• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unexpectedly good albums (also okay with individual songs)

DanielT

Major Contributor
What have you encountered? Then and or now.

I give this as an example. By chance I listened to this one and I'm not into 90s britpop as such. By that I mean I listen to 90s pop like any other music but this album was really good::D
frontwithsticker.jpg

Favorite from that album:
This one, among others, is also good:

Supergrass are an English rock band formed in 1993 in Oxford. For the majority of the band's tenure, the line-up consisted of brothers Gaz (lead vocals, guitar) and Rob Coombes (keyboards), Mick Quinn (bass, backing vocals) and Danny Goffey (drums, backing vocals). Originally a three-piece, Rob Coombes officially joined the band in 2002.

Tassin

During Covid lockdown my wife's employer organized a living room concert via Teams. It featured a local band. We're both huge fans since that evening.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Good tip Tassin! :D
____
It's damn fun with songs, albums, groups that release music that you didn't think had that thing that triggers you. That if it's about something completely new, obscure or something that a well-known artist, group releases.

The best he's done in decades, and the series is otherwise damn good.:D

I didn't expect this:

Screenshot_2023-03-09_203154.jpg

Edit:
3:15 into the video on how the team song by Mick Jagger came about::)

Last edited:

Andretti60

What the hell, one more. Unexpected for me that I thought it would be so good. You'd think that they wouldn't be able to create something as good as the old classics, but boy was I wrong. A good song from the good album.:)

View attachment 270712

Many commercial synth-pop groups of the eighties were indeed good musicians, another album that surprised me was Spirit of Eden by the British band Talk Talk. Needless to say, a commercial failure, their old fans didn’t like it and it was ignored by people who didn’t like synth-pop.

jsilvela

Great idea for a thread. I've been surprised sometimes by liking mainstream acts, which I generally have a prejudice against.

But going for two less well known acts that have surprised me:

WHY? - indie rock
Album: AOKOHIO ... for a recent one.
This song from it:

Doseone - rap / hip-hop
Album: G is for JOB ... because it's recent, but doseone's other albums and collaborations are consistently good
Song:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
There were no expectations, just stumbled upon this.

I am kind of surprised though how much this recording moves me, given its rather unassuming sound quality. For instance I'm still wondering if it's mono or stereo. Either way it's just lovely.

600x600bf-60.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What happens when Berklee College of Music grads (and/or faculty) essay bluegrass.
I bought this to get a different version of my favorite bluegrass song, the Stanley Brothers' Rank Strangers. The weirdness of this album exceeded my expectations, in a mostly good way.

ab67616d0000b273ef91f819920eaadbc1595ff4

see if this link grants access to the various and sundry tracks of the album.

If not, here, try one or both of these.
I really like these two.

The title track:

June Apple:

Boston area faves (of the era) Jennifer Kimball, Lucy Kaplansky, and Tracy Bonham provide many of the vocals, with some pretty impressive support from some other women -- EDIT: oh, and the late "Dr." Ralph Stanley himself warbles Man of Constant Sorrow, too! :)

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
There were no expectations, just stumbled upon this.

I am kind of surprised though how much this recording moves me, given its rather unassuming sound quality. For instance I'm still wondering if it's mono or stereo. Either way it's just lovely.

600x600bf-60.jpg
Well, BUT it can also be famous artists that you (or I, should I add) didn't think could create something new and exciting that you suddenly hear.
"Strange Games" by Mick Jagger (#3 in the thread). Okay, it's not completely out of the blue, considering what Mick Jagger was up to earlier in his career, but still.

By the way, I've now finished the series, "Slow Horses". It's recommended, check it out. If you want Brittania vibes, it's right up your alley. Dry British humor plus excitement in a nice package.:)

___
Did you know these before, I will eat my hat, if I had any hat, #5 in the thread:) :

Top Bottom