• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Understanding my soundcard loopback measurements

Interference

Hi all. I am having some learning time testing my good old E-MU 0404 soundcard in loopback. The card as combined inputs:
- TRS, Zin = 1 MOhm, FS = 12 dBV FS (~ 4 Vrms)
- XLR, Zin = 1.5 kOhm FS = 6 dBV FS (~ 2 Vrms)

When using a TRS to RCA adapter, output is measured at 2,07 Vrms with my multimeter. Stays within few per-mils going from 50 to 1000 Hz. Output impedance (line) is 560 Ohm. Using this signal as a calibration, I estimated the full scale of the input to be a little lower than the specs - as well as the output is a bit higher than the specs; probably this has to do with the gain stages.

Coming to the loobpack measurements, first thing I discovered is that cables do matter. Using a cheap generic cable against a S/PDIF-rated coaxial, so shielded shows noise floor variations as high as 10 dB, especially between 2 and 10 kHz. Probably won't be relevant at all when reproducing sound with a digital line chain, but it's critical for measurements and could impact low-level signals.

Let's come to the loopback measurements (all with the good cable). I have done 0.0 dBFS and a -60 dBFS loopback tests for the two input configurations. Note that:
- FS is different, so only relative measurements matter;
- input impedance is low for the XLR input, so the signal is reduced to 1.5 / (1.5 + 0.56).

0.0 dBFS
EMU-TRS-2.jpg
EMU-XLR-2.jpg

-60.0 dBFS
m60-EMU-TRS-1.jpg
m60-EMU-XLR-1.jpg

Observations and questions

- XLR input is ~ 2-3 dB quieter than TRS input, not sure if this is compatible with the lower input impedance (1 M in parallel with 560 shouldn't bring much more noise); could also be the different gain stage. Not sure, however it's not so much puzzling;
- distortion is ~2-3 dB lower for XLR when the signal is FS, but is 5 dB lower in favour of TRS when the signal is -60 dBFS. Note that the XLR input is more near to saturation for the 0.0 dBFS signal.

Can anybody give an interpretation of this? I am curious.

Top Bottom