• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Understanding a Speaker's Recommended Amp Spec.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Indeed. We can't "rely" on specs, just "hope" they are providing some useful info, and take them with a grain of salt. Doesn't sound like the manufacturers were very reputable in the scenario you mentioned . . .
This is exactly why ASR was created and exists. To take these components and their related specs, and put them on Amir’s test bench. Every time he tests something our knowledge grows wider and deeper in relation to exactly what these components are providing/producing. So far it doesn’t look very promising that what a particular manufacturer advertises as to the performance specifications and reality. We’re learning more and more that we have a wide gap between what we think we are buying/getting and what we actually have. We can only hope that the “ASR effect” is putting pressure on OEMs to be more transparent about their specs and to work towards better designed and engineered products.

How do we help? Keep sending in kit to be tested and become a Supporter and help finance this operation. ;)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Indeed. We can't "rely" on specs, just "hope" they are providing some useful info, and take them with a grain of salt. Doesn't sound like the manufacturers were very reputable in the scenario you mentioned . . .
Very reputable and the specifications were correct. They just stated something 50W< at 8 ohm and 100W< 4 ohm. While in practice it was like 60W and 105 for example. But 50/100 looks better than 60/105 because people were looking for doubling in output.

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very reputable and the specifications were correct. They just stated something 50W< at 8 ohm and 100W< 4 ohm. While in practice it was like 60W and 105 for example. But 50/100 looks better than 60/105 because people were looking for doubling in output.
So they were reputable . . . but eh hum . . . being sneaky?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
OP
A

ash87

I'd say the LA90 is not a good choice. Only 36 watts at 8 ohms. And only 50 watts at 2 ohms according to Amir's review. So it doesn't have lots of current capability for the 2.9 impedance minimum and it is marginal on power for the higher impedance ranges. It might work out, but it would be marginal all the way around. So while not a science, this one is marginal in my opinion.
Thanks. I'll pass on the LA90.

That Sir is an entirely different and much deeper rabbit hole. I have seen some variations but nothing that displays power in numbers in similar configuration. You could start reading up on the few VU Meter threads that we have here. Then there are LED strip meters and such. But I have found nothing that matches what is presented in the video except that amp. Which is of course the cost of a Car. If you do happen to discover a equivalent solution that won’t cost as much as a new Tesla please share. The video was more to demonstrate how dynamic the power fluctuations truly are. Very far from a static number. This is an incredibly complex process and trying to explain it in a few short paragraphs is never going to be successful. We are wetting your appetite hoping that you will be interested enough to start researching and reading to achieve your own deeper understanding.
lol, thanks for the laugh. Nothing seems to be straightforward with HiFi
The subject is so complex but one thing is pretty simple -- you want more than 50 watts anywhere near 2 ohms. Curious if the OP ever considered powered monitors (studio monitors)? Going that route, with a reputable manufacturer, all the amp to driver matching is done correctly for the consumer. With the added advantage of active crossovers rather than passive crossovers.
WAF was a hard no on stand mounts. The LA90 was 50W at 8 ohms. I couldn't find any info for what it produces at 2.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I'll pass on the LA90.

lol, thanks for the laugh. Nothing seems to be straightforward with HiFi

WAF was a hard no on stand mounts. The LA90 was 50W at 8 ohms. I couldn't find any info for what it produces at 2.
Amir has measured it here which is where I came up with the additional information.

OP
A

ash87

Amir has measured it here which is where I came up with the additional information.
I just saw that 50W clip limit in the review. Still sounds like it kept good distortion levels up to 50W even at 2 Ohm.

I feel a bit stuck for purchasing options after learning the Buckeye lead times. Madisound has NC400 mono kits at $770 each, so $1540 which goes nose to nose with March Audio's Purifi 1ET400A at $1600 ($400 over the Buckeye ET400A). The power is the same for both amps at 8 and 4 ohm, but the NC400 gets 580W at 2 ohm vs the Purifi 450W. It's all likely plenty of power for the Chora 826 anyway. I'm just not sure where the value is for the NC400 monos at 1400 when Buckeye (if you can wait the lead time) sells the NC502MP 2 channel for $750 which has higher power ratings (except at 2 ohm). I did a little searching on monoblocks and it doesn't look like they offer too much value over a 2 channel amp, so trying to figure out where the value is for paying $650 more for Madisound NV400 monoblocks vs the Buckeye NC502MP (lead times aside).

Voo

most speakers have a point at which they start to break up and not sound good. no matter how awesome or powerful the amp is.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
most speakers have a point at which they start to break up and not sound good. no matter how awesome or powerful the amp is.
Yep and that may not be reflected at all in anything the speaker manufacturer provides.....why would they? :)

Gary_G

Powering a pair of Focal Aria 926 speakers with a Parasound A23+. Have had no issues and would not listen loud enough to cause a problem. The amp just lumbers along without much stress at all. A sensitivity of 92db helps.

OP
A

ash87

Just want to say thanks again for the input and info from the people posting here. I ended up taking delivery of a VTV 1ET400A with stock Hypex buffer.

I have the whole system rigged up now. Just posted about it in this older thread I started this past spring.

Would be good to hear from some of you on the other thread.

Top Bottom