• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultra high end speaker manufacturers that rely heavily on measurements?

mwmkravchenko

Why add the additional engineering tasks of "active" to a speaker... especially knowing that it would alienate those who like magic in their cables?
[Even with the argument that the 'passive' parts of a cross-over network can be achieved via the built-in "active" part.]
An intelligent question. I'll try yo give you an answer.

Best.

Best means not opinion of what a person tells you is best. But what you can demonstrate as being best.

So lets look at a few simple things.

In a real blind listening test a given two amplifiers with similar power ratings and similar distortion will not be discernible from each other.

Not new. Also not saying that there are no poorly designed amplifiers out there. There are. But I'm referring to competent designs.

An amplifier per section of frequency division is a great way to assign amplifier power and headroom capability. Ideally you have amplification that can reach, and exceed your design goals of getting 105db at the listening position on peaks as stated in my beginning goals post.

That's a number very few of the mentioned loudspeakers in this thread can even attain anywhere in the musical spectrum.

So why amplifier per bass, midrange, and treble? Simply because you have eliminated inter-modulation at one of it's sources. Power supply modulation as well.

Best is the goal. not the status quo.

Second. It is true that you can mimic any crossover reduction slope in either passive or active. This is possible. You can even contour your frequency response. But you cannot add gain. You cannot add, you must always reduce in your attempts to compensate the response when you are using passive components. Reduction is the key, you loose efficiency. And you will hear this when you are comparing a highly efficient loudspeaker system next to a low efficiency loudspeaker system.

Third. Power where needed with the headroom required. A truly well engineered system does this. You have people that design and research what is required. Not leaving these kinds of decisions to people with little to no understanding of what it takes to achieve the best outcome for a complex loudspeaker. It is like taking your Ferarri to a tractor repair garage and thinking that with no problems whatsoever they will be able to make adjustments and repairs to your sports car. Yes they are mechanics. But do they understand what and how your Ferrari works when they work on John Deeres and Internationals? Hardly. The audio press has set itself up as the clergy of audio. Listen to us. We have the answers. Just like the church of old they have vested interests. And they want to keep things the way they are. Asking questions simply rocks the boat. ANd we don't want that do we?

Yes, I mean that reviewers do not necessarily know what is best. They have an agenda. selling you more reviews. As do the mix and match amplifier and magic cable people.

A best system is exactly that. A system. Not everything that has been done for decades in audio is best.

A simple point. Loudspeaker motors. The best design borne out by many research papers, and known for decades is the underhung voice coil motor. It means that the magnetized portion of the motor, the top plate is taller than the height of the voice coil. It's advantages start with lower distortion and wider usable bandwidth generally speaking. It's downside? Expensive to make.

Never heard of them? I wonder why? ( Expensive to make remember ) I have taken systems that I designed for clients and designed them underhung equivalents. They never go back to a conventional motor. The difference is noticeable. It's literally a clarity or removing of a veil between you and the music. And that is the types of distortion that are inherent in the way a tall coil short magnetic gap motor works. Something you only notice in it's absence. But, once it's gone. It is very noticeable.

Also has zero to do with cables or amplifier changes.

I'll add.

I have great admiration for competent cable design, good amplifier and preamplifier design of Class A, A/B, B G and Switching amplifiers. They all can sound very good if they are designed to the state of the current art.

I'll give you that there are really poorly designed cables. Ones that have excessive impedance or capacitance. But funny enough they are not the cheap ones that exhibit these characteristics. I value a good solid male and female connector. Not bashing everything thing. Just hoping for reason and moderation in design and spending choices.

So what should such a monster of an loudspeaker all powered and ready for flight cost?

Reasonably about $60k, if you totally trick out the cabinetry in exotic veneers and finishes add another $20k. Factory direct that would pay the B.O.M. and the R&D in small runs and modest sales. And you could honestly say you are producing state of the art bleeding edge loudspeakers.

If you are still wondering. Passive versus active.

How many studios are running passive monitors?

And why do they run active monitors?

And why are the majority of those monitors at least from the midbass on up highly efficient systems?

Mark

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And why are the majority of those monitors at least from the midbass on up highly efficient systems?
Can you a few examples of high efficiency monitors that are currently used at studios?

mwmkravchenko

Can you a few examples of high efficiency monitors that are currently used at studios?
If I take on face value that you are selling a monitor, have you not done any homework?

Of all the people in this thread to ask this question you should have been exempt.

PMC, JBL, GENELEC those come off the top of my head quickly.

What you sell is definitely not high efficiency. Nor does it chase the design goals I mention. It is decidedly a near field monitor. Could probably crack 96db at one meter above 400 hertz if I remember those drivers correctly. Not criticism. I recognize your market application. Just a simple napkin calculation.

If you consider what I have been typing. Almost all the mentioned loudspeakers in this thread fail. Even the ones claimed as cost is not a limiting factor still cannot serve the recorded range and dynamics of available recordings. And yet, the audiophile public, people in this forum, and on this thread are led to believe by the audio press that this is the case. These super expensive loudspeakers do it all.

You could argue that subwoofers are there for the low end. Ok. Next question.

Show me an audiophile subwoofer that can move 5 litres of air per channel.

I have designed quite a few subwoofer drivers. And done my home work. I can answer that question. There are none. Zero.

Play around with this for a while. And figure out the piston diameter of the drivers that you think are capable for midrange and bass reproduction. Then look up their specs and input their X-max. Remember that an overhung motor, the most common loudspeaker motor type quickly looses motor force past X-max. More power doesn't mean a greater sound pressure level. It means that the less than 1% efficient loudspeaker motor heats up more. The passive crossovers fail to act as designed because the impedance of the drivers is now all over the map due to heating effects. Your crossover is designed to divide the frequency response of your loudspeaker at a low temperature. Not at the temperature of extended listening at concert levels.

Think it through. If your 90db/watt at one meter driver is less than one percent efficient, what happens to all the power that you are sending it? You have a space heater. Literally. 100 watts in, 99 watts of heat. Happily music has a fairly low duty cycle and the true average power used is generally under 3 watts for even moderately loud reproduction. But, those 3 watts do change the electrical characteristics of your loudspeakers and therefore the crossover slopes, and attendant passive contour networks.

For those that think passive crossover are good. They fail to act as they are designed fairly quickly unless the designer knows what I have just written. The simulation programs do not take this into account. Simulation programs be it for magnetics, or electrical design are simple products of mathematical and electrical engineering in an marriage. Like any real marriage, garbage in, garbage out. I recently had to help a well respected company understand that their $100,000 plus COMSOL software package was not giving them what the real world design would reap. It takes real hands on experience to know what can and will work versus what you think will work because your computer screen tells you so.

If you design for a warmed up loudspeaker, for the initial hour or so they will sound strange. So what is a competent engineer to do? Active!

Active dividing and equalization networks are much more agnostic when it comes to the output of the loudspeaker. Because with a properly tailored amplifier sourced and chosen to meet the design requirements you have a power source that can keep up with the increase in impedance. That now warmer loudspeaker motor has changed it's basic electrical characteristics, and the carefully chosen amplifier will have the required current and voltage headroom to meet your design goals.

Mark

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@mwmkravchenko
IFF I am reading between your lines correctly (and not necessarily having received any convincing answers to my question) what you are saying is that a passive x-over is 'bad' because of (passive R/L/C variances due to) temperature increases, probably due to close proximity to the 'motors' that are confined within a restricted volume.
But then, I hear you also say that since the 'pros' use active studio monitors, stuffing an amp (the 'most perfect one' as you denote) inside that same confined space presents no such temperature problems (re: passive R/L/C x-over)... even if you up the efficiency of such active amps to 80% (from your "1%"?)... and even if IMD is a constant in near-perfect OEM amp offerings on the market.
Herewith, another reason (or an answer why/what pros use) for off-sourcing the amp away from the cabinet and motors.
Why add the additional engineering tasks of "active" to a speaker... especially knowing that it would alienate those who like magic in their cables?
[Even with the argument that the 'passive' parts of a cross-over network can be achieved via the built-in "active" part.]
Cheers

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone that checks my posting history will see I have stated ad nauseum that my firm belief is that active speakers are the only possible outcome of what we call hifi. I dont't expect the differences to be huge compared to well-matched components, however they are simplifying the delivery of sound a lot. Perhaps not to those who still believe humongous towers and 400W dedicated power amps etc are the audio nirvana to deliver 130dB of kickass SPL sh*t after they just were rethawed - having been trapped-frozen in a glacier for 30 years, but hey. I'd recommend cutting off the mullet and accept refinement. :-D
Personally - my only move upward from where I am is something like a 2nd gen LS60 (please in red and don't integrate streaming apps, just keep them active speakers without gimmicks) or something like the Kii. Honestly the rest need not apply for my upgrade path unless they follow a similar approach.

Last edited:

mwmkravchenko

@mwmkravchenko
IFF I am reading between your lines correctly (and not necessarily having received any convincing answers to my question) what you are saying is that a passive x-over is 'bad' because of (passive R/L/C variances due to) temperature increases, probably due to close proximity to the 'motors' that are confined within a restricted volume.
But then, I hear you also say that since the 'pros' use active studio monitors, stuffing an amp (the 'most perfect one' as you denote) inside that same confined space presents no such temperature problems (re: passive R/L/C x-over)... even if you up the efficiency of such active amps to 80% (from your "1%"?)... and even if IMD is a constant in near-perfect OEM amp offerings on the market.
Herewith, another reason (or an answer why/what pros use) for off-sourcing the amp away from the cabinet and motors.

Cheers
Ok. I'll try one more time.

I'm personally not a fan of keeping amplifiers in cabinets by the way. Many years back I repair equipment. And having a nice electronics enclosure to work on in a big plus. Also have a loudspeaker enclosure that doesn't leak air is also a big plus.

Fundamentally a loudspeaker is a mass, the cone , the voice coil, the former and portions of the soft parts. The damper and the surround.

Those are the mechanical parts. The surround does warm up a bit from use, as does the damper. But not in multiple degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.

Those parameters are the physical ones. Qms describes the losses in the spring of the damper and the surround. Mms is the mass of the complete moving system. Cms describes the springiness of the damper.

Fine. Why does this mater? Well these are the relatively steady parameters.

When you design a crossover you work with the electrical side as well. The Dcr or resistance to voltage through the voice coil measured in Direct Current and it's equivalent Alternating Current cousin Impedance. So DcR and Impedance.

They measure the value of the resistance to electrical flow through the wire in the voice coil. There is also inductance but that like the mechanical parameters is stable.

So when you measure for your Thiele Small parameters, or your SPL values to create your crossover you are using flea power to do so. You are generally not warming up the driver to do this.

Resistance is Futile?

Remember the efficiency discussion? What is it in a loudspeaker that heats up? The voice coil. Not the amplifiers. You literally have a coil of wire that is part of the motor in a loudspeaker that acts like an electrical stove element. It heats up! Substantially. Not one or two degrees 100 degrees and even more.It is a physical property of trying to send electricity through a wire that has a resistance to the electricity that is being fed into it. It heats up. The coil of wire that is used to move your woofer cone or midrange cone, or tweeter cone. They all heat up. Again 99% of the power sent from an amplifier (that amplifier could be 100 feet away, the amplifier itself is not contributing any heat to the loudspeaker) is getting turned into heat because of the resistance in the wire that the amplifier is connected to. In this image stolen from Wikipedia the voice coil is number 2.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 23-50-16 Loudspeaker - Wikipedia.png

What happens to the wire in the voice coil as it heats up? It's impedance increases and we are really only interested in Impedance because your amplifier is sending the loudspeakers an Alternating voltage signal. So your impedance is now getting higher and higher as it warms up. Your crossover is also connected to this same voice coil wire. And the values of Capacitors and inductors and resisters in the crossover are carefully chosen to divide the woofers output from the other drivers. THese passive componests, the inductors, the capacitors and the resitors are chosen to work properly at a particular measured value of impedance. Generally not the full pin loud as you please value.

Do the knowledgeable design guys know this. Yes. The computer simulation guys generally don't think about this.

Even if you design for this heated voice coil impedance and the inherent changes in the crossover points you run into this next problem. The designer has to choose what point is hot enough to reflect your use of your loudspeakers. How would I know?

Maybe you are playing at elevator music levels and happy. Wrong crossover points. The system will never be what is intended.

Maybe you are balls to the walls heavy metal. Toasting the voice coils and the impedance nearly doubles. Again not hitting the crossover design points.

I started this discussion with Best. And State Of the Art.

When you use an active system those variations that occur because of the shifting impedance are largely gone. At any listening level you have the tonal design that you have. Whisper to roar. A competently designed amplifier can still provide the power required in a higher impedance loudspeaker. And the electronic crossover and EQ will not change one bit under any operating condition.

Passive crossovers are not state of the art. They are a bandaid. Something that works, but never optimally.

And yes you will tell me that all your speakers are passive.

And I will counter with the simple facts that you are content with less than the best if that is your choice.

Best is active and has been the best for decades.

Mark

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Show me an audiophile subwoofer that can move 5 litres of air per channel.

I have designed quite a few subwoofer drivers. And done my home work. I can answer that question. There are none. Zero.
was skimming and noticed this and just couldn't resist. Must poke the bear. Pretty sure Ascendo's new 80" (!!!) infrasonic sub with +/-35 mm of excursion (yes, 70 total!) and 2x5000 watts of power could be considered an audiophile subwoofer that moves more than 5 liters of air. In fact, their spec claims 172 liters so I guess if your room isn't big enough just buy their 50" sub... ;)

mwmkravchenko

was skimming and noticed this and just couldn't resist. Must poke the bear. Pretty sure Ascendo's new 80" (!!!) infrasonic sub with +/-35 mm of excursion (yes, 70 total!) and 2x5000 watts of power could be considered an audiophile subwoofer that moves more than 5 liters of air. In fact, their spec claims 172 liters so I guess if your room isn't big enough just buy their 50" sub... ;)

Have you heard this thing in action? So far I'm not so impressed. Cost to performance ratio is insane. You could do distributed subwoofers in a room and equal this at a quarter of it's cost. But I do get the wow factor.

Poke.

Mark

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Weight 80" Woofer: 573 lbs | 260 kg
:)

cavedriver

Have you heard this thing in action? So far I'm not so impressed. Cost to performance ratio is insane. You could do distributed subwoofers in a room and equal this at a quarter of it's cost. But I do get the wow factor.

Poke.

Mark
I haven't checked on what they want for the 50 and 80 but even their 21" is $10k, so yes, not very cost effective. But have you heard their 50 or 80? Really they are meant for infrasonic, with the 80" claiming 114 dB at 5 Hz. I can only imagine the quantity of 15" subs you would need to get to that output level at that frequency. What movies are even available with content stored and retrievable at that low a frequency? Also, Ascendo markets these for high end home theater but we're talking ultra-high end here with system costs over $1 million. I doubt people spending that much on a home theater care if it would have been a little cheaper to use 100 15" subs Btw, Ascendo claims their standard 21" sub moves 1.76 liters of air, so yeah, it would take roughly 100 of their 21" subs to move the same amount of air. Hard to imagine what that would be like to listen to.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Anyone that checks my posting history will see I have stated ad nauseum that my firm belief is that active speakers are the only possible outcome of what we call hifi. I dont't expect the differences to be huge compared to well-matched components, however they are simplifying the delivery of sound a lot. Perhaps not to those who still believe humongous towers and 400W dedicated power amps etc are the audio nirvana to deliver 130dB of kickass SPL sh*t after they just were rethawed - having been trapped-frozen in a glacier for 30 years, but hey. I'd recommend cutting off the mullet and accept refinement. :-D
Personally - my only move upward from where I am is something like a 2nd gen LS60 (please in red and don't integrate streaming apps, just keep them active speakers without gimmicks) or something like the Kii. Honestly the rest need not apply for my upgrade path unless they follow a similar approach.
You wouldn't be dissapointed with Genelec or Siegberg either, I think.

Not that I see fault on your reasoning. I currently use the LS50 WII and the only things I miss is multichannel capabilities and room correction.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I take on face value that you are selling a monitor, have you not done any homework?

Of all the people in this thread to ask this question you should have been exempt.

What you sell is definitely not high efficiency. Nor does it chase the design goals I mention. It is decidedly a near field monitor. Could probably crack 96db at one meter above 400 hertz if I remember those drivers correctly. Not criticism. I recognize your market application. Just a simple napkin calculation.
a) I do not have a manufacturer badge on my profile, hence I am not a manufacturer, b) it says on my profile where I said "We stopped production at the turn of the century." I was a manufacturer almost a quarter of a century ago!

PMC, JBL, GENELEC those come off the top of my head quickly.
Other than the horn loaded JBL speakers why would you classify the standard dome tweeters used on most studio monitors, in your words, to be "from the midbass on up highly efficient systems"? Genelec for instance only sell active, how do you know the efficiency of their drivers? Even large ATC Hi-Fi speakers have around 85dB/W efficiency. Have they created drivers that are at least twice more efficient for their pro gear?

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is such a terrible secret: it is impossible to create a loudspeaker as a product without design and measurements.
Seeing some speaker measurements here and elsewhere, even high-end ones, I might believe they simply tossed some crossover parts in a box and shook it.

test1223

Passive crossovers are not state of the art. They are a bandaid. Something that works, but never optimally.
Everything has it's pros and cons. E.g. you should reduce a cone resonance with a passive crossover even if you can do it active, since it will much better prevent the excitation of the resonance and might reduce the self noise of an active speaker significantly.

The few remainders actually purpose design their drivers and understand what they are doing. TAD,GENELEC, a few others like KEF and B&W and DYNAUDIO.
You are very ignorant here. A lot of small companies have some very good engineers and build very good speakers. A lot of the ultra high end speaker are bigger and better than any speaker of companies you named. The engineers in these bigger established companies aren't even allowed to even think about designing a high end speaker like e.g. an Acapella Audio Sphäron Excalibur
bass: 4 x 18" driver
low middle frequency: 1 x 12" driver - spherical horn 1050 mm
middle freuquency: 1 x 2" driver - sperical horn 580 mm
high frequency: plasma tweeter

It is an example of a very small company. They none of the less did some good engineering. No TAD, JBL or other bigger company can build such a speaker, since they might sell only about one speaker per year in an optimistic case.

mwmkravchenko

Everything has it's pros and cons. E.g. you should reduce a cone resonance with a passive crossover even if you can do it active, since it will much better prevent the excitation of the resonance and might reduce the self noise of an active speaker significantly.
You can create a filter in a passive crossover that will reduce the output of the loudspeaker at the notch filter design point. But the resonance is still there. It is only reduced. You can do this via an active crossover as well. With no penalty is loss of efficiency or drift in the notch tuning frequency as the driver warms up and the impedance changes.

You are very ignorant here. A lot of small companies have some very good engineers and build very good speakers. A lot of the ultra high end speaker are bigger and better than any speaker of companies you named. The engineers in these bigger established companies aren't even allowed to even think about designing a high end speaker like e.g. an Acapella Audio Sphäron Excalibur
bass: 4 x 18" driver
low middle frequency: 1 x 12" driver - spherical horn 1050 mm
middle freuquency: 1 x 2" driver - sperical horn 580 mm
high frequency: plasma tweeter

It is an example of a very small company. They none of the less did some good engineering. No TAD, JBL or other bigger company can build such a speaker, since they might sell only about one speaker per year in an optimistic case.
I am pretty sure that you do not know what I do for a living. I am one of those guys. I am hired by small companies and large companies to do design work for their drivers and their finished systems. I design custom loudspeaker drivers, Cabinets, crossovers and source systems for OEM clients. Some are small operations and some are very large. I have designed well received AMT's, Planars, Woofers, Midwoofers, Midranges, Tweeters and Subwoofers. Cabinets ranging from sealed to bandpass to tapped horn variant of a bandpass to back loaded horn and front loaded horns. Waveguides and Cardioid loudspeakers to. I started as a box stuffer in 1989 and moved up to driver design in 1997. Acoustical treatment and anechoic chamber design I started in 2014. I like a challenge. And I like accurate sound. I played French HOrn for 6 years in School and still play Trumpet. So no theoretical background in I like music, I helped make music. That's why I got into this in the first place. For the love of music.

So yes, I respect that you are correct in that statement. And I do not exclude the idea that many other people, other than me know everything that I have typed. Where did I learn it in the first place? JAES, Speaker Builder, Acoustical Society of America, Australia, Philips Technical Review, Bruel & Kajer Technical articles. It is not a secret where to learn great loudspeaker engineering.

And thanks for naming a loudspeaker for me to look at that does offer something that actually addresses what I have been typing. I will enjoy learning about it.

Mark

mwmkravchenko

Very interesting design. My first driver design work was for a Lowther type wideband. Also my first Backloaded horn was a Mauhorn. All getting my feet wet in 1994. That would be one dynamic system to listen to. Thanks for showing this to me!

Mark

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can create a filter in a passive crossover that will reduce the output of the loudspeaker at the notch filter design point. But the resonance is still there. It is only reduced. You can do this via an active crossover as well. With no penalty is loss of efficiency or drift in the notch tuning frequency as the driver warms up and the impedance changes.
The passive notch filter can reduce the corresponding peak related HD while the active doesn't, see

and

mwmkravchenko

The passive notch filter can reduce the corresponding peak related HD while the active doesn't, see

and

I have read a bit of this. Now I am wondering how limited this MiniDSP crossover is. I don't use their products as I have not been impressed with them for a long time. Let me look what you can do to generate a notch here. It almost looks like it is the type of filter that you are allowed to generate is the reason for the differences.

Also I just read both filters were effective. More reading required.

Mark

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have read a bit of this. Now I am wondering how limited this MiniDSP crossover is. I don't use their products as I have not been impressed with them for a long time. Let me look what you can do to generate a notch here. It almost looks like it is the type of filter that you are allowed to generate is the reason for the differences.

Also I just read both filters were effective. More reading required.

Mark
The Purifi paper doesn't use or specify any MiniDSP, the reduction of the distortion (or lack of such) has nothing to do with it as it was replicated from few members here already.

mwmkravchenko

Ok reading quickly it appears that the DSP is indeed capable of creating the same filter as you can passively. I do not know what the gentleman in the thread you posted did. But, it appears that there is no reason why the resulting filters cannot be acousticly identical.

Now putting the transducer designer hat on I would say that defeating the resonance is the true goal. Not notching it. This driver has a resonance that is quite close to the desired passband, and it will quietly rear it's ugly head as you pump up the volume. This type of distortion always does.

Nice to see some DIY loudspeakers. Not a big fan of solid wood cabinets. They tend to break and crack over time.

Mark

Top Bottom