• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultra high end speaker manufacturers that rely heavily on measurements?

Tks

Major Contributor
Not sure what ultra high end is (unless you're talking those seven figure speakers), but to me Revel/Genelec are at the limit of what I would even care about price wise yet still do measurement heavy designs.

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose I should have clarified what I meant by uber high end, but I don't think I had really nailed that down in my own mind before writing the post. I think there are a ton of good science based speaker manufacturers making gear in the 10-25k range. Poor price/performance? Sure, but I would still bet that the correlation between increasing price and increasing listener preference is mostly positive in that range.

I guess I was thinking more like 50k+. In my mind, that's where it starts to become a pretty big gamble, where there's a pretty good chance you end up with a straight up bad speaker. I wouldn't be surprised if there were little to no correlation between price and preference in that range, or even a negative one(relative to say a good $30,000) speaker.

I guess I could add KEF(Muon) and JBL(Everest), but even then, are those speakers even better than say the Blade1 Meta or M2(outside of bass and spl)?

But, no harm in mentioning speakers that you personally consider uber high end.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose I should have clarified what I meant by uber high end, but I don't think I had really nailed that down in my own mind before writing the post. I think there are a ton of good science based speaker manufacturers making gear in the 10-25k range. Poor price/performance? Sure, but I would still bet that the correlation between increasing price and increasing listener preference is mostly positive in that range.

I guess I was thinking more like 50k+. In my mind, that's where it starts to become a pretty big gamble, where there's a pretty good chance you end up with a straight up bad speaker. I wouldn't be surprised if there were little to no correlation between price and preference in that range, or even a negative one(relative to say a good $30,000) speaker.

I guess I could add KEF(Muon) and JBL(Everest), but even then, are those speakers even better than say the Blade1 Meta or M2(outside of bass and spl)?

But, no harm in mentioning speakers that you personally consider uber high end.
Well highly expensive can be (and unfortunately often is) a marketing trick which preys on the notion (unconscious bias) that more expensive must be better (often without any replicable objective proof).

So unless one finds some hard facts on the speakers you mentioned it will be difficult to answer your question and the thread will turn into a stream of subjective opinions as so many others.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

storing

Forum Donor
B&O? They might measure their designs, but they seem to keep losing the results and then just proceed without …
Well put, might be ultra high price and shine factor, but doesn't quite translate to good measurements.

storing

Forum Donor
Please correct me if I'm wrong but Beolab 90's measurements is not bad if I remember right.
After DSP you mean? But anyway: yeah you're right, I should not have generalized.

Sokel

Master Contributor
After DSP you mean? But anyway: yeah you're right, I should not have generalized.
I wasn't sure myself,it's been a while since I was reading about them and as I can recall they are super flexible because of the DSP and tons of power.

gnarly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What ultra high end manufacturers out there rely heavily on measurements and produce products that measure really well?
If prosound manufacturers may be included, Meyersound would be a good example in the US. Totally science/measurement based, and priced/designed for the premium market.
Fulcrum Acoustics, EAW, and DSL are other well known US examples. Plenty outside US, too.

I honestly don't look to the home audio market anymore, for learning audio science and measurements. Home audio seems utterly primitive compared to proaudio.
By proaudio, I mean install, theater, and live touring.
Studio appears to be a cross between pro and home...sometimes i find good science there too, but most often with an increased marketing slant.

AwesomeSauce2015

If prosound manufacturers may be included, Meyersound would be a good example in the US. Totally science/measurement based, and priced/designed for the premium market.
Fulcrum Acoustics, EAW, and DSL are other well known US examples. Plenty outside US, too.
I have to agree. If you want an "ultra-high-end" speaker with actual performance to back up the price, you are basically looking at the big prosound companies.
Meyer's big studio system looks pretty impressive, and Danley's synergy horns have been used in (large) home theater builds. Danley also has their hyperion, which I am sure classifies as ultra-high end considering I can't find the price anywhere... not that I could afford it lol.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Sure but perhaps there's a way to have the DSP not apply any corrections?
That makes no sense. The integration of the drivers and the crossover are all implemented in DSP. What do you want to leave out? Room correction? If so, just don't do it but there will still be internal "corrections" of the drivers. ;)

Top Bottom