• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Umik 1 Vs umik 2

ivo.f.doma

You’ll see that most products have increased prices and quite substantially at that. CSL is no exception.
Well, that's $215 without shipping and tax for the UMIK2. This means here in Europe together with all fees up to 300 EUR.
For that kind of money, the Dayton OmniMic V2 also comes with software that allows continuous measurement, where you can see what the adjustments you make are doing to the curve. Wouldn't that be a better choice? A Is the Omnimic V2 DIRAC compatible?

Trell

Major Contributor
Well, that's $215 without shipping and tax for the UMIK2. This means here in Europe together with all fees up to 300 EUR.
For that kind of money, the Dayton OmniMic V2 also comes with software that allows continuous measurement, where you can see what the adjustments you make are doing to the curve. Wouldn't that be a better choice? A Is the Omnimic V2 DIRAC compatible?
Of all you want is to have a measurement microphone for room EQ then the much cheaper UMIK-1 will work just as well.

But prices on electronics have increased very much, even for German manufacturers of audio interfaces like RME, or the Finnish pro-audio monitor manufacturer Genelec.

staticV3

Master Contributor
For that kind of money, the Dayton OmniMic V2 also comes with software that allows continuous measurement, where you can see what the adjustments you make are doing to the curve. Wouldn't that be a better choice?
You can do that just as well with REW, so I don't see the point in paying extra for the Omnimic software.

ivo.f.doma

You can do that just as well with REW, so I don't see the point in paying extra for the Omnimic software.
I don't have one yet. Because I'm waiting for a new receiver. So for now I'm studying. Can REW display the full range curve continuously live while changing corrections?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't have one yet. Because I'm waiting for a new receiver. So for now I'm studying. Can REW display the full range curve continuously live while changing corrections?
It can continuously display the frequency response of whatever your speakers are playing.

H2O Surfer

D

Deleted member 35357

I got the Umik-2 a while back to do my first REW measurements for room correction and thought the noise floor was worse than expected but have no comparison data to check what it's supposed to be like or what comparable devices are like so left it at that but was getting some problems with power mains 50hz in all measurements with multiples showing.

I was wondering would a device like Topping HS01 or HS02 fix it if it's a ground loop/dirty power issue with bad PC power as it's USB powered showing through the measurements.

ivo.f.doma

Do you know if there are any problems with ASIO drivers at the moment? And which driver are you using for W10/11 to measure the AVR reliably?

poxymoron

Hi. I've lost the wind filter for my Umik-1. I know I don't really need it, unless I'm doing moving mic measurments, but I need to use the microphone for work to do some preliminary noise measurements from a site adjacent to an airport for a possible residential development. Our client would like to have an idea of how noisy it is before he considers purchasing the site. Has anybody replaced the wind filter on their Umik? If so, where did you get the replacement? Or failing that, if anybody has their Umik to hand could they measure the diameter of the mic or the internal diameter of the wind filter please. I'm in work and would like to source the filter online and order it today. Thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@poxymoron the front of the UMIK-1 has a diameter of 12mm.

However, the UMIK-1's high self-noise makes it a particularly bad choice for noise measurements.

Even if your environment is completely silent, the UMIK-1 will still measure about 45dB(Z) SPL.

poxymoron

@poxymoron the front of the UMIK-1 has a diameter of 12mm.

However, the UMIK-1's high self-noise makes it a particularly bad choice for noise measurements.

Even if your environment is completely silent, the UMIK-1 will still measure about 45dB(Z) SPL.
Okay, thanks for that.
I'll calibrate the sound analyzer apps on my phone using my Umik-1 and use the phone on a calm day. Not sure if this would be any more reliable than the Umik on site but my client won't take no for an answer even though I've explained that the measurments should be used cautiously.
Thanks for the response guys.

No. 5

I'll calibrate the sound analyzer apps on my phone using my Umik-1 and use the phone on a calm day. Not sure if this would be any more reliable than the Umik on site...
Personally, I'd use the UMIK-1 for what you are trying to do because if the site in question is close enough to warrant an SPL measurement, the ambient noise is probably above 50dB, at which point, the UMIK's self noise would only cause an error of less than 1dB. And in addition to that, smart devices are historically very untrustworthy for measuring SPL with some studies showing over 20dB inaccuracies even after calibration.

You might need to put in some time to get reliable data. The pros use special outdoor mics and recorders to get a good picture of the noise is like over time.

poxymoron

Personally, I'd use the UMIK-1 for what you are trying to do because if the site in question is close enough to warrant an SPL measurement, the ambient noise is probably above 50dB, at which point, the UMIK's self noise would only cause an error of less than 1dB. And in addition to that, smart devices are historically very untrustworthy for measuring SPL with some studies showing over 20dB inaccuracies even after calibration.

You might need to put in some time to get reliable data. The pros use special outdoor mics and recorders to get a good picture of the noise is like over time.
Thanks. I'll be winging it really, using a few different apps and my Umik-1 on the laptop. I've explained to the client this is indicative only and subject to an expert study which will be carried out in the coming weeks. A chance to get out of the office though.

Top Bottom