• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ummm.. Yeah. MiniDSP. Live Sound

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see minidsp (I have 2x4 HD) mostly as a tool to allow you to rapidly try out different crossover settings and EQ, with the goal of replacing it with a dedicated opamp cross ultimately. I was at one point thinking seriously of obtaining a 2x10 dsp to enable 4 way amplification...but I don’t think that makes sense when you can implement a quieter and perfect cross with modern opamps, and avoid the complexity of multiple downstream DACs or the compromised quality of internal dsp DACs. I might change my mind if an SHD quality 2x10 became available.

but it is a wonderful tool...you can do almost anything quickly and exactly.

I do recommend that if you use the 2x4 HD...

a) Look to replace the supplied power dongle with a dedicated quiet alternate power supply.
b) Take care that any components metallically connected (amps, preamps, other device not connected via toslink optical) do not form ground loops.
c) The analog in on minidsp is not as good quality as USB or toslink in.

raindance

Major Contributor
dbx PA2. Much better than a cobbled together mini DSP REW setup for the intended application. I'd also argue that the learning curve is less steep.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The dbx units also have pro-level input and output levels, unlike the miniDSP. The miniDSP probably works OK, but would not be my choice of tool for a professional live (or studio) sound project.

Top Bottom