• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Under $200 headphones (or iems) for sleeping.

wacomme

I often listen to music when I go to bed, but more times than not fall asleep. I need some comfortable headphones that will take the beating. My Sundara’s are too fragile to get squished.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Philips shp 9500's.. Cheap and pretty good, I'm not a headphone guy but i have a pair i listen to quite often late night..*very* comfortable... And did i mention, cheap...

staticV3

Master Contributor
There are TWS IEMs designed specifically for sleeping, like the Quietbuds 2 or the SleepOn 3.
In general I'd recommend a small Bluetooth speaker like the Soundcore Mini 3 in favor of IEMs or headphones, but I'm guessing that's not an option in your case?

OP
wacomme

wacomme

There are TWS IEMs designed specifically for sleeping, like the Quietbuds 2 or the SleepOn 3.
In general I'd recommend a small Bluetooth speaker like the Soundcore Mini 3 in favor of IEMs or headphones, but I'm guessing that's not an option in your case?
Unfortunately, no. My wife doesn’t want to hear the music.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I’ve heard the beyerdynamic Soul BYRD are good to sleep in. But I don’t know about their sound quality.

mrbungle

I like the AirPods Pro for listening right before passing out. No cables and you just put them out and the audio stops. Only disadvantage is the protruding form factor, so sleeping on the side doesn’t work well. Moondrop Sparks might be worth checking out here with their more classic IEM shape. No experience with them though. If you don’t mind a cable and sleep on your back, any IEM is as good or bad for sleeping as any other, IMHO.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I toss and turn quite a bit lying on my back and sides. The Airpod Pro's would fall out. The concern isn't necessarily falling asleep, but staying asleep when my wife snores. Thus, I need something to last me the entire night. I think I'd get tangled with a wired iem; and how would I connect it to my iPhone. I have the Qudelix 5K, but that may not last the entire night. Even if it does, I think the wires would be a problem. Therefore, wireless is probably my best option. Is there a wireless iem that's small and sits flush within my ear - and sounds good?

JeremyFife

I’ve heard the beyerdynamic Soul BYRD are good to sleep in. But I don’t know about their sound quality.
I have these. No idea how they measure, but they sound good to me ... never tried sleeping with them but they're comfortable. I only use them with my phone (Sony Xperia z5ii, no external dac) though

Edited - these are wired - sorry - not what you are looking for

Last edited:

mrbungle

I got the Jabra Elite 7 Active recently for workouts and I like them. They are a bit boomy out of the box, but you can do some basic EQ in the app. The Pro version is slightly better tuned iirc. They are small and comfy (for me) and have a good battery life. People complain about poor ANC, but it works very well for me, similar to AirPods Pro.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

My alternative is some custom earplugs. I had them in the past and they worked (now broken); I struggle with regular earplugs - but not iem's (though I haven't worn iem's all night). Since I use earplugs most nights, I thought it would be a good idea to combine the isolation of earplugs with some music.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
From experience with small kids in the room next to me and snoring room mates on vacation, I can heartily recommend these:

Cheap and effective, they have a close fit and they don't cause your ears any irritation even after using them daily for a long time.

If you must have a headphone, I regularly fell asleep as a student wearing the Sennheiser hd650 and wouldn't recommend it for this purpose; what I would recommend is a Bose wireless headphone, but just for occasional use in an airplane.

Last edited:

mrbungle

From experience with small kids in the room next to me and snoring room mates on vacation, I can heartily recommend these:

Cheap and effective, they have a close fit and they don't cause your ears any irritation even after using them daily for a long time.

If you must have a headphone, I regularly fell asleep as a student wearing the Sennheiser hd650 and wouldn't recommend it for this purpose; what I would recommend is a Bose wireless headphone, but just for occasional use in an airplane.

Using Ohropax for years. First few times a bit weird, but once you figured out how to get a good seal, they are perfect.

mrbungle

Classic are the wax (and the ones I’m using).

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I sleep in Blon 03's connected to a DAP. I set the DAP to my side.
Don't you get tangled in the wires? I know I do; I toss and turn during the night and wires would get in the way.

Vict0r

Take a look at the Anker Life Dot 2 wireless IEMs. They are rather small and have a soft silicone body for added comfort. Usually meant for sports, but they sound rather decent and can be further customized with the Anker app (I think).

Schermafbeelding 2022-06-17 om 14.19.29.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom