• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UK Travel Recommendations (audio and non-audio)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can do Scotland as well.

Which Scottish distilleries do you recommend? I know about and have tried whiskies from the large mainstream ones (Johnnie Walker, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet etc) - would you reckon they're still worth a visit, or should I be looking at other distilleries under the radar? Thanks for the suggestions.
Talisker in Carbost on Skye. I like the whisky, and the Black Cullins are a great landscape. Take the trip from Carbost down south to Glenbrittle and see for yourself. Bring hiking boots!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just home from a week in Snowdonia, the perfect holiday destination. People at work think I'm being wilfully contrarian (something I'll admit to being guilty of at times....) when I say that if given free choice to go anywhere for a holiday I'd go to North Wales (followed by Cumbria, but that is going home so a bit different) but I'm being completely sincere. North Wales has everything I enjoy, stunning scenery, great walking, castles, steam trains, lovely beaches, bonkers zip lines (try Velocity 2.....), cheese on toast and lovely people. And I avoid that whole nightmare of flying. It really is the most wonderful place, beautiful. The Welsh Highland Railway is glorious, and gives you the opportunity to travel behind Beyer-Garratt articulated kettles in the most wonderful of settings, how can you beat that?!!

On the zip line check this:

https://www.zipworld.co.uk/adventure/velocity

I did it with my ten year old daughter (the boy had more sense) and the wait and start is probably the nearest I've come to crapping my pants since I was wearing nappies, it is terrifying. Yet exhilarating (after you complete it.....). How sad is it when my ten year old girl wants to do it again and I'm a nervous wreck, oh dear......

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I live near Oxford, was at University in London (40 years ago though) and have a daughter who lives on Anglesey where we holiday often.
I can endorse Blenheim Palace as a good place to visit. Oxford has the Ashmolean and Pitts-Rivers museums, both brilliant IME.
Anglesey is lovely and the Plas Newydd house, National Trust, is great to visit with a super history, it being the home of Henry William Paget, born in 1768, most famous for leading the cavalry in the Battle of Waterloo 1815, he lost a leg and was awarded the title ‘Marquess of Anglesey’ for his bravery. The story goes he looked down and said "Legs gone" to which another said "so it has sir" He is reputed to be the first person to have an articulated wooden leg.
Whilst in London I spent days in the 3 museums near me, Natural History, V&A and Science museum. Loved them all but haven't been for years.
I love North Wales and my favourite Fish and Chips restaurant is in Conwy, it still fries in beef fat - sadly rare now - so it tastes like the real thing to me.
I visited the George and J G Smiths distillery on Speyside with my in-laws to be in the mid 1970s but hadn't been to another until a couple of weeks ago we went to "The Macallan" new distillery which has been laid out with tours in mind. Expensive stuff though, I enquired about the bottles on sale from my and our friends birth dates, between £8,000 and £25,000 per bottle apparently. Temptation easily resisted.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you head North then I really recommend Hadrian's wall country, between Carlisle and Newcastle (the really nice bits are in the Western half, between Carlisle and Hexham). It really is a beautiful and still quiet and undeveloped area. The military road used to be great for driving quickly in a straight line in my less responsible years. Housesteads fort is probably the standout location but it really is a beautiful area. And it sits close to the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire national parks as well as the lovely Eden Valley and Scottish borders. I grew up in Carlisle and took living on the door step of such places for granted.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am in Kenilworth for the castle now. Any pub or food recommendations?

raif71

Major Contributor
Can one get good price for Sennheiser's headphones that are "Made in Ireland" over in the UK and Ireland?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can one get good price for Sennheiser's headphones that are "Made in Ireland" over in the UK and Ireland?

There are loads of clearance and discount offers on Sennheiser headphones, including B stock from the Sennheiser outlet. The offers fluctuate but do a Google search and invariably you will find a decent offer.

raif71

Major Contributor
There are loads of clearance and discount offers on Sennheiser headphones, including B stock from the Sennheiser outlet. The offers fluctuate but do a Google search and invariably you will find a decent offer.

Yeah...I googled the B-stock of Senn outlet. Really good price!! I will keep in mind if I and the wife decide to go there. Thanks

PaulD

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Going to drop by a nearby pro audio shop to listen to HEDD, Genelec and Neumann. Possibly KS Digital if I can find someone who stocks them nearby. Will definitely try to pop by Purite next time I'm in London.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Naples right now. If any Italian ASRers in that area want to meet, I'm open! Also have a day trip to Rome scheduled, so Roman ASRers are welcome too!

Top Bottom