• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Understanding Speaker Measurements (Video)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Per popular demand, I recorded a long (1 hour) video on how to read speaker measurements but also, the underlying research (and physics) that mandate some of those concepts. Also covered is equalization and listening tests (briefly). As usual, my videos are "one take" directly recorded and uploaded (and in this case, with no reharsal). So please take it easy as far as critiquing it in that regard. :)

A personal note: as you all know, I don't allow advertising in my videos, nor do I pester people to subscribe, give likes, etc. in the video. Alas, it seems some out there are keeping score on popularity of my content as proof point of whether their audio videos are more correct than mine. So let's even the playground and subscribe to my channel if you have not before. Click on this link to go to my youtube channel (youtube.com/@audiosciencereview) and do that. Appreciate it in advance.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Subscribed and particularly looking forward to this video.
Exemplary work.
Keith

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alas, it seems some out there are keeping score on popularity of my content as proof point of whether their audio videos are more correct than mine.
Internet...

Where "popularity" gives you more credibility than the actual truth. :rolleyes:

Didn't watch the video yet, but I'm sure it's comprehensive content. Glad to see you back on YT!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Awesome awesome awesome! Speaker speaking about speakers. Thanks Amir! Can I say awesome again???

Are we all on the same Wavelength? 12 hz almost 100ft. How does it fit in my house? I need a bigger house :cool::D

Next Video request: How to Professionally Create EQ filters.

Last edited:

Firespeed

Thank you so much Amir !!!

Will watch this with very big interest !!! I will finally understand how it works and how to understand your measurements on speakers !

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Have you ever taken a speaker like this, made the DSP corrections and then measured it again with the NFS?
I have not but the results would be as you would predict. Unless the speaker is compressing or something, the DSP does exactly what you would expect.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice video. Very informative, educational. People do this kind of stuff for money and put it on Brilliant or Master Class and whatnot. Very generous of you to share your knowledge and experience for free.

I was worried about my attention span, that I am gonna start drifting off given the length of the video, but it was not a problem at all. Every minute of it is filled with useful information, and not with filler content. Very interesting, very fluid. Thank you Amir.

I have also noted that you put all speakers you measure on a pedestal, might come handy in future arguments.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I forgot that (extremely low) trolling quality in YT comments...
Screenshot_20230424-084751.png

Screenshot_20230424-084823.png

Screenshot_20230424-084823.png

Top Bottom