• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Umik 1 Vs umik 2

ivo.f.doma

So does cross-spectrum UMIK-1 have any disadvantage compared to ordinary UMIK-1? It will only be used on DIRAC (perhaps REW) with the new Pioneer or Marantz receiver.

Last edited:

ivo.f.doma

I have one more question. I read somewhere that the UMIK1 cross-spectrum cannot be used as an acoustic sound level meter. Whereas the regular UMIK1 does. There is some truth to that.

ivo.f.doma

Well then. How do I measure sound pressure with UMIK1 with AVR/Dirac? Without a sound level meter, of course.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Well then. How do I measure sound pressure with UMIK1 with AVR/Dirac? Without a sound level meter, of course.
Doesn't seem like there's an SPL meter function built into Dirac.
In their Umik-1+ Dirac guide, they only talk about relative levels:

ivo.f.doma

OK. I just have a dilemma. Some here on the forum claim that UMIK1 is batch calibrated and Cross spectrum individually. Others claim that both are individually calibrated. So I don't know what is true. The difference is about €30...

staticV3

Master Contributor
@ivo.f.doma Factory calibration vs CSL calibration:
miniDSP_UMIK-1_Calibration_Comparison-4x_foolhardy_Remacri-1 (1).png
Keep in mind the sample size of 1.

ivo.f.doma

Thank you for the information. What does this mean for me? I'm waiting for a new AVR, preferably a Pioneer 705/905, and I want to buy a good calibration microphone for the Dirac PC application.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I guess the difference is Umik 2 is high res, so more expensiv.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I am a total beginner, so yeah.
Both products will be sold in parallel, I asked.

Delrin

I have a USB-C umik-1 and it's great for measuring room acoustics, where the frequency sweeps etc can be played at a loud level. I am sure it's more than adequate in that regard.

That being said, for the price difference it could be worth paying more for the lower noise floor of the umik-2. I also use my measurement mics for assessment of low level background noise, and found the noise floor of the umik-1 to be a limiting factor. I have never tried the umik-2, but minidsp seems to have nailed the space for economical measurement mics that perform well.

I ended up using a uPrecisionMic from Studio Six Digital, which is a lot more expensive but has a very low noise floor and a ruler flat frequency response with good omnidirectionality. It's also a USB mic with built-in pre-amp & ADC (like the umiks). With this mic, very low level sounds can be recorded and played back with negligible noise. The umik-1 is much noisier in this kind of application. I'm not suggesting you get a uPrecisionMic, but it's an example of a use case where the umik-1 might be limiting.

The Studio Six Digital measurement mics (they have a couple) also have analog output jacks, which can be convenient for running audio i/o from a smartphone etc (but for value, and if you don't need this, the umik-1 can't be beat). If you'll only be doing room frequency sweeps, and budget is an issue, the umik-1 is great. As is noted above, the smaller umik-1 capsule gives better omnidirectionality than umik-2.

Sorry for going on about the Studio Six Digital stuff - I have no affiliation, but like their hardware and software. It's way overkill for room measurements. I have this stuff and still use the umik-1 for room measurements.

Last edited:

Jarod

CSL increased the price of Umik-2 from $200 to $215. That's not good.

Trell

Major Contributor
CSL increased the price of Umik-2 from $200 to $215. That's not good.
You’ll see that most products have increased prices and quite substantially at that. CSL is no exception.

Top Bottom