuse to get new desktop speakers.

OP
G

garageaudio

That's a good option but my primary concern is the humidity and condensation.

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking that. But my intent is them to leave the speakers wall mounted year round.

Top Bottom