• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ugliest or Dysfunctional CD players, Turntables, Pre-amps and other gear

KSTR

Major Contributor
It's not a company. It's an individual living in a bubble.
One product is nice, actually. The NOS-ADC without any analog or digital anti-alisasing filters, could be used in education to demonstrate what happens if you butcher things up ;-)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I assumed those three things in large rectangular metal cases were crystals.

Ah ok, yes they are oszilator crystals. Sry after reading parts of that page, and the wood, i thought they also sell some crystals for sound enhancement. Like rubys make the sound warm. ;)

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't find the snake form multi-thousand dollar cable, but THAT is surely the winner !!

raindance

Major Contributor

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
doesn't even have a remote control

Pretty sure they show the remote in the video, and how it can only pause but not stop the CD.

mansr

Major Contributor
Can't find the snake form multi-thousand dollar cable, but THAT is surely the winner !!
This one?
index.php

Robin L

Master Contributor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This one?
index.php
I have seen many outlandish things in High End Audio. I have met people who did outlandish things in the name of High End Audio... This has to be top 5! I mean I am at a loss ... What's that supposed to be? An AC Power cord? From this outlet, a run of the mill outlet to the amplifier this thing would do wonders and ... Someone could actually believe so? Anyone who would have bought this thing deserved the fleecing.
:rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Don't make come into this thread and be a Philips 212/312 apologist! ;)

GA312 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
GA312flipsidepartial by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
The Philips GA-212 (and the later 312) has a low mass arm (albeit a somewhat crude/simplistic one, at that) so a high compliance cartridge is needed for best results.
Dollar for dollar (in the US) in their day with an empathetic cartridge, they were hard to beat and were extremely popular. More than a few of us "poor men" referred to them as the "Poor Man's Thorens".
I actually didn't own one, but my first "good"/"modern" (both relative terms!) tt was a Philips GA-308 I purchased used from hifi dealer in Baltimore, MD (ca. 1977). The 308 is quite similar to the 312, but without the fancy ;) FG DC motor belt drive and electric controls. The 308 also had a 10" rather than 12" platter. I loved that little rascal to pieces. It was a good cheap tt, sort of in the AR-XA school (but nicer looking, if not better built).

FULL DISCLOSURE: I do have a 212 in the basement nowadays... someplace.

Scan0014 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All the Philips tt pics take me way back.....considered them at one point, had kinda cool controls. Didn't want the rest of it in the end :) (went with SL1200 mk2)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Don't make come into this thread and be a Philips 212/312 apologist! ;)

GA312 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
GA312flipsidepartial by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
The Philips GA-212 (and the later 312) has a low mass arm (albeit a somewhat crude/simplistic one, at that) so a high compliance cartridge is needed for best results.
Dollar for dollar (in the US) in their day with an empathetic cartridge, they were hard to beat and were extremely popular. More than a few of us "poor men" referred to them as the "Poor Man's Thorens".
I actually didn't own one, but my first "good"/"modern" (both relative terms!) tt was a Philips GA-308 I purchased used from hifi dealer in Baltimore, MD (ca. 1977). The 308 is quite similar to the 312, but without the fancy ;) FG DC motor belt drive and electric controls. The 308 also had a 10" rather than 12" platter. I loved that little rascal to pieces. It was a good cheap tt, sort of in the AR-XA school (but nicer looking, if not better built).

FULL DISCLOSURE: I do have a 212 in the basement nowadays... someplace.

Scan0014 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
I had a 212. What a total piece of junk.

Top Bottom