• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultra high end speaker manufacturers that rely heavily on measurements?

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought Dynaudio EVIDENCE Master was a SOTA speaker when introduced.
Not sure how big is Dynaudion on measurements but I'm sure they put everything they knew into those speakers at that time.
I was fortunate enough to audition those speakers at a Hi-End dealer (forgot the name but the location was Tarazana CA) in a large room powered by Krell monoblock amplifiers.
I was impressed!
They do have the giant aircraft hanger of a measurement room :D

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume you mean ultra high end, boutique manufacturers, more Vivid/Magico than Revel etc.

Definitely Pioneer's TAD.

Modern Sonus Faber seems to be quite engineering-driven. Gradient from Finland is as well.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Never heard of any of these companies. I am wondering, wouldn't it be marketing wise for all these companies that rely on measurements to send some of their speakers to Amir for testing (bookshelf ones at least). I understand if they don't want to engage with ASR on a official capacity, but they can pose as a member sending them. Even if they sell only in Europe, the majority of the members here are European (if I am not mistaken).
Yes it would be great to get more of these speakers here.

Like in many companies some products in the lower price range might even be not that good. None of the less the flagship speaker are very well engineered.

Some of these activ very good speakers are so expansive and advanced that potential costumers are most likely not in this community here. Often a technician or sometimes even the lead designer helps to place the speaker well in the room of the costumer and some measurements and calibration is done. It is more like buying an expansive car or kitchen.

In this price range it is also risky to give a speaker to such a review here. If the spinorama is good everyone things it has to be good because of its price. If it didn't get the highest preference score despite of being a phenomenal speaker like the JBL M2 some might skip this speaker and don't giving it a listen where it would impress...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, KEF is a marvel in the industry. They tried so hard to get a grip on to the original problems stated by consumer (!) speakers. But, the recent LS50, in all its variants doesn' t deliver as much clean sound power as is needed for enjoyable listening. It is purely academic, a show-piece. Very much as the (in)famous LS3/5. Good taken on its own, but not applicable for a room above 10 square meters, just detecting a fault in microphone positioning ...
The title of the thread is "Ultra high end speaker" but your example is the entry range. How about the Blade series?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it would be great to get more of these speakers here.
Maybe we should take up a fund to get @amirm a mobile 'GeekGuys' kind of an operation so that he can travel the country side and test/review equipment that do not readily lend themselves to shipment.:facepalm:

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bang & Olufson provides state of the art engineering especially the beolap 90 is more advanced than almost any other speaker and of cause measures well.

Some interesting companies which aren't often mentioned here but none of the less have a great engineering team:

Cabasse with La Spere

KS Digital
Backes & Müller

Avantgarde Acoustic

ME Geithain

GedLee

Lyravox

GGNTKT

Bohne Audio

Kling & Freitag even if it is PA it is worth to have a look e.g. the Vida with beam steering

There are many other companies which have really great products and engineering with higher costs.
You forgot Burmester Audiosysteme GmbH. ;):)

fineMen

Major Contributor
The title of the thread is "Ultra high end speaker" but your example is the entry range. How about the Blade series?
Please read my post https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ly-heavily-on-measurements.34357/post-1200114.

Question is, what "ultra" is meant to be. Another, what reliance on measurement would mean.

Teaser from my previous post: KEF is for now, together with Genelec the only company to offer a convincing coax-design, IMHO. They have an overt legacy of failed attempts also (e/g BBC's two-way paradigm). IMHO KEF is a high-end manufacturer, maybe even "ultra" in this respect. Their changing working model, the thinking about a speaker in-room, the theory or the lack of it, addressing the interactive listener etc., is a good example. It tells that the "measurement" part is not the least self explanatory. Good masurements, invalid operation model => fail.

So the challange for an "ultra ...manufacurer ..measurments" may be a bit ill posed. A rectification, or clarification wasn't offered yet.

But, who cares anyway. We want a high score speaker cost no object, but with chic. Go ahead ...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe Andy Jones designed the Cr1,

These designs just predate the use of waveguides, just uneven tweeter response,

?

These are classic concentric drivers, which use the midrange as tweeter waveguide.

As for treble unevenness, not really except for the on axis cancellation notch from a round waveguide. The smaller one has less because the midrange is smaller. These are speakers Stereophile’s normalized off axis measurements make look much worse than they are. Note also how wide a pattern Jones compared to other concentric drivers.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does MartinLogan rely heavily on measurements for their dedication to improving Electrostatic panels?
I have their new-ish version in my bucket-list to audition in a perfectly matched acoustic environment.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heard of any of these companies. I am wondering, wouldn't it be marketing wise for all these companies that rely on measurements to send some of their speakers to Amir for testing (bookshelf ones at least).
I doubt if they need marketing to ASR members. As good as some of their devices they are firmly a lifestyle brand.

They are big in car audio as well.

Richard Berg

Martin Audio. Alcons Audio.

A common feature with brands like these is that they won't sell you the $$$ speakers unless you also buy their $$$$$ electronics.

fineMen

Major Contributor
The question "Ultra high end speaker manufacturers that rely heavily on measurements" is not what you are asking on your post above.
I'm often told that my English does not suffice (here). But, with Your post, me thinks it is more the differing foundations of understanding things.

The original question is full of buzz-words and generalities. You may feel what it means, I only suspect what it is after.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Never heard of Martin Audio do you mean Marten the Swedish speaker maker? If you do they don't make amps.

tuga

Major Contributor
have heard them and thought they were amazing. In fact before joining ASR they were my dream speaker. Iirc Amir thought they had a way too small listening spot, which they do, because that's the whole purpose of their beam width technology.
Amir’s preference for wider directivity and reflective listening room walls is just that, his preference. Not a standard, nor Science.

Geert

Major Contributor
Kii (Three) and Dutch & Dutch not high end enough? And Focal uses a Klippel Analyser for driver development, so I can't imagine they just throw some drivers togheter to build a speaker.

Personally I would rather ask the question which brands don't rely on measurement for their high end designs. Wouldn't be surprised lots of them don't mention it to not throw off the type of audiophiles which believe people who measure don't listen.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heard of Martin Audio do you mean Marten the Swedish speaker maker? If you do they don't make amps.
Martin Audio is one the biggest names on the PA world. They live with measurements!

Top Bottom