• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultimate 1ET400A Purifi Amplifier sonic shootout - €820 to €8,344

ririt

Thanks March Audio. Does the cable described in the attached link https://www.designacable.com/audio-...e-xlr-lead-pair-van-damme-starquad-cable.html suitable for such connection?
on the web page, they made the following statement:
« These leads are cleverly wired to minimize noise interference which is inherent when connecting unbalanced equipment to balanced equipment. We have used the world renowned Van Damme Starquad cable with industry standard Neutrik and Switchcraft Gold Plated connectors. These cables look and sound great. All terminations are made with a 4% silver solder.
**Wiring Notes**
These high quality cables are wired to our own specification, with the screen only being connected on one side of the cable. The world-wide debate of which side should be left floating is ongoing and will likely never be resolved. On these leads we have left the screen un-connected at the ‘source’ end. This eliminates the risk of induced hum and noise (ground loops) from the screen. The unused pin inside the XLR is wired to the screen inside the RCA/Jack, this reduces unwanted noise and signal degradation at the input stage. »

Does that fit with what described by Bruno Putzeys?
Thanks for your feedback

TomJ

Not really worrisome since it is DC.
Thanks for your post. Looking at their photos more closely, now I see that the DC wire harness is elevated as it passes the amp boards, also that the steel plate on the SMPS heat sink wraps around on the left side to the back panel to shield the amps from the AC wire harness. Nicely done.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor

stren

Forum Donor
$5000 for a 7 channel is pretty good value, only the VTV beats that if you were to buy 4 stereo units to give 8 channels for ~$3920. Note that the nad's all channel power spec is 10-15% lower though than the 2 channel.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, one of the differentiating features among some of these amps is gain: fixed vs selectable, and different amounts. The Apollon appears to have a fixed gain, which is less flexible - but on the other hand it's 28dB, which is close to the THX standard and basically right in the middle of the traditional 27-29dB gain range of a lot of Class AB amps. Most other Purifi-based amps seem to top out at 25.5 or 26dB gain, and default to 18-20dB gain.

Not huge differences, but can be noticeable, especially if you're feeding them with a digital line source rather than an active preamp.

kaka89

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, one of the differentiating features among some of these amps is gain: fixed vs selectable, and different amounts. The Apollon appears to have a fixed gain, which is less flexible - but on the other hand it's 28dB, which is close to the THX standard and basically right in the middle of the traditional 27-29dB gain range of a lot of Class AB amps. Most other Purifi-based amps seem to top out at 25.5 or 26dB gain, and default to 18-20dB gain.

Not huge differences, but can be noticeable, especially if you're feeding them with a digital line source rather than an active preamp.

Does digital line source means digital input?

I want to use RME ADI-2 to feed the amp directly, and I want to figure out what is the best amp gain settings. (I want to use the +7dBu gain in my DAC)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

I want to use RME ADI-2 to feed the amp directly, and I want to figure out what is the best amp gain settings. (I want to use the +7dBu gain in my DAC)
Why only +7dBu? I would use a higher settting.

Anyway +7dBu is 1.73 volts rms. You will require 27.8dB gain to get the Purifi to max output into 4 ohms. That would leave you no latitude for quieter recordings that dont hit 0dBFS.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks March Audio. Does the cable described in the attached link https://www.designacable.com/audio-...e-xlr-lead-pair-van-damme-starquad-cable.html suitable for such connection?
on the web page, they made the following statement:
« These leads are cleverly wired to minimize noise interference which is inherent when connecting unbalanced equipment to balanced equipment. We have used the world renowned Van Damme Starquad cable with industry standard Neutrik and Switchcraft Gold Plated connectors. These cables look and sound great. All terminations are made with a 4% silver solder.
**Wiring Notes**
These high quality cables are wired to our own specification, with the screen only being connected on one side of the cable. The world-wide debate of which side should be left floating is ongoing and will likely never be resolved. On these leads we have left the screen un-connected at the ‘source’ end. This eliminates the risk of induced hum and noise (ground loops) from the screen. The unused pin inside the XLR is wired to the screen inside the RCA/Jack, this reduces unwanted noise and signal degradation at the input stage. »

Does that fit with what described by Bruno Putzeys?
Thanks for your feedback
Im afraid no it doesnt

Panelhead

Forum Donor

The gain required is also dependent on the loudspeakers, The highest level would be appropriate for speakers that are 82 - 84 dB efficient. The lowest gain setting is better if the speakers are 100+ dB efficient,
Optimal is where the volume controller goes past 50% in loud listening. I like 50 - 60% of pot rotation for normal source and listening level.
I hate it when 30% of rotation is LOUD. Also if the attenuator is opened all the way to get a satisfactory output.
Some music has almost no compression. The gain level I select makes it really loud when there is peaks. Other music is so compressed the sound pressure levels seem fixed.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Except for the RME,
The gain required is also dependent on the loudspeakers, The highest level would be appropriate for speakers that are 82 - 84 dB efficient. The lowest gain setting is better if the speakers are 100+ dB efficient,
Optimal is where the volume controller goes past 50% in loud listening. I like 50 - 60% of pot rotation for normal source and listening level.
I hate it when 30% of rotation is LOUD. Also if the attenuator is opened all the way to get a satisfactory output.
Some music has almost no compression. The gain level I select makes it really loud when there is peaks. Other music is so compressed the sound pressure levels seem fixed.

Except for the RME when placed in auto mode automatically switches gains in 6db increments from -5dbu to +13dbu (6db higher for xlr output) keeping the SN ratio maximized across a large range. But yes, for most systems, most preamps have too much gain resulting in having the volume knob in the lower part of its range which results in higher distortion for a traditional analog volume control. Most people don’t understand that ideally you should have the volume knob at max for your highest volume. Heck, with my Schiit preamp in passive mode, driven by a 4v balanced connection, I still could only use max volume on recordings that were 8-10 db below 0dbfs, and this was with 83 db efficient Magneplanars.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For reference, using the ADI-2 DAC with my NC502MP module and my Monitor Audio PL100 speakers, using AutoRef and in normal listening volumes, it chose -5dBu gain for a total of -40 to -30dB attenuation (which AutoRef did partially reducing the gain and partially using digital volume).

Last edited:

Ric Schultz

For those that listen.......not just measure......I perform mods to Purifi based amps. Every mod I do makes the sound better (believe it or not). For the adventurous: The best Voodoo......I do.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

stren

Forum Donor
Top Bottom