• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultra High Definition in 2016

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
UHD (4K).

Have you seen some recently, @ your local magic theater, or local audio/video stores, or @ home on your own screen...in all the comfort of your own zone?

And if yes, what was the most impressive material/movies/demos/videos/documentaries you saw?
Did you notice a clear evidence compared to 2K (1080p) or was it just a slightly prettier picture?

I don't have a 4K TV yet, but I want in ...eventually in a not too distant future...depending of the 4K material reasonably accessible here @ down-to-earth prices.

Amir has a 4K OLED TV, anyone else? ...About one of those newer 4K laptop's screen resolution? ...A 4K Smartphone?

Best 4K stuff I saw @ my local audio/video stores was some video demos shot around the world...just wow incredible! Normal speed, time lapse (real fast) and slow mo.
On 60-65" Samsung, Panasonic 4K TVs, the details, colors are breathtaking real. The difference with 2K is highly evident. Everything is better; blacks, whites, contrast, dynamics, luminosity.

For now I keep it simple; what our eyes saw. ...Later on some links, video science review...and videos, beautiful videos.
But always keeping both eyes open on reality...what we see.

@Amir, I know that some day you're going to share and write some more about OLED and 4K, and what your own eyes saw on your own TV @ home, with pictures, and the movie 4K titles you saw.
I give you till the end on May to come up with something juicy. :)

One day @ a time, no rush, peacefully rolling down the countryside hills on a nice green carpet with tulips of all colors and the roses coming soon. There is nothing more beautiful than nature outside...real life in a gorgeous environment...like where I live and the goddesses from Venus in it. ...Then 4K.

fas42

Major Contributor
Bob, the most impressive aspect is the level of detail - on a scene with people in the far distance their faces are still very detailed, it's not just an anonymous blur as usual; the whole experience with nature shots is just lifted so much, the sense of, yes, "realness" is so much better. With absolutely pin accurate colour calibration done, it should be very special indeed ...

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Bob, the most impressive aspect is the level of detail - on a scene with people in the far distance their faces are still very detailed, it's not just an anonymous blur as usual; the whole experience with nature shots is just lifted so much, the sense of, yes, "realness" is so much better. With absolutely pin accurate colour calibration done, it should be very special indeed ...

Citizen Kane (Orson Welles) was filmed with a special camera to not only focus on first plans but also on backgrounds.
In real life our eyes don't work that way. The objects that we focus on are @ a certain distance, other objects from other distances are unfocused, blurred.
A car driving fast from left to right is impossible to focus on with our eyes in real life, so in the movies. No camera, no human eye is able to perform such an impossible task.

Best demos I have seen have been at shows like CES. These are custom clips designed to show off the displays.

Yes, demo clips that I saw in video stores were the very best for me. I was blown away.

Amir, @ Axpona 2016 did you visit the Seaton Sound room → http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...-atmos-system-axpona-2016-a.html#post43499450

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I am keeping my powder dry on 4K for awhile. I need to see some issues with multiple versions of Hi Dynamic Range get sorted out and some sense there is a worthwhile flow of program material. Plus, prices will come down. I am sure it will be great eventually. But, I am in no rush.

Top Bottom