• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UMIK-2 and other products by MiniDSP

Webninja

Forum Donor
Saw these new items and thought I'd pass along the news. I've been happy with my UMIK-1, not sure I'd upgrade, but that multichannel UMIK-X is interesting. They also announced a car amp.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-2
"The UMIK-2 is a substantial upgrade in performance and functionality. A larger 1/2-inch microphone capsule provides lower noise and lower distortion, which is preserved by the 32-bit ADC (analog-to-digital converter) built into the microphone shell. Furthermore, sample rates are selectable from 44.1 to 192 kHz for compatibility with the widest possible range of measurement and recording software."

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-x-multichannel-mic
"Introducing the miniDSP UMIK-X, a distributed microphone array containing up to 16 microphone capsules for multichannel measurement. Four capsules are mounted onto a UMA4 microphone module, and up to four UMA4 microphone modules are daisy-chained with a single twisted-pair cable carrying the Analog Devices A2B protocol for multichannel audio transport. The chain can be up to 40 meters long so more than enough for your Home Theater! The UMA4 modules are interfaced to the computer with the included USB-A2B interface, which provides 16 channels at 24-bit/44.1 or 48 kHz. The USB-A2B is a UAC-2 compliant interface."

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd read about the multi-channel X a few days ago. Wherever it was I saw that it was mentioned a REW Pro version of software intended to work with this multi-mike approach. The Pro version will cost money.

I don't know what they have in mind, but such multi-miking with the right software opens up some possibilities quite useful. With multiple points you can get directional information.

As for Umik-2, I'm not sure it is all good. Lower noise and lower self noise is good. But 1/2 inch diaphragm is a step backwards. It will be somewhat directional at the higher frequencies instead of an omni. I'd probably spend the money on other microphones for measurement and use an audio interface. You loose automatic calibration that way.

PaulD

But 1/2 inch diaphragm is a step backwards. It will be somewhat directional at the higher frequencies instead of an omni. I'd probably spend the money on other microphones for measurement and use an audio interface. You loose automatic calibration that way.
Absolutely correct - in fact it will start polar pattern lobing an octave lower than a 1/4" capsule, and 2 octaves lower than an 1/8" capsule.
I'm rather surprised that they did not go with MEMS "capsules" as they could get far more reliable matching and performance.
I did see a few weeks ago that they were also working on an ambisonic microphone/probe for directional measurements.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/ambimik-1

Yeah, I'm sort of half a mind to try one of these for recording purposes. I assume recording is what they had in mind for these. Such a mike lets you record the signal and after the recording pick directional patterns. And the direction can be aimed not just left to right, but in any direction both horizontally and vertically. From that one recording of 3 channels you can choose as many channels as you wish. You could do surround recording from the one microphone in 5 or 7 or 9 channels if you wish.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning

win

MiniDSP continues to innovate.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Absolutely correct - in fact it will start polar pattern lobing an octave lower than a 1/4" capsule, and 2 octaves lower than an 1/8" capsule.
I'm rather surprised that they did not go with MEMS "capsules" as they could get far more reliable matching and performance.
I did see a few weeks ago that they were also working on an ambisonic microphone/probe for directional measurements.

Can you recommended USB mic?

Just stick to UMIK-1 or are there other good alternatives (that come with cal files) ?

Top Bottom