• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultra-low frequency Rotary Subwoofer

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is this? Ultra-low frequency Rotary Subwoofer

I've never heard of. Seems exciting. Anyone know anything more about it? Is it possible to get it for Hifi? Or? I have no idea.:)
So for frequencies in if the audible range above 19 Hz? But how to solve it? What would you gain from that? That engine was not completely noise-free either.

Late, but better late than never: here is the spectrogram of the youtube video:
Ultra-low frequency Rotary Subwoofer - Testing with oscilloscope [pe57fIgJgNI].m4a.png

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks ! Yes custom, DIY. A B&C dcx464 coax compression driver, four 4" mids, two 12" lows, and two 18" woofers.
The woofers are either another pair or 18n862's or what I currently have in place, Dayton 18SW1200N's.

So four 18"s per speaker ! (and I still don't claim to have much response below 20Hz....like all the miracle home audio speakers do Lol)

Crossover points in the white horn are 100, 350, 750. and 4000Hz. Its 18"s high pass at 30-60 Hz (selectable via presets).
The big black sub low is f-3 @25Hz, f-12 @20Hz and low passes at 50-90 Hz (via presets)
Hell. That was was an extreme solution AND I like what I see. :D

I'll bet a month's salary that you don't live in an apartment building with neighbors.;)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
This! I got the same answer from the Genelec support in 2006 when I asked them why the Genelec 7060b has only 150W amp power where typical hifi subs hat 500W or more. The smaller the volume the more power you need to get the same SPL, and as another downside distortion rises when you do this.
And a closed vs ported sub where the latter requires less power. I sold the small sealed SVS SB12-NSD subwoofer I mentioned in #34 to a friend. I warned him of its limitations but he bought it anyway....

He now has that SVS SB12-NSD out for sale. Note that the SVS SB12-NSD does have limitations but if you can live with them, it's a fine subwoofer.:)

gnarly

Major Contributor
Hell. That was was an extreme solution AND I like what I see. :D

I'll bet a month's salary that you don't live in an apartment building with neighbors.;)

Thanks man ! And yep, pretty safe bet :)

You know, I realize folks can't help but look at a huge speaker setup like that and see nothing but SPL.
And think what the heck.....who can even use a speaker like that.

SPL is not what that rig is about....it is my attempt at the highest sound quality i think i can achieve.
Yes, High linear SPL, ......completely uncompressed, unclipped, undistorted for both average and peaks...... across the spectrum and down to the very bottom....... IS a part of the formula.

But believe it or not, it's a quite delicate sounding speaker, with clarity and a tonal vibrancy I think is best I've heard to date....
A lot of work went into trying to achieve a point source like behaviour with low intermodulation potential, and excellent transient response.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks man ! And yep, pretty safe bet :)

You know, I realize folks can't help but look at a huge speaker setup like that and see nothing but SPL.
And think what the heck.....who can even use a speaker like that.

SPL is not what that rig is about....it is my attempt at the highest sound quality i think i can achieve.
Yes, High linear SPL, ......completely uncompressed, unclipped, undistorted for both average and peaks...... across the spectrum and down to the very bottom....... IS a part of the formula.

But believe it or not, it's a quite delicate sounding speaker, with clarity and a tonal vibrancy I think is best I've heard to date....
A lot of work went into trying to achieve a point source like behaviour with low intermodulation potential, and excellent transient response.
Let's say a Ferrari would be nice to drive slowly. But man, for me it would have been hard as hell not to press the gas pedal.:D

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Four dual opposed BMS 18N862 subwoofers one for each corner of the room would be sota.

Cmon people that's only like 5k usd in drivers!

Ciobi69

Four dual opposed BMS 18N862 subwoofers one for each corner of the room would be sota.

Cmon people that's only like 5k usd in drivers!
You could only need 1 subwoofer of this caliber with a good room ( nulls) i got 2 of them not dual opposed but they have no limits

Top Bottom