• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultimate 1ET400A Purifi Amplifier sonic shootout - €820 to €8,344

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is your intellect so small that you can't discriminate between calling a person a fascist and calling an outlook fascist? Rather ironically, you are accusing me of engaging in ad hominem attacks while you yourself do the same...Hmmm....Kettle, meet pot...

I don't need people telling me what "better sound" is anymore than I need someone telling me what flavor of ice cream is best. These subjective preferences are entirely a personal choice- if there was a universal "best", everyone would agree and the market would have few participants. All of these stupid arguments about tubes vs ss, vinyl vs digital, blah blah blah, which is "better"...there is a flavor for every taste. I joined this site to get away from the golden ears pontificating on what sounds better or best. I enjoy being able to read the objective test results, discuss engineering choices and the rationale behind them. I appreciate fact based discussion. I don't see the value added by making space for someone advertising audio magic which is in direct opposition to the philosophy of this site.

This site is for those who actually believe in science, facts, and logic and are interested in discussing and debating within those parameters. For those who peddle snake oil, there are sites for those both selling and those happy to buy it. I would assume people come here to get away from that very thing, which many know is all too pervasive. If you want to have an "intelligent discussion" about the benefits of adding some wire to your binding posts or freezing your cds, there are plenty of sites that can accommodate.

Maybe it is just me but I find the claims Mr. Schultz makes the height of audacity: without anything other than his own subjectivity and personal biases, he is actually trying to have people believe that he knows better than Bruno, with all his patents, products, and a mile high stack of positive reviews to his credit. What has Mr. Schultz produced? He constantly jumps from popular product to popular product, sprinkling some fairy dust here, a little solder there, and POOF! A mind blowing improvement! Nothing but his word that the alteration has "improved" the product. Shameless and crass. Bruno, on the other hand, takes great pains to produce a product that has no "sound". He has stated this time and again. He backs it up with solid research, design, and the test results speak for themselves. He is an innovator and creator, in bold contrast.

I am not wasting any time on Ric and his fallacies. He goes from site to site pushing his lunacy. I would suggest you take your own advice and if you disagree with my take on things, you can ad me to your ignore list rather than harass me because I don't believe he belongs here pimping bs.

So let's see here, you go from claiming Ric is "promoting his facist [sic] views" to now attacking me saying "your intellect is so small", then turn into the victim at the end of your post claiming that I am now "harrass[ing]" you. Hypocrite much? Perhaps you should take a look at your anger issues and fact that you feel the need to attack others on the internet when they say things you don't agree with.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Meanwhile the rest of us that listen and compare will be enjoying better and better sound with each voodoo tweak we perform. BTW......here is a joke.....I am sure you won't laugh...
"Only the deaf need to do blind listening tests"......get it? deaf and blind?.....of course, you are not stupid.
All your voodoo tweaks made the sound so orgasmic it destroyed your sense of humor.

Last edited:

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So let's see here, you go from claiming Ric is "promoting his facist [sic] views" to now attacking me saying "your intellect is so small", then turn into the victim at the end of your post claiming that I am now "harrass[ing]" you. Hypocrite much? Perhaps you should take a look at your anger issues and fact that you feel the need to attack others on the internet when they say things you don't agree with.

My comments were initially addressing Mr. Schultz and his snake oil. You felt the need to jump in and start slinging your insults in my direction when I characterized his dictation of what "better sound" is as fascist. Go take a look in the mirror before you accuse others of small lives, hypocrisy, attacking others who say things you disagree with, and anger issues. I don't recall anyone asking for your opinion before you felt the need to defend this charlatan by inserting yourself into the discussion with your petty insult.

Go ahead and throw out some more insults if your ego requires it. I can see clearly what you meant by "intelligent discussion". I have no more time to waste on such petty discourse.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My comments were initially addressing Mr. Schultz and his snake oil. You felt the need to jump in and start slinging your insults in my direction when I characterized his dictation of what "better sound" is as fascist. Go take a look in the mirror before you accuse others of small lives, hypocrisy, attacking others who say things you disagree with, and anger issues. I don't recall anyone asking for your opinion before you felt the need to defend this charlatan by inserting yourself into the discussion with your petty insult.

Go ahead and throw out some more insults if your ego requires it. I can see clearly what you meant by "intelligent discussion". I have no more time to waste on such petty discourse.

Wow, thanks for proving everything I pointed out correct. Last I checked, it was you who referred to Ric as "promoting his facist [sic] views" and telling me "your intellect is so small". I apparently hit a sore spot when I pointed out that you are taking this way too seriously.

And yes, I will not wait for "anyone asking your opinion" before providing one and similarly "defend this charlatan by inserting yourself into the discussion", as this is an open forum, and I for one believe that we should allow people to express views that we don't agree with.

In the meantime, I am sure you will respond with some more insults, as you can't help yourself. You are angry and cannot move on without having the last word, the last insult, and have appointed yourself lord of ASR.

Finally, have you considered becoming a forum supporter, or do you just prefer to come, insult, take the information, and be an economic free rider? It cost time and money for Amir to run all these tests, if you really like them, you will donate to help them continue.

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I checked, it was you who referred to Ric as "promoting his facist [sic] views" and telling me "your intellect is so small". I apparently hit a sore spot when I pointed out that you are taking this way too seriously.
Yeah. This guy saw it coming many years ago though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Finally, have you considered becoming a forum supporter, or do you just prefer to come, insult,
I second this! Science doesn't happen for free, you know :D

Maybe we also should start a fund to buy our friendly mods/admins something nice as a thanks for putting up with (and trying to resolve) all the personal attacks that seem endemic to Purifi/Hypex amp threads lately.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

I second this! Science doesn't happen for free, you know :D

Maybe we also should start a fund to buy our friendly mods/admins something nice as a thanks for putting up with (and trying to resolve) all the personal attacks that seem endemic to the region of Purifi/Hypex amp threads lately.

I think that is a great idea, but it could be expensive, they do a lot of work.

And you brought up Godwin's law, which means Hitler is part of the conversation, so now I am compelled to post this:

Hitler booby.gif

firedog

I did write Purifi and they confirmed that one Hypex SMPS1200A400 is all that is needed for a stereo amp. They said that's how they configure a demo amp for evaluation.

Puska

asruser2020

BEL CANTO E1X AMPLIFIER (£5,600) = €6,240
https://belcantodesign.com/home/e1x/e1x-amplifier/ (1ET400A architecture to be verified)

Stereophile reviewed the Bel Canto e1X amplifier: https://www.stereophile.com/content/bel-canto-e1x-power-amplifier

The article says that this amp uses Ncore, not 1ET400A:

I asked John Stronczer, Bel Canto's founder, CEO, and chief of design, to expound on the class-D technology employed in the e1X, and he responded with the following: "The output stage is a low gain Ncore class-D stage that provides extremely low noise and distortion while delivering up to 30 amperes of current."

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Stereophile reviewed the Bel Canto e1X amplifier: https://www.stereophile.com/content/bel-canto-e1x-power-amplifier

The article says that this amp uses Ncore, not 1ET400A:

I asked John Stronczer, Bel Canto's founder, CEO, and chief of design, to expound on the class-D technology employed in the e1X, and he responded with the following: "The output stage is a low gain Ncore class-D stage that provides extremely low noise and distortion while delivering up to 30 amperes of current."

The price is outrageous for a NCore system with a discrete buffer. Is it going to be better than, say, the Weiss op-amps (to stay in the discrete domain and with a design that measures better than almost any opamp based solution)? The stereophile review even expresses marvel at the fact that they were able to reduce the price from 10K to 6K while also keeping quality. *facepalm*

firedog

The price is outrageous for a NCore system with a discrete buffer. Is it going to be better than, say, the Weiss op-amps (to stay in the discrete domain and with a design that measures better than almost any opamp based solution)? The stereophile review even expresses marvel at the fact that they were able to reduce the price from 10K to 6K while also keeping quality. *facepalm*

What's also interesting is that they just introduced an integrated into the same line that includes a streamer, DAC, preamp, and phono pre along with the power amp. It goes for "only" $8000. The reviewer in the Absolute Sound said it sounds as good as his much more expensive separates, so it's a bargain in the audiophile world.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Again it looks like the input buffer has degraded the NCore performance looking by the measurements. The distortion vs freq curve rises significantly and the 19/20kHz intermodulation looks high for an Ncore.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD is coming out with the C298 power amp using purifi, you can add that to your list.

Top Bottom