• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UltraLite-mk5 vs babyface which one would be better

songbird22

Hello, this is my first post.

It's no different, I'm thinking about an audio interface that costs 1 million won this time.

I am debating between rme baby face pro and motu UltraLite-mk5.

The stability of rme is famous all over the world, but there are many stories that the hardware is an old specification, and I know that it is lagging behind motu in sound quality.

In the case of motu, it has a very good price/performance ratio, but
I know that sometimes there are stability issues or problems with portability.

If I buy it, I want to choose either a used baby face pro product or an ultralite-mk5.

I still have no choice

Which product is better

dlundqvist

They are quite different, and suit different needs. What would you use the interface for? What kind I/O do you need? Do you need 192KHz over ADAT? Etc.

emrysizko

Get the RME BF Pro. If you need more I/O you can run a ADAT expander which allows you to process the inputs and outputs with RME DSP and route it anywhere.

Originally had the MOTU Ultralite MK3 (w/firewire) and it was great. The Cuemix software for it was really powerful that had 7 band EQ including low and hi cut, compressor/limiter, stereo width, Reverb, and delay for every channel in and out. It also had a Spectrum Analyzer, Waterfall Spectrograph, Tuner, Phase Meter and, Waveform Analyzer and some other stuff I cant remember and it was bus powered via Firewire. I would plug in my MBP's power and then the firwire to the MK3 and that's all you needed and you could completely operate it from the front panel.

The MK5 sounds fine but the new Cuemix software and Ultralite5 is underpowered garbage with only compressors on input channels 1-2 and only ****** 3 band EQ's for all channels. There are no db readouts on any of the channels or any real metering on the device at all and you can't manually type in exact values for level. The cuemix software is overly large which you have to constantly scroll left and right to see all inputs/outputs and looks like a toy for a 4 year old. There's a bunch of other stuff that is underdeveloped and I hate it so much.

I would have kept it, but lost FW compatibility when I upgraded my MBP so I ended up getting a RME Fireface UFX and it's amazing. You can route any signal to any output or subgroups, save mix-routing presets, eq, compression, reverb, per channel, and analyzing tools that worked pretty damn good. Their drivers are rock solid and they update them frequently.

Motu's support is also terrible also as they've never replied to any emails.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
As far as I know, MOTU is known for legacy support.

Top Bottom