• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uncoloured phono cartridges

JP

Major Contributor
Developing new products doesn't equate to technical progress though. These are just design choices. I haven't seen any data that shows the 540 measures very flat.

JP

Major Contributor
+4dB treble rise isn't flat to me.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I just can't get excited about modern cartridges. Since the late 70's it's pretty much been just a rehash of basic old tech with shiny new names. I have to get my kicks trying to restore things from the past.

That reminds me, @SIY, I'd like your counsel on elastomers for suspensions. I'm about to embark on bringing some old Technics styli back to life (as promised, and long over-due).
HCR.

JP

Major Contributor
Reactions: SIY

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The threaded bodies on OC9X and the bodies on VM95, and the Red, Blue, Bronze, Black bodies are all improvements over prior models, with new headshell designs to match. These go together nicely and have good industrial design. And the 540ML measures very flat. Obviously they are investing in developing new products.

I am not suggesting any breakthroughs like we saw 30-60 years ago, but they are making progress and cool new products.

Well, at least there are some of us to keep the cartridge makers in business so the "they don't make them like they used to" crowd can still get replacement styli. ;)

Which, sadly, isn't the case so much for tonearms anymore now that Jelco and SME have stopped consumer tonearm sales.

Or, worse, spare parts for my Studer and Revox decks.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
+4dB treble rise isn't flat to me.

I think the losses in vinyl replay often benefit from a little hf boost if it's a good diamond that doesn't emphasise surface noise overmuch but so many people are used to a suckout in the lower to mid kHz region.

Carry on with the Lowbeats review of this AT family and follow through to the VM740 test. It would appear the cartridge mechanicals are identical, the difference being the metal fixing bracket, which does seem to have a 'calming' effect on the response and making it a bit more old fashioned -

https://www.lowbeats.de/test-audio-technica-vm740ml/

As with many speaker designs, having a response dip in the low to mid kHz (presence?) region does seem to find favour in some quarters and I can think of a few 'lively' tonearms that may be better 'sounding' with a cartridge like this fitted.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
At 100pF, like many AT MM's, the AT150MLX isn't so flat, either, in the top octave.

file.php

Presumably this can be ameliorated with the right loading.

But it doesn't seem to make the case that vintage carts are necessarily better in all ways. The AT150MLX does have a boron cantilever, but I believe the motor and stylus are the same as the current VM5/740ML series.

And at ~$650 as the going rate for NOS AT150MLX, I would have a hard time seeing why this is a better buy than the current production VM5/740ML available at $250-$329.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the losses in vinyl replay often benefit from a little hf boost if it's a good diamond that doesn't emphasise surface noise overmuch but so many people are used to a suckout in the lower to mid kHz region.

Carry on with the Lowbeats review of this AT family and follow through to the VM740 test. It would appear the cartridge mechanicals are identical, the difference being the metal fixing bracket, which does seem to have a 'calming' effect on the response and making it a bit more old fashioned -

https://www.lowbeats.de/test-audio-technica-vm740ml/

As with many speaker designs, having a response dip in the low to mid kHz (presence?) region does seem to find favour in some quarters and I can think of a few 'lively' tonearms that may be better 'sounding' with a cartridge like this fitted.
That one looks good to me. The presence dip is mild, under -3dB, smooth and broad.

JP

Major Contributor
AT150MLX, measured just now. 47K, 150pF, TRS-1007 test record.

150MLX150pf_TRS1007.png

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
AT150MLX, measured just now. 47K, 150pF, TRS-1007 test record.

View attachment 102139

That's very different from the official Audio Technica chart I pasted above.

Is a 50 pF difference enough to account for that, or is something else going on?

I have to admit, I've never ever seen an AT150MLX graph as flat as yours anywhere else.

Or, frankly, very few cartridges of any kind.

Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor
150pF is my floor with my arm, ~8" of cable, and the miller/parasitic capacitance of my phono stage. Their plot looks like what an 150MLX does with ~300pF.

Here's a Technics P100CMK4. First is the TRS-1007 test record, and second is the TRS-1005. This highlights another major variable in measuring cartridges - how well was your test record cut?

p100cmk4_trs1007.png

1005_P100CMK450pF.png

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
150pF is my floor with my arm, ~8" of cable, and the miller/parasitic capacitance of my phono stage. Their plot looks like what an 150MLX does with ~300pF.

Weird.

Maybe their chart just meant 150 pf loading at the amp. They could easily have another 150 pf in the cable of it was long enough.

Here's a Technics P100CMK4. First is the TRS-1007 test record, and second is the TRS-1005. This highlights another major variable in measuring cartridges - how well was your test record cut?

Who knows what record they used?

I have a new to me test record (CBS Laboratories STR 100) coming.

JP

Major Contributor
AT used a TRS1007. For the old chart recorder ones they note the record.

JP

Major Contributor
Shure V15-VMR 350pF, TRS-1007.

V15VMR350pF_TRS1007.png

Top Bottom