• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultimate 1ET400A Purifi Amplifier sonic shootout - €820 to €8,344

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The manufacturer claims it is a Class D with a switching frequency of 600Khz.
Huh, because I looked at their spec page and it states it is Class H. The 600khz possibly refers to the rail switching frequency.
821932AD-B64C-4B4E-B1A8-4ED8FBB9F13B.jpeg

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Huh, because I looked at their spec page and it states it is Class H. The 600khz possibly refers to the rail switching frequency.View attachment 123744

They indeed do they state Class H at the bottom, but this may be a typo since other products are Class H.

They say “Hybrid” but because they use a linear supply - maybe they also have a traditional buffer, but they even claim “digital amplifier”… but in reality just as D does not stand for digital, H does not stand for Hybrid.

Last edited:

nstzya

I think it’s a typo. But photo does show a nice pair, doesn’t it? You know, for those who are toroidal men.;)

Last edited:

pokerbarlo

Is there a difference in wattage output between the VTV Stereo and VTV Stereo dual mono. I tought dual mono meant 2 amps in bridge mode for higher power output but judging from what I read the only difference is an added power supply?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Is there a difference in wattage output between the VTV Stereo and VTV Stereo dual mono. I tought dual mono meant 2 amps in bridge mode for higher power output but judging from what I read the only difference is an added power supply?

Yes, dual mono simply means that the design consists of two mono amplifiers into a single chassis - the only thing that they share is the common power inlet, but then two sets of wires go from there to the two power supplies.

ABall

Forum Donor
I dont think this amplifier has any more power when configured in mono, my old JLH monos had about another 20wpc than the stereo version but I think thats to do with limits on a single power supply which Purifi doesnt have. Mono will use the Eval 2 while stereo will use the Eval 1 or similar designs from other vendors, bridged has to us 4 Purifi boards but you could have Mono and Bridged as already said using a separate power supplies for left and right channels. I think I have read that Purifi do not recommend bridging their boards, also there is no worth while benefit to building dual mono into a single chassis. The advantage comes from having separate chassis so you can put the amps next to your speaker and have shorter speaker cables, using balanced interconnects over a longer length which is what balanced was designed for.

Last edited:
Do we have any particular reason to pick another input board than the Eval one yet? I'm somewhat confused whether any of them like the Neurochrome ar actually better?
I'd like some customization, but fx. the Nord seems to be worse for it?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Do we have any particular reason to pick another input board than the Eval one yet? I'm somewhat confused whether any of them like the Neurochrome ar actually better?
I'd like some customization, but fx. the Nord seems to be worse for it?
The EVAL1 is an evaluation board. Measures very well but forget convenience of use. Plus nasty noises in some situations.
You won't find the Neurochrome in finished amplifiers.

The EVAL1 is an evaluation board. Measures very well but forget convenience of use. Plus nasty noises in some situations.
You won't find the Neurochrome in finished amplifiers.
I intend to DIY a purifi amp, so I just want to figure out which input buffer would yield the best result. Since purifi would appear to make the best amps on the market at the moment, short of Benchmark, which is less powerful.

Last edited:
It is a product specifically for the DIY market.
Do we know if anyone has measure/tried multiple input boards, to see which are good? Would be great to get the performance of the Eval bypass method, but with some actual gain and buffer still in place...

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Do we know if anyone has measure/tried multiple input boards, to see which are good? Would be great to get the performance of the Eval bypass method, but with some actual gain and buffer still in place...
What you are asking is technically not possible. If there is additional gain, there is additional noise. If there is additional noise, performance will suffer.
May I suggest you post in this dedicated thread? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/

arn

Somebody ordered vtv from the us to the eu?
I calculated 1219 eur with vat and import duty. Is it possible? It is still cheaper than the eu builds.
Is there maybe a eu distributor?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I calculated 1219 eur with vat and import duty. Is it possible? It is still cheaper than the eu builds.
True, it is still 400 Euro or so cheaper than the EU manufacturers. However, the level of workmanship and the quality of the cases and chassis are much higher in the EU builds.

That all being said, there just aren’t that many manufacturers worldwide offering Purifi amps. I’ve identified the following through Google searches and I believe this is a complete list:

Worldwide distribution:
NAD

UK: (might require customs duties, tariffs, etc., outside of region)
Nord

Norway: (might require customs duties, tariffs, etc., outside of region)
Vera Audio

EU: (might require customs duties, tariffs, etc., outside of region)
Apollon
Audiophonics
Boxem
ATM Audio
Rouge Audio Design

US: (might require customs duties, tariffs, etc., outside of region)
VTV

Australia: (might require customs duties, tariffs, etc., outside of region)
March Audio
Holton Precision Audio

Last edited:

arn

True, it is still 400 Euro or so cheaper than the EU manufacturers. However, the level of workmanship and the quality of the cases and chassis are much higher in the EU builds.

That all being said, there just aren’t that many manufacturers worldwide offering Purifi amps. I’ve identified the following through Google searches and I believe this is a complete list:

Worldwide distribution:
NAD

EU: (might require customs duties outside of region)
Nord
Apollon
Audiophonics
Boxem
ATM Audio
Rouge Audio Design

US: (might require customs duties outside of region)
VTV

Australia: (might require customs duties outside of region)
March Audio
Holton Precision Audio

i would be happy with the reference purifi eval1, and with the same gent case the price is very similar, if i build it. Is still no alternative to the gent?

It is superexpensive compared to the similar level pc cases (~250 eur).

mocenigo

Major Contributor

True, but if something happens you have to ship to the US. Higher costs, a lot of paperwork to go through customs each time. VTV build quality is, IMNSHO, quite on the low side. Have a look at the Apollon Audio Purifi Mini Stereo Amplifier - for the stunning build quality it is a steal. And service directly in the EU.

Roberto

arn

True, but if something happens you have to ship to the US. Higher costs, a lot of paperwork to go through customs each time. VTV build quality is, IMNSHO, quite on the low side. Have a look at the Apollon Audio Purifi Mini Stereo Amplifier - for the stunning build quality it is a steal. And service directly in the EU.

Roberto

yeah, i know - it looks cool, but at this price level (1.5x more expensive), i would go with the nad 298.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Worldwide distribution:
NAD

EU: (might require customs duties outside of region)
Nord
Apollon
Audiophonics
Boxem
ATM Audio
Rouge Audio Design

US: (might require customs duties outside of region)
VTV

Australia: (might require customs duties outside of region)
March Audio
Holton Precision Audio

Need to add Vera Audio to the EU column.

Top Bottom