• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Understanding subjectivists; the problem of engagement

Grumple

Forum Donor
Edited for clarity and in light of well received criticism. Also to be less purposefully confrontational.

The problem of dealing with subjectivists like Darko et al.

I am a prospective phd candidate, working on a proposal that will specialize in petite ideology and identity conflicts, so read into the following all the biases you wish for they are certainly there, if unbeknownst to me. However, I've been watching the audio enthusiast civil war with intrigue and some things strike me as worthy of comment.

It seems to be the case, that the subjectivists find themselves deep within an ideological/identity trap. The fallacious rhetoric they use, for example, imaginary 'conversations' with objectivists or self referential reasoning etc. is akin to that employed by opinion formers in civil wars. It is as if they see objectivity as an existential threat. Of course it isn't, but it is a serious threat to their livelihoods, built on selling pseudoscience as fact.

The reason, I might posit, that they are so vociferous in their hatred of objectivity is precisely because they have built their internal identities and their external ideological reference as standing against objectivity. They are self declared subjectivists and that is it. The problem, as far as anyone outside the extreme midsts of the group is concerned, is that strong, ideologically grounded identities exist, almost exclusively, as a negative. They can be defined most clearly by what they are not. And what they are not is objectively driven.

The consequences of this are such that they have created for themselves a fortress of rotten bullshit and any attempts to disinfect it can instantly be labelled as "objectivist nonsense" and be readily rejected. Their adherence to this identity is so strong that their (unconsciously directed) responses to objectivity may well feel to them as some kind of existential as well as financial threat.

In this world view, anyone on the outside is a potential threat. As is "DBX testing", cheap DACs etc. There is no limit to the mental gymnastics and no limit to the levels of cognitive dissonance that they will deploy against attempts to de-shitify the world of hi-fi.

The result of this, as I see it, is at least two fold. Firstly, we (that is those not beholden to this worldview) should not engage their wilfully ignorant, facile and minimum ramblings, proclamations, videos etc. Any engagement on will only serve to reinforce their beliefs. Always remember that they identify by being, very firmly, against objectivity. Instead, they should be able to come to the objective information and eventually figure it out for themselves (maybe) and indeed be encouraged to do so.

Secondly, we could tentatively acknowledge what we might call 'informed subjectivity' as a means of heading them off. What I mean by this is that one should feel free, for example; to spend more money than necessary on an aesthetically pleasing piece of equipment; listen to demonstrably inferior analogue mediums, (or any thing else slightly irrational) on the understanding that it is irrational and inferior, but that we don't care. We recognise that our subjective pleasure is just that, subjective, but nonetheless relevant and 'real' if but purely in terms of ones listening enjoyment. This may take the wind out of some of their sales (maybe). But it may also help to prevent objectivity becoming just another ideologically founded, group think, identity.

In conclusion then, pity the poor fools for they know not what they do. Their demonstrably flawed human brains (everybody's brains are flawed) are leading them on a right merry old dance. All the psychological imperatives we, as humans, have developed over the millennia, that impel us to be part of a group and jolly well not do, or question, anything that might imperil the coherence of the group that protects us so and gives us such purpose in life, are binding them deep within this ideological trap. We can only hope that one day they will see the truth and the walls of resistant bullshit will start to crumble. Just don't bet on it or try too forcefully to convert them!

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
they have created for themselves a fortress of rotten bullshit

Haha. Every thesis needs a line like this.

My pet theory on why this kind of thing is so bad in hifi is that audio itself is so ephemeral.

The evaluation of quality takes place entirely inside your head. It's evaluation is very easily affected my your state of mind. You can't pause and examine it. It is not intuitively linked to numerical measurements in most people's minds. In most cases it is hard or impossible for average people to conduct useful tests on their own.

I think these features of hifi audio make it easier for such ideologies and identities to grow around it.

OP
Grumple

Grumple

Forum Donor
Any human being that defines themselves as ' objectivist ' is on similarly unsound ground imo.

You had me reading with interest until the 'us ' and ' them ' rhetoric kicked in.
That's fair. I tried to avoid that, it's tricky to not get into it. I didn't mean in any sense other than the 'us' being outside of their identity.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
They are quite sad and pitiful people with existences entirely defined by their recognition as subjectivist audiophiles.

A bit harsh...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
@Thomas savage you probably didn't get to this bit ;)
No I did read the self absolving caveat , to me it's written with a mindset like the boyfriend who thinks they can offer counselling to the girlfriend they just dumped .

OP
Grumple

Grumple

Forum Donor
Grumple, I found you are very aggressive. It's bullshit ok, but if they want to believe, this their own equation.
I still want to see my subjectivist friends, share our records, drink coffees... It's not civil war!
I still see mine, they don't read this site or know my avatar so no worries there! Aggression wasn't my intention, harsh truth was what I was aiming for.

OP
Grumple

Grumple

Forum Donor
No I did read the self absolving caveat , to me it's written with a mindset like the boyfriend who thinks they can offer counselling to the girlfriend they just dumped .
Ok, I don't fully agree with that. But thanks for the reply and the feedback.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I still see mine, they don't read this site or know my avatar so no worries there! Aggression wasn't my intention, harsh truth was what I was aiming for.
Your vocabulary is a bit pejorative against them.

I've was thinking about my relationship with subjectivist and my conclusion was I have to explain them how brutal their assertions are to me. Because I have the right to have feeling and the right to express it, it's mine, personal and nobody can negates it.

So, we found solution, nobody hurts nobody. Let's talk about music, records, concerts.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yeah, I added that on a read through and didn't read through again. Probably true though. I'll give the politicians apology, "if" anyones offended, I'm sorry for that.

Well, it seems to reflect how you feel, which as others are pointing out is needlessly condescending. Bordering on obnoxious even...which side of the border seems to be open to debate, but seems to be guaranteed to get almost everyone who doesn't agree completely to just move on.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I accept that. If I were to write it again I'd probably tone it down, but I posted it and I nonetheless stand by the thrust of the argument.
Just read it through, it works brilliantly as a confessional .

A little objectivity and introspection is all it needs. ;)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Be thankful I'm not on your committee. Otherwise, I'd give a couple of harsh critiques:

1. "Subjectivist" as you're using it is a (admittedly common) misuse of that term. What you really mean to say is "coming to judgments without the use of any basic controls." Or "Irrationalist," if you prefer. If one does a properly controlled listening test, it involves subjective judgments, especially preference testing.

2. DBX? I think what you mean is "double-blind test."

You need to have better familiarity with the basic terminology in order to pursue doctoral-level work.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Be thankful I'm not on your committee. Otherwise, I'd give a couple of harsh critiques:

1. "Subjectivist" as you're using it is a (admittedly common) misuse of that term. What you really mean to say is "coming to judgments without the use of any basic controls." Or "Irrationalist," if you prefer. If one does a properly controlled listening test, it involves subjective judgments, especially preference testing.

You need to have better familiarity with the basic terminology in order to pursue doctoral-level work.
Like the English language (spoken) , pizza is (re)defined by common usage and trends..

Pineapple anyone .

OP
Grumple

Grumple

Forum Donor

Indeed. I should point out, audio is not the realm I would be writing on. I struck me there were some similarities to other areas.

Thanks for the feedback and I definitely take on board all you've said.

Top Bottom