• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultimate system, Kii THREE BXT versus Beolab 90 versus Dutch&Dutch 8C ?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kii BLTs arrive soon I hope, Dutch&Dutch are threatening that their subwoofer integration software is imminent , if I can sell the horns I might get some Beolab 90s
because I feel they could be the last speaker ‘big’ speaker, and they have a really cool light when you switch them on.
Subs for the 8Cs we will have two to make Sal happy and two more connected destructively.
I am utterly convinced by controlled directivity, cardioid dispersion, hopefully Dutch&Dutch’s subs will be cardioid and extend the 8Cs response way down.
Source will be any old laptop running Roon because I like their software the best.
Any other speakers I should consider?
Keith

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Kii BLTs arrive soon I hope, Dutch&Dutch are threatening that their subwoofer integration software is imminent , if I can sell the horns I might get some Beolab 90s
because I feel they could be the last speaker ‘big’ speaker, and they have a really cool light when you switch them on.
Subs for the 8Cs we will have two to make Sal happy and two more connected destructively.
I am utterly convinced by controlled directivity, cardioid dispersion, hopefully Dutch&Dutch’s subs will be cardioid and extend the 8Cs response way down.
Source will be any old laptop running Roon because I like their software the best.
Any other speakers I should consider?
Keith

You should consider Genelec 1236, compression horn, two mid drivers and two 18’ woofers. Active. DSP.

1236_ram-xl.jpg

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
No plan for some JBL M2 or 4367 ?
What extra do they bring, I have four way horns now, I have been slightly underwhelmed by the JBL K2s and ‘Everests’ at Munich over the years ,
I was always told that you should only ever use compression drivers over theflattest part of their response.
They are both passive, no cardioid not phase coherent, I would need subs DSP etc.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You should consider Genelec 1236, compression horn, two mid drivers and two 18’ woofers. Active. DSP.

1236_ram-xl.jpg
Sort of done Genelec around ten years ago it must have been , they had just released these,

Speakers not small females.
Those cables were palladium!
Under the table an MC Trinnov , those were the days.

Keith

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I though you were an official JBL/synthesis dealer now?
Maybe you should try to listen to a pair of M2.

I was always told that you should only ever use compression drivers over theflattest part of their response.
What do you call flat here?
The D2430K used in the M2/4367 requires EQ due to mass roll off that is apparent on a constant directivity horn, but it is virtually free of any breakup artifact up to the UHF range, so no drawback in EQing it and sensitivity/efficiency will remain much higher than any dome tweeter.

They are both passive,
The M2 is active and comes with either its integrated amplifier/DSP, of a dedicated DSP to be used with the amps of your choice.

no cardioid
These are not cardioid speakers but directivity is very well controlled and power response is very smooth.
Directivity is of course much larger than a cardioid, but very coherent.

not phase coherent,
I cannot speak for the 4367, but I can attest that the M2 is definitely phase coherent (which is not the same a linear-phase).

I would need subs DSP etc.
The M2 comes with a DSP, and additional room for EQ to tailor the speakers to a given situation.
The 15" woofer has more sensitivity and about twice the radiating area of the pair of 8" in the D&D 8C.
You will most probably not need subs for music listening.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
In the AV Forums blind M2 versus Revel Salon 2 comparison the Salons won easily , I have the Salons, the 8Cs cream them , and the M2s aren’t really active are they, they are ‘powered’.
Keith

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Sort of done Genelec around ten years ago it must have been , they had just released these,

Speakers not small females.
Those cables were palladium!
Under the table an MC Trinnov , those were the days.

Keith

Since you mentioned Beolab 90 I reckoned you wanted to match its size, weight and price.

And these speakers are interesting due to their footprint in order to sort shoeboxes from King Kong coffins.

(I haven’t heard them myself, though).

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the AV Forums blind M2 versus Revel Salon 2 comparison the Salons won easily , I have the Salons, the 8Cs cream them , and the M2s aren’t really active are they, they are ‘powered’.
Keith
Maybe you should listen for yourself to forge an informed opinion.
The M2 are active to the true sense of the word, with a dedicated amp per driver and very precise EQ/filter settings.

9radua1

Interesting read. I noticed JA at Stereophile noted some significant cabinet modes on the Kii Three cabinet at 150hz and 220hz (or some such).

Would that be of any concern? Perhaps it matters whether they’re mounted to, or standing on, their stands.

Considering buying a used pair as my second system.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Kiis are perhaps the most transparent loudspeakers you can buy, although I haven’t compared them directly with the Beolabs, I have no concerns at all over the enclosure.
What is your primary system?
Keith

9radua1

The Kiis are perhaps the most transparent loudspeakers you can buy, although I haven’t compared them directly with the Beolabs, I have no concerns at all over the enclosure.
What is your primary system?
Keith

Alright. I have only heard them at a friends house for a couple of tracks. My primary system is the Primare series pre, power and DAC on the Buchardt S400 with Dirac Live 2.3 in the family living room.

Just buy them and enjoy. Don't over-think it, life is too short.

I'm not against that philosophy. Just waiting for the right deal. They seem to be cheaper used than the D&D 8C.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The cabinet of Kii is more than adequate considering the rest of the construction. Any coloration of sound will IMO be from other design-choices, like the sharing of an open cabinet for all drivers and amplifiers. Not quite perfect, but really sublime for the price and size - especially used.
I no longer have them, but I'm still very fond of the Kii Threes. I would recommend them to anyone where space and size restrictions are a concern, but would still recommend subs if realistic output in the bass range is desired in anything other than small rooms.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Alright. I have only heard them at a friends house for a couple of tracks. My primary system is the Primare series pre, power and DAC on the Buchardt S400 with Dirac Live 2.3 in the family living room.

I'm not against that philosophy. Just waiting for the right deal. They seem to be cheaper used than the D&D 8C.
You will be able to swop system’s the Buchardt’s can become your second system.
Keith

9radua1

@Purité Audio, can you implement a sub with the Kiis if you wanted to? For instance with the MiniDSP SDH and time delaying/correcting the sub accordingly to fit the Kiis internal latency?

Or is there another, smarter way?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's the smartest way if you're going to use the Kii as tv-speakers. You'll be required to use minimum (ish) latency settings on the Kii, though.
If you're going to use computer as only source, you can also use Audiolense or Accurate software and a multichannel dac like Okto Dac8 and include more than two subwoofers. This will be a better and more advanced way of doing it, but I'd just use SHD and Dirac if ease of use is of any concern.

Top Bottom