• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultimate 1ET400A Purifi Amplifier sonic shootout - €820 to €8,344

OneManDIY

Is there a certain reason why you have to use that particular SMPS? Is it the most economical sure way to deliver clean power?

Out side of size/weight, any technical reason as to why not use a linear power supply?

skids929

Can anyone speak to whether the input buffers on the purifi modules actually much of a difference? I ask this question based on all the different offerings and because every NCore module I ever heard from different makers sound the exact same. Is it the same for Purifi?

Anyone shed some light?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a certain reason why you have to use that particular SMPS? Is it the most economical sure way to deliver clean power?

Out side of size/weight, any technical reason as to why not use a linear power supply?
Given the choice between SMPS and a linear power supply, I’d always go SMPS.

A lot of the “audiophile cred” about linear power supplies is the bling associated with toroidal transformers. They are big, heavy, and look like they mean business. Funny thing is that in a linear power supply, a dinky cheap-looking split bobbin transformer would do a better job.

Granted, my opinions are informed by high-school level physics. I haven’t picked up a soldering iron in 30 years.

Last edited:

PaulD

Can anyone speak to whether the input buffers on the purifi modules actually much of a difference? I ask this question based on all the different offerings and because every NCore module I ever heard from different makers sound the exact same. Is it the same for Purifi?

Anyone shed some light?
All competently designed and implemented buffers should sound the same, or more precisely have no sound at all.

Some people seem to want an effects box instead of an amplifier, so they change the sound with a buffer that is less than completely transparent.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

skids929

Yeah I read through this...So what does this say about the recent offering from VTV with a tube in the buffer? That has me intrigued and there is just no possible way that doesn't make some audible difference in my mind.

For a subjective example..In my second system I have a pair of Dynaudio Xeo 20s (DSP and Amp built in) in my family room. They are hooked to a Sonos Port in order to integrate into the rest of the crappy Sonos on the first floor (for the wife)..I then proceeded to add a small Tube buffer in the signal path, between the Port and the Speaker, and it made a WORLD of difference in the sound. Then I added an IFI 12v wall wart and it took it even further.

So in my mind shouldn't the input buffer with a Tube have a similar effect to the purifi modules?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
That has me intrigued and there is just no possible way that doesn't make some audible difference in my mind.

I have no real experience with tube gear, but from what I understand, it all depends on the implementation. Both tubes and transistors can be implemented to add distortion, and both can also be implemented to mess as little as possible with the signal. I don't really understand what good tubes do in line level gear, other than giving something glowy to look at.

But I'm not judging. I just don't get the whole tube thing :D

So in my mind shouldn't the input buffer with a Tube have a similar effect to the purifi modules?

Possibly. But why would you buy a product with Purifi modules, if you don't want the performance they are designed for? Why not just do it proper and get a tube power amp?

EDIT: Made me think of this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/distortion-products-are-fish.15423/

Last edited:

skids929

I have no real experience with tube gear, but from what I understand, it all depends on the implementation. Both tubes and transistors can be implemented to add distortion, and both can also be implemented to mess as little as possible with the signal. I don't really understand what good tubes do in line level gear, other than giving something glowy to look at.

But I'm not judging. I just don't get the whole tube thing :D

Possibly. But why would you buy a product with Purifi modules, if you don't want the performance they are designed for? Why not just do it proper and get a tube power amp?

EDIT: Made me think of this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/distortion-products-are-fish.15423/

Good question..For starters, I have space constraints and these amps tend to run small and cool by comparison to tubes. I am running this set up form a desk top. So I'd say that requirement initially brought me to discover Purifi. But then of course went down the rabbit hole of research and realized all the differences in the input buffers manufacturers were putting on these OEM parts/boxes and had to ask the question of how they sound. I get the measurement piece, its been belabored, but want to hear if anyone can actually hear a difference when modifying these modules, much like the Ncore modules.

Like I said I just look at it as adding tubes to any other set up. eg any other SS design with tubes on the input or output, sold as a hybrid design. I've listened to some of them over the years and it does make sonic differences in most designs. Maybe not this one.

For me Tubes definitely add some magic to the listening experience. If I could potentially get both an excellent SS design and a tube accent I might acheive audio nirvana. Not but seriously, I like tubes where appropriate, amps tend to be a perfect spot for them.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
For starters, I have space constraints and these amps tend to run small and cool by comparison to tubes.

If I could potentially get both an excellent SS design and a tube accent I might acheive audio nirvana.

I think the tube accent would render the excellent SS design pointless. A smarter way of getting that combination of compactness, efficiency and colored sound, would be to get a much cheaper Class D amp and add the distortion with a software plugin.

And if you miss the glowing tube, one of those fake filament LED bulbs in a lamp with no shade should do the trick ;)

Just to make it clear; I have nothing against tubes. I just don't see them as something that makes sense in the light of the Purifi philosophy.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
But why would you buy a product with Purifi modules, if you don't want the performance they are designed for? Why not just do it proper and get a tube power amp?

Well, if someone wants a tube-y sound, but they need a ton of power (low sensitivity speakers and/or a very large room), and they do not want the power amp to impress any additional coloration, tube buffer (or tube pre) and Purifi power stage makes a lot of sense. It should also be ASR crowd approved because it is a scientific way to faithfully reproduce the source-through-tube sound ;-)

OneManDIY

Given the choice between SMPS and a linear power supply, I’d always go SMPS.

A lot of the “audiophile cred” about linear power supplies is the bling associated with toroidal transformers. They are big, heavy, and look like they mean business. Funny thing is that in a linear power supply, a dinky cheap-looking split bobbin transformer would do a better job.

Granted, my opinions are informed by high-school level physics. I haven’t picked up a soldering iron in 30 years.

I’m at camp linear PSU. kind of like.. the bigger the better

I do think linear PSUs are “superior” overall but are at a huge disadvantage for cost size and efficiency.

I'm asking more for if I DIY one, will it affect the amp negatively.

And yes the transformer is big key, bulky heavy full of copper and costs $$!!!
Also lots of big filtering capacitors... to eat up the noise and to get that clean smooth voltage.

That being said Hypex or purify won’t use a linear psu for that reason alone... you can’t design a 400W amp that fits in the palm of your hand and slap a behemoth linear PSU 20X the weight and 10x the size . Also any janky SMPS won't do, so that hypex SMPS is probably top notch and doesn't affect the amp! At around $120 that is hard to beat...

The bare DIY amp modules are so expensive (like $850) that there is almost no point to DIY when you can buy a fully assembled one for $1000 (vtv) :(

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Any news or rumors about an upcoming high powered purifi module.

In a recent video interview, Lars Risbo, to this very same question, just mentioned that they changed the dummy loads in the lab and they were busy dissipating kilowatts of energy (as opposed to just a few hundred of watts). That's as close as it gets to a confirmation that higher powered modules are in the pipeline, and of course no timeline yet. Kim Madsen confirmed to me by email that PSUs are in the works as well, but no timeline yet.

nstzya

I’m at camp linear PSU. kind of like.. the bigger the better

I do think linear PSUs are “superior” overall but are at a huge disadvantage for cost size and efficiency.

And yes the transformer is big key, bulky heavy full of copper and costs $$!!!
Also lots of big filtering capacitors... to eat up the noise and to get that clean smooth voltage.

You might take a look at Starke Sound AD4.320. 4 channels of class D fed by big fat toroidal linear power supplies. Also a proprietary class D module running at 600kHz. (NOT Purifi). Can be bridged to 2 (or 3) channels @ 650watts/4ohms. Not a lot out there to read, but what there is seems pretty favorable. I’ve heard it. It’s nice. 30 day trials. ;)

I know I sound like a shill, but I swear no affiliation or gain.

And apologies - I realize this is a Purifi thread, but thought for those interested in a linear power supply...

Last edited:

nstzya

I don't believe the list is still maintained :)

A very gentlemanly way to subtly make your absence known, sir. I suggest this be remedied as you have a very worthy product and it’s absence from the list is a shortcoming... OP?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Starke unit is price competitive, too. I think it is a Class H design (not a Class D).

Last edited:
Top Bottom