• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Understanding unity setting on active monitor speakers

Hotwetrat

I have the Eris E8 XT

I get the basic jist of the unity setting I THINK but I am curious.

Not that I could ever have it set there because I would be DEAF but, are these speakers actually designed to run set at 'unity' (mid way volume as shown in this pic) this is a pure head scratching curiosity - mostly due to them being overwhelmingly loud at very low volume setting. (In red is approx where I have them set)

eris-e5-xt-2.jpg

Many thanks

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The manual shows how to calibrate to 85 dbSPL at the listening position. I don't think that is properly explained actually. I see voodooless has posted it as on page 11 which is where this procedure is explained.

In essence set that gain level where you need it. They say send a 0 db (max level) pink noise thru the system and set the gain on the speakers so you get 82 dbSPL for each speaker by itself. I think that is in error actually. You would want -20 db pink noise and set it to 82 db SPL for one speaker which gives 85 db SPL for both together and leaves 20 db of headroom for peaks.

OP
Hotwetrat

Hotwetrat

I don't think that is properly explained actually. I see voodooless has posted it as on page 11 which is where this procedure is explained.

Yes thank you, I mostly got it, and appreciate the clarification. I did find it a little unclear - that being said, this was also somewhat more of a theoretical question, regarding how not to blow up my speakers and exactly what use the 'unity' position has.

I am still a little fuzzy tbh

Geert

Major Contributor
how not to blow up my speakers and exactly what use the 'unity' position has.

As you probably found out already unity gain mains the input stage of the amplifier forwards the input signal without attenuation or amplification.

Unfortunately Eris does not find it necessary to specify the input sensitivity or total gain of the amplifier, so we don't know what to expect when you feed it a certain level of input signal. There are also no input level or clipping indicators, so it's all guess work. Bad practise, probably the result of cutting costs.

As a comparison, what Genelec specifies on the 8020D: "Input level for 100 dB SPL output at 1 m: -6 dBu at volume control max" (1 dBu being 0,775V, and "volume control max" being +6 dB). And their volume control has dB markings, and the amplifier provides driver overload protection. But they are in a different price category.

Top Bottom