• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultimate 1ET400A Purifi Amplifier sonic shootout - €820 to €8,344

Roasty

Can I get some directions?

Between the apollon et400a (non mini) and the NAD c298 is there anything that would place them apart? Or is it the case of whichever one I choose should and would do the job?

Canth

Either one should do the job. NAD is cheaper and has a better case (that aluminium case of the Apollon looks quite similar to the Nord cases and those are flimsy cases at best). Also, the NAD has the 12 volt trigger by default. The Apollon on the other hand seems to have a dual powersupply while the two hypex modules in the NAD seem to share a single one.

I think I would go for the NAD. Full disclosure, I already own a C298, so I am problably biased.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Either one should do the job. NAD is cheaper and has a better case (that aluminium case of the Apollon looks quite similar to the Nord cases and those are flimsy cases at best). Also, the NAD has the 12 volt trigger by default. The Apollon on the other hand seems to have a dual powersupply while the two hypex modules in the NAD seem to share a single one.

I think I would go for the NAD. Full disclosure, I already own a C298, so I am problably biased.

Apollon uses the same Modu shop chassis as Nord for most of their line, but they also have now the Purifi Mini amp in a custom "premium" chassis with both modules sharing the same power supply, and choice of opamps.

https://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-1et400a-mini-stereo-amplifier/

Apollon-Purifi-1et400a-stereo-side-view.jpg

The internal assembly is second to none.

Apollon-Purifi-Stereo-Amplifier-Inside-Top-Iso-view-1080x721.jpg

Last edited:

ririt

I went to a different route by ordering the P452 from March Audio. Quality and design is really top-notch and price wise you will be very close to the NAD if even cheaper (Depending where you live)

jerome

Forum Donor
Hi all,
have you seen measurements of any of the amps mentioned in the first post of this thread (other than Amir's measurements of prototype EVAL1 kit+SMPS1200 unit and NAD M33)?

skids929

I went to a different route by ordering the P452 from March Audio. Quality and design is really top-notch and price wise you will be very close to the NAD if even cheaper (Depending where you live)

how does it sound?

skids929

Also, can anyone confirm the differences between the units with the power supplies as opposed to the single? I know purifi doesn't "need" two, but there are several implementations that involve two power supplies so there must be a sonic difference. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
how does it sound?

The Purifi modules are designed to be pretty close to the elusive straight wire with gain. I doubt March Audio have done anything to mess that up, so hopefully they sound like nothing :D

I know purifi doesn't "need" two, but there are several implementations that involve two power supplies

Less load on the individual PSUs, lower temperature on the critical components -> Longer lifespan.

...and then there's an audiophile myth about SQ.

so there must be a sonic difference.

Not necessarily :)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, can anyone confirm the differences between the units with the power supplies as opposed to the single? I know purifi doesn't "need" two, but there are several implementations that involve two power supplies so there must be a sonic difference. Can anyone confirm or deny?
According to Purifi, use of two power supplies is discouraged and will not result in any difference in sound quality.

skids929

According to Purifi, use of two power supplies is discouraged and will not result in any difference in sound quality.

Thanks guys, appreciate the insight here...So what is the purpose of all the units that have two of the power supplies? Maybe I am referring to it incorrectly. The Nord unit is a dual Mono or balance correct? So there is no sense in having two power supplies per purifi module but is this implentation better? Looks like a mono block set in one box essentially. I am asking because my DAC is a true balanced unit and just trying to align in that way.

I am mostly referring to the Nord set up that uses one PS per module in one chassis.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Thanks guys, appreciate the insight here...So what is the purpose of all the units that have two of the power supplies?

Some of the manufacturers cater more to audiophile myths than others. Nord offer both dual PSUs and a couple of different discrete op-amps to choose from. Things that look nice and feel good to have, but make no actual difference... other than what the power of suggestion gives you.

jerome

Forum Donor
...dual PSUs and a couple of different discrete op-amps to choose from...

That was partly the reason (besides other differences) me asking about the measurements.

Does anyone know whether Amir plans to perform measurements of at least some of these Purify implementations?

Thanks.

skids929

Yeah I am trying not to cross over the line of stupidity while assessing these manufacturers products. But the basis of my curiosity is the dual mono design in relation to other components it DOES make a difference. I have an MSB Discrete DAC and there are clear differences between one and two power supplies to the DAC. One powers analog section, the other powers digital section. In the case of these off the shelf products like this it's just not clear to me if 1x 1200 watts is just adequate for two modules, or dividing it up to each have their own section is sonically better-would have to either listen for myself or get some feedback from those who've tested that scenario. Logic would tell me it does since alot of these manufacturers make mono blocks. My experience with power supplies in any audio equipment has always been more is more. Maybe not the case here with Class D, but everything else I've experienced that is the case.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Maybe not the case here with Class D, but everything else I've experienced that is the case.

The Purifi modules are designed to have a massive amount of negative feedback that makes them practically immune to PSU noise. The only thing you have to worry about is power, and one SMPS1200 is enough for two 1ET400A :)

Last edited:

skids929

The Purifi modules are designed to have a massive amount of negative feedback that makes them practically immune to PSU noise. The only thing you have to worry about is power, and one SMPS1200 is enough for two 1ET400A :)

Thank you sir, I appreciate your knowledge on this tech. Has anyone seen NADs implementation of Purifi? See in this link below...Looks nothing like what everyone else is doing. Granted there are more conections in the box with line outputs and gain adjustment. I just can't see ANY similarity to every other purifi implementations I have seen. Maybe I just don't have enough background overall since I am just diving into understanding Class D.

https://www.hifi-journal.de/news/34...ereo-endstufe-mit-eigentakt-technologie-video

skids929

I assume that's a subjective impression and not something MSB has measured and made public?

I am sure they have measured but nothing public I am able to find. I could certainly ask them. I can only attest to the audible difference in one or two power supplies. Also one PS get's warmer than the other (likely the Analog section) since one section may be drawing more power than the other. But yes subjective.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Top Bottom