• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uncoloured phono cartridges

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In the evenings, I've been playing a lot of my LPs which I hadn't played for a while. Mostly, it's because I've just had my EMT cartridge retipped (Expert Stylus fitted one of their Paratrace stylii in place of the old Van den hul) so am trying it out and getting a few hours on it.
Oh Oh, time to start wondering if the stylus is getting worn and needs replacing again? o_O LOL

Robin L

Master Contributor
If, for some reason, I had to go back to playing LPs, I'd [first] find out who has an ultrasonic cleaning service for LPs within driving distance. I'd get one of the recent Technics direct drive turntables, a Audio-Technica cartridge, probably moving magnet because of easy replacement, and a Parasound JC 3+ phono preamp. I've seen some frequency graphs for the recent run of AT MM cartridges, they've managed to get reasonably close to a flat frequency response, this after years of a signature sound of too much treble. But nothing would prevent me from hearing the IGD. If I had that kind of money, I'd be happier upgrading my guitar.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did ya ever notice you mounted the pc board of one amp on the bottom of the chassis and on the top of the other??? ;

And a couple of the tube sockets are 180 degree misaligned on one amp. And the on/off switch on the preamp is installed upside down. Thanks for noticing. ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Am I the only person on this forum that just uses their TT like a normal person and never fiddles with it.
I cannot comment on normality/normalcy -- but I don't muck with mine very often, either, if that makes you feel any better.
;)

Robin L

Master Contributor
I cannot comment on normality/normalcy -- but I don't muck with mine very often, either, if that makes you feel any better.
;)
Not even a little bit.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh Oh, time to start wondering if the stylus is getting worn and needs replacing again? o_O LOL
:)

The stylus was well over 10 years old, so had a decent enough life. I play LPs for maybe 2 hours a week, using the two turntables alternately, so each one gets around 50 hours a year. I used to have an hours counter on each turntable, but gave that up as after about 2 years as it became clear a stylus ought to last at least 10 years.

I did once work out that a Koetsu Unobtanium would cost around £5 per LP, more than I usually pay for the LP!

S.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I the only person on this forum that just uses their TT like a normal person and never fiddles with it.

Perhaps, yes! I kept the same 2M cartridge on my primary turntable for four years before deciding to take a leap with a bargain-priced Hana. That created a cascade of the 2M to my second system to displace an old Shure cartridge. There’s a longer story, but I won’t go into it here. Suffice it to say I’m entering a new stage of audio obsessive disorder.

So, I once was a “normal person”, and now I’m becoming one of “those people” I only used to read about. But, it’s still better than following the news, for now.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Normal people in the 80s replaced their whole music collection with 50 CDs, us weirdos have favourite records still not available digitally, plus another list of titles that never seemed right on CD.
And LPs with stories, like saving up to buy an expensive recording of Rodrigo’s Concierto Andaluz I’d heard on my transistor radio (when that avant-garde technology was still worth mentioning commercially), or the first edition of Dark side of the Moon. I’ve got those on CD, and on the NAS, but I wouldn’t part with those LPs. Playing them on the old Dual takes me back 50 years.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Digital is undoubtedly superior for sound quality. But I find there’s nothing like going to second hand record or charity shops, digging through crates and finding something that’s such a departure from the rest of my music that no streaming service algorithm would ever have got me there. Then getting it home putting it on and finding it’s a new favourite album.

Often I’ll download the digital version (if there is one) for better quality, but unless it’s badly worn or a poor pressing I still end up playing the record more. Probably because the process is more satisfying, because my ears are biased by the smug knowledge that I found this - not some super computer that thinks it knows me - and because the LP is physical evidence of this small victory.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 4 turntables but only use one of them.
I have four. But put them in rotation, in two systems. If it were up to me, I'd have eight, in eight systems, but I have to share the house with waifu. She's tolerant, but you have to draw the line somewhere. :facepalm:

Funny thing, of those I have, I like the 1970-ish Garrard Z100 best.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I... I... do not know how many tts there are here.
Some.
Definitely some.
Yeah.
Some.
Definitely.

No comment on the Garrard "zero tracking error" arm/decks.
OK, one comment.
There was one of those here, once.
There isn't now.

;)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So far in my casual search for a cart (MM or MC) with nude-mounted, line contact sylus, the lowest-cost options that I've found so far seem to be:

Audio Technica VM540ML @ 249 USD
Audio Technica VM740ML @ 329 USD
Ortofon 2M Bronze @ 440 USD

Are there any others that I may have missed?

I was able to find some test data on the Hi-Fi World site (which loads very slowly for me)

As for test LPs, I've gotten no reply from Dr. Feickert, saw a page which indicated that the 7" version w/iOS app is no longer available, and to buy the 12" disk instead, but apparently that's not currently sold either.

levimax

Major Contributor
So far in my casual search for a cart (MM or MC) with nude-mounted, line contact sylus, the lowest-cost options that I've found so far seem to be:

I was able to find some test data on the Hi-Fi World site (which loads very slowly for me)

As for test LPs, I've gotten no reply from Dr. Feickert, saw a page which indicated that the 7" version w/iOS app is no longer available, and to buy the 12" disk instead, but apparently that's not currently sold either.

I have this test LP..... I am pretty sure it is far from perfect but I get repeatable results on same cart so think it is OK for comparing different carts https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/...imate_Analogue_Test_LP-Turntable_Set_Up_Tools

"nude line contact" is not the end all and be all..... everything has it's trade offs. On the right record, the right tone arm, set up properly, a line contact can play with less distortion and less IGD.... but with records that vary all over the place in thickness and condition and even geometry changes of the groove over the decades many people find the ability to consistency play a wide range of different records offered by a good quality conical or elliptical to be a better solution. YMMV

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have this test LP..... I am pretty sure it is far from perfect but I get repeatable results on same cart so think it is OK for comparing different carts https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/...imate_Analogue_Test_LP-Turntable_Set_Up_Tools

"nude line contact"...

Thanks, I've just placed my order for that LP.

I don't expect to be dealing with a wide variety of thicknesses: Unlikely I'll encounter Soundsheets anymore, and unless there's something really special about the way it's packaged, I don't see myself buying premium-priced vinyl if there's a good digital alternative available. So "no" to the likes of Mobile Fidelity UHQRs in 2020 unless I score them for a few bucks per.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I was able to find some test data on the Hi-Fi World site (which loads very slowly for me).

Another possible option is to take a cartridge you already have and get it re-tipped. I had a cartridge re-tipped with a nude line contact stylus and a new aluminum cantilever by Vinyl Audio Science for less than $250 US.

Top Bottom