• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

unexplainable loud buzzing noise when using my Aune x1s?

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

It won't damage the equipment when you plug a device with safety ground cable in a socket without safety ground.

You merely run a risk of getting a firm jolt from such devices when they either have unusually high leakage currents OR when something (a component or wiring) in the device fails in such a way that metal parts you can touch get electrified by specific internal faults.
This is why it is called safety ground.

With SMPS that have a grounded cable this ground usually is ONLY connected to the mains side and NOT on the DC output side.
That is the tricky part.
This is why I suggested to ground the enclosure (bare metal parts of it) or the RCA shield to an actual ground.
That ground could be a groundpin in a wall socket or (all metal) piping of central heating or water piping (when all copper) and then only on bare metal surfaces as paint isolates.
These SHOULD always be connected to safety ground. Unless, of course, some plastic piping is used.

But there is no way to convert an outlet thats not grounded by plugging in a powerboard with grounded connections right? its still not grounded? You have to have it grounded the whole way?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You would need to have an electrician pull in some ground wiring throughout the house.
Very likely the groundwires aren't present.
When you really need a ground I would suggest to find out if waterpiping or central heating piping is grounded and try to use that to make a connection.
Besides, it may not cure your problems. Add to that the spot where you ground equipment is also important. In some cases grounding the RCA shield may not be the best thing. It may need to be the enclosure or even a DC inlet or you may have to ground the PC only... etc.

Troubleshooting grounding issues usually isn't easy and straightforward.

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

You would need to have an electrician pull in some ground wiring throughout the house.
Very likely the groundwires aren't present.
When you really need a ground I would suggest to find out if waterpiping or central heating piping is grounded and try to use that to make a connection.

Well i do have grounded connections kitchen and hallway hallway ones were installed about two years ago when they installed fiber what is your take on me just plugging in a 15 meter long extension cable from my hallway and plug it into a power board? i could plug in my Aune x1s x7s my computer monitor my studio monitors and not have to worry about it or is that just a waste?

Considering my Aune x1s makes that same noise no matter if the plug is grounded or not

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you have a 15m extension cord you could roll that out and plug the lot in it.
See (or rather hear) what happens.
If that solves your problems it may be an idea to get a ground-wire to the room with all the electronics.

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

[
When you have a 15m extension cord you could roll that out and plug the lot in it.
See (or rather hear) what happens.
If that solves your problems it may be an idea to get a ground-wire to the room with all the electronics.

Found a 10 meter one cheap less than 30 dollars :) doubt it will improve anything but i will feel a little bit better knowing everything is plugged into a grounded socket i have plenty of power boards laying around too

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay well seeing how the majority of my power sockets aint grounded i dont really have a choice i have a lot of equipment that uses the ground type of cable that i have to plug into non grounded power sockets i just looked my monitor for one my powered speakers you saying this could damage them somehow? The Aune x1s has the same noise even when i plugged it into the grounded kitchen power outlet and when using the vanilla power supply that aint using a grounded power cable noise remains

But if i plug a power board that has grounded connections into a grounded power outlet would that make it grounded? for example could draw a long extension power cable.. 10 meters 15 meters from a grounded connection into a power board with grounded power outlets and that would be grounded? like this

View attachment 66973View attachment 66974
Max number of sockets allowed per circuit (separate fyse) is 8, by the way.

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

I thought i should come back to this considering how something quite unnerving and strange happened i was using coax with my Aune x1s plugged all into earthed connections when i checked on my setup touched the case of the Aune x1s the sound vanished it was still powered on but no audio i had to restart it for it to work again this confused me greatly so i changed to toslink same thing but the sound only went away when i touched the case and came right back when i didn't last time i used usb and now it works like normal

I first thought there was something wrong with the power supply or the connections but nope i have no idea why this happens another mystery to add to the list i guess :rolleyes:

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It looks like some static pulse made it into the digital parts and froze the thing.

Before one dismisses this, I have to test (railway related electronics, incl. PC's) for ESD as well now and then when doing EMC testing.
Funny thing is that the entire cabinet can pass all electrical and RF tests yet it failed (PC freezes) when ESD pulses (10kV) are shot onto the PC cabinet on the metal cabinet enclosure at a specific spot where at different spots and released on connectors etc. everything works fine.

When the system works normally on USB (with all grounded power supply) I would simply use that.
Hoping the weird noises issues you had are all gone now.

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

It looks like some static pulse made it into the digital parts and froze the thing.

Before one dismisses this, I have to test (railway related electronics, incl. PC's) for ESD as well now and then when doing EMC testing.
Funny thing is that the entire cabinet can pass all electrical and RF tests yet it failed (PC freezes) when ESD pulses (10kV) are shot onto the PC cabinet on the metal cabinet enclosure at a specific spot where at different spots and released on connectors etc. everything works fine.

When the system works normally on USB (with all grounded power supply) I would simply use that.

Still cant use the headphone out on my Aune x1s but using my aune x7s i have no noise problems well nothing i can hear anyway i guess i will just use usb from now on might try coax later and experiment a little bit
P1010945.JPG

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

Jus

Just wanted to report back now when i got my extension cable it worked!!! :) No more noise just to make sure i also tried using coax nope no matter how much i touch my Aune x1s there is no noise i honestly didn't think it would work but it did!!! :)

I have now tested setting my Aune x7s on 20 db gain and using the 598 at max volume no noise so they must have been the same noise

Last edited:
Top Bottom